Large Scale Central

EXERCISING ANNIE

Hi all, We had a beautiful March afternoon today, sunny and almost 70 degrees but the clouds were building fast for a rain storm due in tonight. It seemed like a perfect time to let the yard work wait and run a train. The Annie had a Barry’s drive train installed last Fall and has had very little running time since. Serendipity is a wonderful thing on a sunny day. Here are a few pictures from the afternoons fun.

![

!

Thanks for taking a look.
Rick

PS Richard, does that string of cars look familiar?

Rick the pictures look great.
How do you like that BBT drive. I love the seven I have.
RR looks great as well.

Really great photos. Do you have more photos of that silver bridge? I’m thinking about adding decking to [url=

(http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/046/7/2/train_on_the_bridge_by_southwestchief-d4ptq6e.jpg)

]my steel bridges[/url] and wondered how you did it? Garden Metal Models bridge ties? Looks nice.

I’m jealous…a little too chilly here to run trains, but I’ll enjoy looking at your pix anyway…:wink:

Looking good Marty. Annies are such a good looking engine, a little detailing and light weathering like you have done really brings them to life. I have two that haven’t moved in several years. Time to change that.

No matter how hard I try, I simply do not like my “Annie”. I don’t know why but something about the proportions really throws it off. I’ve done minor “tweaks” and still I don’t like it. A real shame as it runs as smooth as a Swiss watch.

Seeing your mods has re-ignighted my desire to give the old gal a much needed radical face-lift. I like what you did with the pilot and the tender (LOVE the tender!). I think a new 1:20.3 cab, pilot, and complete tender bash are on the agenda for this spring!

Nice work.

That is a beautiful looking loco, very well detailed and the ground level photography really brings it to life, too!

Nice to see your Annie earning her keep.

That is one very fine looking Annie. I really like what you did to the tender.
Can you post some pics of the tender??? and how you did it??

Thanks

Rodney

Rick, great pictures of the train and layout… :slight_smile:

Mark V said:
No matter how hard I try, I simply do not like my "Annie". I don't know why but something about the proportions really throws it off.
Mark, I guess you don't like the prototype, as the general proportions of the "Annie" are pretty much spot on. I have quite a few pictures of #12 at Tweetsie. Ralph

Well call me silly Ralph, I had no idea there was a prototype! And you are correct, very close in appearance.

I think it’s the Bachmann’s severe taper from the boiler to the smoke-box that I don’t like. Bear in mind it’s not like I hate it, I just don’t like it. I do like the raised tender height in Rick Marty’s example. I also like what Jack Thompson did to his. It may actually be that the tender mods alone would re-proportion the whole loco into something I like better. We’ll see!

I’d say it’s the factory pilot…it really takes away from it’s appearance. The tender pretty much looks like that in ‘real life’. We’re planning to visit ole #12 as soon as they open :slight_smile:

Here’s a shot from a few years ago…

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/thejoat/_forumfiles/IMG_4615.JPG)

The Annie is sort of a mish-mash of different scales. I redid mine with a new boiler, cab and tender, as well as domes and some other details. Not much resemblance, now.

(http://jbrr.com/assets/images/IMG_6382.JPG)

Mark, The boiler to smokebox taper is correct. The green paint kind of hides it, but it’s there :wink:

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/cabby/_forumfiles/S1030111cM.jpg)

Rick, I also love what you’ve done with your Annie and would also like to see some more pictures of the tender. Ralph Cale, Just about the time I give up on you, you re-appear. You know how to get a hold of me :wink:

Ralph,

That last picture really does look like the Bachmann!

I’ve seen yours before Bruce…Nice, very nice.

And just to be clear, Bachmann did more for this hobby with the introduction of the 10-wheeler than any manufacturer outside of LGB (who really started it eh?). How many have been brought into this hobby because of those sets? I love it for that alone!

@ Mark V…I totally agree with your last statement. And what other Loco as finely detailed (The Annie version) can you regularly pick up for less than a 100 bucks on the net.
@ Rick… I too would be interested to see your tender mods up close as well as the pilot modification. Really like the look you have achieved. And what Annie did you start with?

Mark V said:
And just to be clear, Bachmann did more for this hobby with the introduction of the 10-wheeler than any manufacturer outside of LGB (who really started it eh?). How many have been brought into this hobby because of those sets? I love it for that alone!
YEP that is how I got started in large scale

And now with the updated Annie with all metal gear should help even more.

Great pics Rick

Rick great pitures. The annie looks great.