Large Scale Central

Firetruck

Much better. Great idea!

Incredible! Looks pretty authentic to me. I didn’t even know that hobby extruders were available. I wonder if my son’s Playdough press would work? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)Can’t wait to see how this truck shapes up. It’s off to a great start.

Wow!

Looks like firehose to me. Course I wouldn’t want to be the guy that has to stuff it all back on the truck…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Known as flaked hose (in the UK anyway) Ken. In my experience - but other may know of different methods - the hose was formed into that shape using a wooden tray. The hose was slid off the tray into the position required - in the pictures case the back of a truck. In my experience it was loaded into a dedicated locker at the rear of the pump. The model here is a fine one especially for a time when life was a little slower.

Looks good!

Wonder if you could get the same look with slightly cooked wheat pasta then clear coat it?? hehe

I did want to tell you that if you do a coiled hose on a reel that you might want to look at black automotive braided vacuum line. It comes in pretty small sizes (like VW diesel injector hose)

Wow, amazing… very cool

Yeah, Bruce… What Bob said…

Uh Bruce yu went from not so good, to well that’s not bad to, holy crap miniature fire hose. That is just awesome.

Devon Sinsley said:

Uh Bruce yu went from not so good, to well that’s not bad to, holy crap miniature fire hose. That is just awesome.

Hehe. I think it was more like “What was I thinking?” to “I wish I had thought harder” to “Yeah, not too shabby at all”.

But thanks. I am REALLY pleased with that extruder. Now I’m going to have to use Sculpey for something else.

Great project, very interesting! I’ll have to remember that extruder in case I ever need to do something like that.

When you extended the frame, what did you use to join the brass to the die cast metal?

Ray Dunakin said:

Great project, very interesting! I’ll have to remember that extruder in case I ever need to do something like that.

When you extended the frame, what did you use to join the brass to the die cast metal?

Ray, I used JB Weld. It’s a two part epoxy that is very strong.

Great idea. It reminds me a little of pasta though!

Great project Bruce and a lot of good ideas for future use. I trust we might see it in York.

Doc Watson

Don Watson said:

Great project Bruce and a lot of good ideas for future use. I trust we might see it in York.

Doc Watson

York is only a few weeks away. I just don’t see it being completed in time; but, you just never know! You will get to see the grocery store.

And, maybe I’ll bring this as a work in progress. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

I hope the snow is gone by then!

Bruce Chandler said:

York is only a few weeks away. I just don’t see it being completed in time; but, you just never know! You will get to see the grocery store.

Well, what else is there to do with a foot of snow on the ground…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ken Brunt said:

Course I wouldn’t want to be the guy that has to stuff it all back on the truck…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Believe me, it sucks.

That hose looks great!

Dave, did you guys accordion load hose? Was wondering why it was done that way and who else does/did it? We had one truck that had a horseshoe load but everything else is flat loaded and hand lines have a minute man load on top.

T

Terry, the only time I’ve seen hose laid accordion style was on parade pieces. Ours was flat lay in two adjoining hose beds 600’ per side connected. Then we had two beds for dwelling lines 300’ each with 150’ laid flat and 150’ set to be shouldered into the house.

Accordion lay will pull the whole bed as soon as you move forward and leave you with a jumble in the street. But it gives a great look for parades because all is nice and even on the ends. We also carried rolled hose. Folded in half then rolled for hand lines and use. Straight rolled when wet and going back to the house to hang it for drying.

Worst was when it was frozen to the street and you had to put that mess in the bed anyway you could to get back to the house to thaw it out so you could hang it or re-lay it.

Laid as above the hose flakes off the top of the pile and connects to your water source. Also note the bed dividers to separate the hose.

Yes this really does happen and will definitely convince the car owner that he/she should not block a hydrant.

A parade piece. If you look close you will note a board behind the top of the hose.and it looks like the hose only goes back about 1’.

So as you can see either way is fine for our builds.

Bruce: top notch! You have really turned a proverbial sow’s ear into a silk purse.