Large Scale Central

FLYING CAMERA or UAV

Two weeks ago I acquired a Phantom II Vision Flying Camera to use in my geologic work, but also to fly above friends’ layouts and photograph them from the air. I am getting some amazing still images and videos with the 14 megapixel camera, 72 dpi with jpeg images, or 300 dpi with RAW images. And the apparatus is fun and easy to fly. The flamethrowers (= rivet counters) look down their noses at the Phantom, but boy golly does it work for me and do what I need and want it to do. I’ll post some images of layouts when I get around to photographing them. In the meantime I am learning how to get the most out of this camera and its capabilities.

Now, THAT’S some pictures I want to see!

Can everyone afford one of these? I ask this and I know what some of these guys pay for a Live Steamer.

That one is probably the best bang for the buck — http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/999838-REG/dji_djphvision_phantom_vision.html read the reviews — but still a bit rich for hobby use.

PS some months back there was an article in Videomaker (http://www.videomaker.com/article/15795-attack-on-the-drones-is-shooting-with-a-drone-camera-legal) about the legal ins and (mostly) outs for these gizmos.

Yikes!

Still cheaper than live steam. Hmmm I wonder if they make a steam version helicopter?

It would be nice if I could see the pictures but I just see blank squares.

Art,

How about some Aerial video!

Please notice, dear readers, that I did not call it a d—e, but a flying camera or UAV or UAS. D—e has very negative connotations.

Han-Joerg: Thanks for posting URLs for additional information. Especially interesting is the URL about the legality and possible future legislation pertaining to private use of flying cameras. I might say, regarding price, that my flying camera cost little more than I paid for an LGB mogul. Like everything, Lou, you get what you pay for, and with the Phantom II, you get a lot.

Chuck: I have no explanation for why you are getting blank squares. The images show up fine for me, and I followed all the rules for posting them. Sorry.

Dan: Tomorrow I’ll post a real nice hi res still image I took. I do not intend to shoot many videos, if any at all, but I can tell you the ones I’ve taken for practice give a totally different feeling about the world around you. My work requires hi res stills. I may get to a train meet on Saturday to shoot a layout - or I may be moved to shoot my own. Unfortunately, I have a lot of obstacles around and above mine.

Looking forward to seeing what you’re you too!

To get an idea on what the flying cameras can do check this Mt biking video. Watch the first few minutes. Its amazing the shots you can get.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/3Ah8EwyeUho[/youtube]

That ramp is ridiculous and they do some crazy bike stunts in that video.

I got a GoPro camera a few months back and thought about getting one of those Phantom type rigs to fly it and to be able to take some airiel shots for my real estate business but when I read reviews about them taking off never to be seen again it scared me. It would be a bit depressing to see a $1000 dollars fly off.
Still those cameras and Phantom flyers are really really cool.

Have fun with it Art

Todd Haskins said:

That ramp is ridiculous and they do some crazy bike stunts in that video.

I got a GoPro camera a few months back and thought about getting one of those Phantom type rigs to fly it and to be able to take some airiel shots for my real estate business but when I read reviews about them taking off never to be seen again it scared me. It would be a bit depressing to see a $1000 dollars fly off.
Still those cameras and Phantom flyers are really really cool.

Have fun with it Art

Todd,

Go to these reviews http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Aerial-Drone-Quadcopter/product-reviews/B00AGOSQI8 and have a read. The model for the GoPro is $500 AND it supposedly heads for home if gets out of control reach. Read the best negative review (RH side).

OTOH you can always take up extreme downhill skiing, white water kayaking or mountain biking to have good use for the GoPro.

Todd, the early Phantoms had a lot of problems that have been rectified in the Phantom II Vision. In the two weeks I’ve had mine, it has performed perfectly. You can buy the Phantom II without the Vision camera, put a special gimbel on it, and then mount a GoPro. The main problem now, as I understand it, is that both the GoPro and the Phantom II are controlled via separate WiFi signals that are prone to become confused. I concluded that I would wait until the manufacturer got all that straightened out. In the meantime, my purpose for my original post is just to say that this Vision camera acquires still images of the high quality I need for my book. Get on Google to see the really nice videos others have taken and posted. I said yesterday that I would post a couple aerial shots I’ve taken to show you what it has done for me. See below. And yes, Todd, I’m having a lot of fun!

cactus garden

This is not a model train layout. It is a cactus garden, taken merely to show you the kind of view you can get of a backyard model train layout.

ranch view

This view was taken at an elevation of about 300’ above the ground, and it shows you what you can do if you have an especially large layout you wish to photograph.

Nice pictures Art. Is that you standing next to the cactus garden?

Chuck

Chuck Inlow said:

Nice pictures Art. Is that you standing next to the cactus garden?

Chuck

hehehe

I don’t think so, looks like Manuel who does the manual labor.

Retract that last comment Hans-Joerg.

Art Sylvester said:

Retract that last comment Hans-Joerg.

He can’t Art, cause it’s not in his nature to admit he was wrong instead of right because he constantly thinks he is.

Well guys, those who have been here for a while know that I call it as I see it. But whoever is in that picture has a nice tan and a colourful shirt.

Oh another thing, in this house PC still stands for Personal Computer rather than Politically Correct.

Being rude and showing a lack of respect have nothing to do with being Politically Correct.

When one sticks his foot in his mouth, the polite thing to do is remove it and apologize.
Following it up with the other foot, is rather crass.
Ralph

Considering the source, does it surprise you?