Large Scale Central

G SCALE MAD website announced to close as of Nov 1

I will miss their live steam forum, it was the best part. They should just keep the Live Steam, there is only one LGB live steamer and is actually made by Aster;-)… and no Newquida live steamers on the horizon, well, not yet… and if they show up, they may share the fate of Bachmann’s attempt. Best, Zubi

You are spot on with these comments, there is a lot more to this than a few posts about NQ or LGB. Shame though but people will be people.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Jerry Barnes said:
............ I would think he could just ban those bothering him and move on. Guess he's sensitive?
Sensitive? Hmmm I guess one could put it like that! Speaking from personal experience I'd say he's much [b] too sensitive[/b], either that or not consistent enough, which is a problem if you run a website and a forum.

OTOH I would have thought he has enough moderators to keep things in check; pity though that exactly those foamers who apparently didn’t like my comments and/or my writing style and bitched in the background - now where did that happen also? - are biting the hand which previously stroked them.
Looks like the typical “what goes around comes around” situation.

G A Watson said:
You are spot on with these comments, there is a lot more to this than a few posts about NQ or LGB.
You should have seen the crap that went on here before Bob (owner and solo moderator) put his foot down! Though none was directed towards Bob (we luv him!).

-Brian

There are people on GSM seriously treatening violence against other members, I prefer the way this site is run thank y

Brian Donovan said:
G A Watson said:
You are spot on with these comments, there is a lot more to this than a few posts about NQ or LGB.
You should have seen the crap that went on here before Bob (owner and solo moderator) put his foot down! Though none was directed towards Bob (we luv him!).

-Brian

Spelling corrected by an Aussie

said:
There are people on GSM seriously treating violence against other members, I prefer the way this site is run thank you.
Brian Donovan said:
G A Watson said:

-Brian

I always applaud treating violence. On the other hand [b]threatening[/b] serious violence is to be abhorred.

Geoff,

There’s no accounting for the way some people display their true character on the internet; they are in dire need of a life if they actually threaten violence. Problem is … these are quite possibly the same people who tell others “it’s just a hobby, they are just toys, they are all toys” etc. etc.
Basically I would see a fair measure of humour in a situation of people arguing which is “the real toy”, if that was what they were doing prior to getting “more detailed and specific”. :lol: :lol:

It sure takes all kinds. :smiley: :wink: :smiley:

PS Full disclosure: One day I ran into one of the MLSers at a LS shop, after a ten minute conversation: “ah you’re HJ!? As funny in real life as on the forum.” :slight_smile: (Not that “Idler” would agree, afterall it’s an acquired taste :wink: )

The fiasco going on over the pond reminds me of that classic piece of British literature, “Lord of the Flies”. The king has not even closed the doors of the palace and the rabble are using his site to plan their next big adventure. Suddenly, members are awash with generosity, pledging 25 quid a pop to fund the new site. Maybe the king might be wondering how come the generosity was not so prevalent when he was lord and master of his domain and digging deep into his pockets? Such is the way, as some countries are well known for deposing their king and raising a usurper in his place. Time though will tell and the king will regroup and once again challenge for right to rule. There are definite contenders for who wants to be the next king. The king, at least, was offered a token role as honourary head of state in the new empire. Will the new Oliver Cromwell stand up please?

While I have not been an active member of G Scale Mad, I recognize that there is a LOT of good information posted there that soon is going away. I therefore would like to make a suggestion to those that would like to maintain access to all of that knowledge.

Download and archive the entire site!

I’ve used HT Track - a freeware program designed to copy an entire website (I’ve used it to download all the National Park websites for a trip to the Four Corners area, for example). The software is here:

http://www.httrack.com/

It is usable with most major internet browsers - I use Firefox and have had no problems with it. One caveat with it is to tell it to go no more than 3 links deep, otherwise it may take many hours and GB’s to store everything. You can also specify what types of file extensions this it is, or is not, to copy. Make sure you have it copy jpeg, pdf, avi, xls, and similar files so some day down the road you want to look at a photo or pdf attached to a given post and it’s actually there when you click on it!

Brian

"While I have not been an active member of G Scale Mad, I recognize that there is a LOT of good information posted there that soon is going away. I therefore would like to make a suggestion to those that would like to maintain access to all of that knowledge.

