Large Scale Central

flop stub switch?

Pete Thornton said:

Devon,

While your thinking is correct - pushing the pivoted bar/stub rail in the middle will give you twice the movement at the end; you also need twice the force. I think you are going to run into problems with dust/dirt making operation unreliable. Just running a wheel over an actuator is fine as long as the loco is heavy, but the pilot wheels may just ride over it and potentially derail. You’d be better with a tall rod (1" long?) sticking up in the air that rotates 90 deg to move the stub. Once it is pushed by the train it stays lying down and the one on the other leg pops up.

On the issue of lining up the rails - you need a small ‘stop’ on the outside end of the fixed rails that the stubs can rest against in positive alignment.

This is for indoor so dirt and debris are not going to be an issue. I agree I wouldn’t even consider this for outside for just this reason. I have already in place the stops. I used spikes that stick up a bit, works great. I have the actuator bar already in place and working albeit not operating anything and the way it is designed It really isn’t possible to ride up on it I think. I will show a pick of it when I get back to the states. I am in Canada right now. I am worried about the whole thing require to much effort to move but so far everything moves relatively free. We will see, its an experiment, but I am feeling good about it so far.

Just to clarify the actuator is not pushed down it is pushed over.

David Russell said:

What tap did you use to thread the fish hooks and at what pitch? You are cutting threads on some pretty hard metal unless you fish with cheap hooks and if that’s the case you must miss a lot of fish from setting the hook while fishing.

First of I am not taping them I am using a die (making outside threads not inside threads). And it is a cheap jewelers die thing.

like this one. I hate the taps but the die works decent. It threads even hard music wire. As to the hooks I don’t use cheap hooks. These are Mustad 90 degree jig hooks for making my own bass jigs. Don’t recall the size. As to the pitch I have no idea. the 1.1mm die threads decent enough to hold a 00-9 nut. I won’t call this ideal. I want a good set of standard taps and dies. I bought this and it works so I am using it.