Large Scale Central

G Scale Central

The British based garden railway forum is looking for new members from outside the UK. Anyone interested is most welcome to come have a look and join the party. I’ve been a member for quite some time and I find it welcoming to all types of modelers.

https://www.gscalecentral.net

well i stopped using it.
way too often that one does not have access
or has to search for a long forgotten password.

Quite number have quit it.

Here is a list of some of their “registered active users”…

“Yahoo!, Google (AdSense) (3), Google (9)”

Yes, I know LSC has some of these trackers, but they are not active members.

That used to be a good site. The old owner got tired of being the goat for everyone to kick and gave it up 5 or so years ago. The then new owners were a bit of control freaks, deleting memberships that may not have been visiting in a while (what ever length of time that was). I personally have registered with the site a couple of times, but the primarily European flavor has not particularly appealed to me so I stopped going. Not bashing the site, just not my cup of tea.

Too much “G” and not enough “Scale” for my taste. But better not mention that …

I joined, then somehow got into a state where I had to be activated, and no amount of emails got it done.

Not enough there either.

Greg

G Scale Central has suffered from the same problem as LSC did a few years ago.

Too many members who wanted to talk about politics rather than trains. When those protagonists at GSC were told to desist they got in a snitch, spat the dummy and left. Lately to great fanfare. Oh!! “woe is me he cried. I am miffed and I am going to take my bat and ball and leave”. Well I say leave and good riddance. If’n you can’t play nice then don’t play at all.

I don’t mind control freaks. These are train sites for crying out loud. Not places to vent your spleen. Leave all that political *hit at home and don’t bring it to our hobby.

I have had no technical trouble with GSC. Everything works like it should and no problems registering. I rather like the way the 1st unread post buttons work.

I guess it is still a place to go to avoid barnyard animules and fruitcakes…but there are a few real nut cases there.

I think, I’ll stay here and just enjoy correcting spelling mistakes, and learning a lot about the hobby, of MODEL RAILROADING, in defined scales.

I find a few things there of interest. Site seems to work okay for me. I’ve modeled some UK stuff, so it works out for me.

Well, I have read some of the replies here and find no real reasons why any forum is better than any other.

If we may recall “My Large Scale” forum, there was alot of bickering there. That’s why I don’t visit the site any more. I see the same behavior here, although it has improved as some of the members have commented on their own “Less than nice” statements.

As for fruitcakes, they’re everywhere.

The one thing I found on G Scale Central was a sense of humor that doesn’t exist here or I didn’t see on My Large Scale.

Ross Mansell said:

Quite number have quit it.

About five years ago, I had had the temerity to accuse a bunch of red box foamers of being red box foamers, and advised them that there were other trains out there that us live-steamers enjoyed.

The result was a barrage of insulting and highly offensive PMs, including threats of actual bodily harm being done to me if I dared show my face at a LS train meet.

Needless to say, I went to the meet and had a great time, in spite of a couple of the others there having a quiet mutter into their soop.

I took one of them aside, and asked him pointblank if HE had been one of the threat posters, and he reluctantly agreed that it was so. I then advised him that although I was getting on in life, I was still more than capable of tearing his face off and giving it back to him in a paper bag, and we parted, not quite friends, but fully understanding each other.

Shortly after that, the lady who ran the site banned me, saying that I was a disruptive presence on the site, and that, friends, was that.

tac
Ottawa Valley GRS

Dan, you want a sense of humor? Check out the build logs for Mik’s Build Challenge 2015, in the modeling forum.

I’m over there, I like the site, its the only place left where the venerable R1 is still accepted as a viable choice for new layout designing.

Funny about the ‘sense of humor’ note. When it first started I tried posting something I thought was hi-larious, and almost immediately was put on notice that I had one strike against me, huh???, when I doth protest, I got 2 strikes, one more and I’d be banned! I was very surprised at how easy it was to offend so I just left the humor at the door. I only post modeling stuff now, I still post the occasional reply that bears my absurdest sense of humor, but I’m alot more subtle about it these days as not to step on anyone’s toes.

Funny thing, way back then I was so certain I was going to be shown the door I even had a new signature avatar ready for it. I still keep it, just for laughs because I think its one of my better image hack jobs:

:wink:

Vic, that is funny.

I had no strikes against me, my membership was just not renewed/transferred when the “change of the guard” happened. Someone in that clique of moderators just didn’t like my comments about the boys in Nürnberg. Combine that with my “Less Gummi and more scale” disposition and it was almost a given.

Did you mention R1? perfectly suitable for “OldTyme” streetcar trackage and small industrial railways in 1:13.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Vic, that is funny.

I had no strikes against me, my membership was just not renewed/transferred when the “change of the guard” happened. Someone in that clique of moderators just didn’t like my comments about the boys in Nürnberg. Combine that with my “Less Gummi and more scale” disposition and it was almost a given.

Did you mention R1? perfectly suitable for “OldTyme” streetcar trackage and small industrial railways in 1:13.

David Russell said:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Vic, that is funny.

Hmmmm a quote with no comment, what an interesting proposition. As far as GSC and similar fora go “Too much G and not enough scale” is how I see it.

Fifteen years of LS fora and groups have taught me a few things among them a) if one is interested in scale based on a prototype it is a waste of time to hang out in groups that aren’t interested in either b) “G” along with “Scale” in a forum title are a pretty good indication of the niveau of the forum, i.e. it’s that old gauge/scale mix-up which is almost humorous. c) at LSC there are enough good modelers and good ideas in all aspects of the hobby. There is no need to wear a hair shirt and get bored by manufacturer centric bull roar.
Of course that is, like always, strictly my opinion. (http://rhb-grischun.ca/phpBB3/images/smilies/3.gif)

Scale, Toylike or Toy, Gauge, Live Steam, Track Powered, Battery Powered, Radio Controlled, etc. All of these are the likes of someone. Each of us has our favorite subject. To put down someone else’s interests is childish. Notice I said “interests”, not modeling skills. If you are not interested in a subject, don’t read it. If you do and don’t like what you see, just go away from that page.

I suggested a new heading at GSC for Field Railways or Feldbahn. It was met with luke warm enthusiasm. My reason for the suggestion was that obviously, I am interested in the subject, and also to let those not keen on field railways see the heading and ignore it if they choose to.

I am not bashing GSC as I enjoy the site. But merely trying to make the point that chocolate and vanilla were made because everyone cannot like the same thing all of the time.

By the way Vic, I got a real kick out of your post!

Vic
Tramcar Trev would have loved your standby Avatar!

Tac
Those people were probably the same who caused Jason to shutdown GSCALEMAD.

Dan Padova said:

The British based garden railway forum is looking for new members from outside the UK. Anyone interested is most welcome to come have a look and join the party. I’ve been a member for quite some time and I find it welcoming to all types of modelers.

https://www.gscalecentral.net

Think they were actually looking for moderators from the rest of the wordl due different time zones (USA. NZ and Oz) as opposed to clients…