I’ve used HT Track - a freeware program designed to copy an entire website (I’ve used it to download all the National Park websites for a trip to the Four Corners area, for example). The software is here:

It is usable with most major internet browsers - I use Firefox and have had no problems with it. One caveat with it is to tell it to go no more than 3 links deep, otherwise it may take many hours and GB’s to store everything. You can also specify what types of file extensions this it is, or is not, to copy. Make sure you have it copy jpeg, pdf, avi, xls, and similar files so some day down the road you want to look at a photo or pdf attached to a given post and it’s actually there when you click on it!

Brian"

Presumably comes with an automatic copyright disclaimer ?

Edited due crap spelling on my part.

Brian said:
While I have not been an active member of G Scale Mad, I recognize that there is a LOT of good information posted there that soon is going away. I therefore would like to make a suggestion to those that would like to maintain access to all of that knowledge.

Brian

Very timely! I needed a freeware website downloader for work. Have tried a few and been disappointed. HT Track seems to work. Thanks!!

G Scale Central was created to take over from G Scale Mad. It’s about the same, but a bit easier to use and to upload pix to, I think. So, if you liked G Scale Mad, try it out.
www.gscalecentral.co.uk

That sure was fast. Korm told me last Friday a replacement was being worked on.
Ralph

G Scale Central is OK. BUT!!!

I liked the “view new topics” pages and the “mark all forums as read” function at GSM.
Also, I believe the only way to insert multiple pics on a single posting is with HTML code. WYSIWYG would be nice.

I understand that all those things are being worked on.

Ralph Berg said:
That sure was fast. Korm told me last Friday a replacement was being worked on. Ralph
Sheesh Ralph, getting a forum up and running only takes a day, as long as you use RTR software. ;) :)
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Ralph Berg said:
That sure was fast. Korm told me last Friday a replacement was being worked on. Ralph
Sheesh Ralph, getting a forum up and running only takes a day, as long as you use RTR software. ;) :)
I know, HJ. I've played around with several open source forum server programs. But I type slow.

It was up less than a week after the anouncement. There are many things to do before
the server goes live.
Ralph

it now seems even g-scale central has vanished.

dave wiskochil said:
it now seems even g-scale central has vanished.
I just went on it and registered

GSC just did an website upgrade. Its still around you may need to look around and once you find it follow the instructions on the home page to reregister, its pretty easy.

http://www.gscalecentral.co.uk/

Well, as Jerry Barnes can tell you, I’m on the new forum as well, and very useful it has been over the last week or so.

As for GSM, well, it was pretty shameful that the foamers offered to literally beat the livin’ sh*t out of it and its owner. Jason, who is a bus-driver in the real world, had his own set of problems coping with the busy schedules of night-driving as well as running a site propagated by a bunch of abusive malcontents.

I lasted only a couple of months on GSM, before I had a major come-uppance with one of the mods, who took great exception to me posting a note that Loco-box, a small-time builder of interesting little Garraatt-type live-steamers, seemed to be pretty good value for money.

I was accused, literally, of using profane and abusive language on the site, and causing great offence and upset to the vast populace of non-steamers.

I therefore took myself away and never went back.

It seemed that if you had a strange name and sat in the dark fondling a red catalogue and droobling over the ‘looking at the box’ and ‘the opening of the box’ and ‘the worship of the contents of the box’ that you might well have fitted in with the vast [and illiterate] majority of the membership there.

Perhaps I was wise to have left before it got really nasty.

Sad to say that an element appears to have moved over to the new site - I have already experienced some extremely unpleasant personal remarks [now deleted] and sundry mutterings off-stage from a few of the former members of GSM.

tac
www.ovgrs.org

TAC did you see that mine and another members comments about Heir Pluta’s own comments about how Marklin screwed the pooch and lost LGB molds to Kader were removed? …for being “potentially inflamatory” I was told. OK its not my forum but its a little disturbing to see them walking on egg shells around Newquida still.

Besides I already got one strip against me for posting a funny Robot Chicken video in an OT Star Wars thread, that even tho had been language bleeped for good moral folks, was still considered offensive enough for me to garner a strike…alittle thin skinned IMHO.

When I get my Thomas/Percy surgurical face-ectomy going I’ll have to take some interesting pictures. :open_mouth: :lol: