Large Scale Central

EXERCISING ANNIE

Those are some great fake rocks! And threads on you building the scenery???

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments. Glad you liked the pictures.
We sure had fun yesterday and glad we did. Today is a
miserable day, weather wise, no rain but cold and windy.

To answer a few questions about my version of the Annie.
I bought the black unlettered version from Train World in 2000-2001 when
they had the introductory price of 129 dollars on them. I ran it for a year
or so then just had to do something about that coal load in the tender.
“My” railroad is all oil burning so a fuel bunker was in order. I looked
around for ideas but mostly just played it by ear and built the bunker.

That held me for a while. A year or so later I couldn’t stand the “cow catcher”
look any longer so built a new step pilot beam to replace it. Well long as I had
it on the bench I might as well shorten the back head (1/2 inch) and add a step plate.
Hmmmm, shure would look better with a 1:20 scale cab, so that happened.

A couple years later, I decided I just had to have Battery, RC, and sound, so on to the bench
it went again for another rebuild. That was my first electronics project and with lots of
professional help (Thanks Jonathan) it came out perfect.

The loco ran great, then one day at a show it was scooped right out of the carrying cradle by
a passing handrail and took a header on the concrete floor, loco and tender were picked up
and put in a paper box. After about a month I finally dumped it all out on the work bench and
started the fourth rebuild. Actually it wasn’t damaged nearly as bad as it had looked and we
were up and running again in just a few days.

The last rebuild was the installing and refitting of the loco superstructure to the Barry’s Big Trains
drive train. That went well but took a little extra tweeking because of previous modifications, like
shortening the back head.
I probably only have a dozen hours on the new drive train and after a couple of adjustments is running like a watch, very smooth and sure.

All the gabble above is just to let you know that this loco, like most of mine, are/is a work in progress
spreading over a decade or more.

I will get some pictures of the modifications and post them in a few days.

Matt,
I will get some pictures of the bridge deck for you.

Thanks for your interest.
Rick

Rick Marty said:
All the gabble above is just to let you know that this loco, like most of mine, are/is a work in progress spreading over a decade or more.
I'm learning patience Rick and just learning from your pictures! :)

What a picture, !!!

Barry - BBT

Your beautiful work is inspiring me to tear one of my Annie’s apart.

Hi Matt, Here is some shots of the bridge taken today, hope they are what you wanted to see. The basic construction is 1/2 inch steel tubing and 1/8 inch steel rod. Built for 1:20 scale equipment with a little extra room thrown in for good measure. The bridge is 76 inches long 12 inches wide and 16 inches high and is mounted with a single lag bolt at each end. This mounting system allows for quick removal of the bridge for service.

The wooden deck is built from old growth Redwood and is a drop in modular piece that is mounted with screws through the steel tubing from underneath. This allows for quick separation of the deck from the frame for painting and oiling.

This deck view shows that the guard rails are just timber on the outside of the running rails and catwalks and safety cables are in place. This section of the railroad has track power available so there is a jumper wire with plugs at each end and slip rail joiners are used for track alignment

As you can see from the weathering on the wood the bridge has been in place for about 5 years and it was built before I had a nail gun ;):slight_smile: Thanks for your interest.
Rick

Thanks a bunch for the bridge photos Rick. Now I see why it looks so good. Handlaid rails on wood ties. Nothing looks as good as the real thing. These photos will certainly be useful when I add decking to my bridges:

(http://i.imgur.com/SYmRT.jpg)

Thanks again.

When I see the metal bridge building being done by members on this list I regret I never learned to weld when I was younger!

Doug Arnold said:
When I see the metal bridge building being done by members on this list I regret I never learned to weld when I was younger!
Never too late to learn :) Wire arc welders are cheap now. I wonder if they make welding masks with magnification built-in.
Jon Radder said:
Doug Arnold said:
Never too late to learn :) Wire arc welders are cheap now. I wonder if they make welding masks with magnification built-in.
Yes, they do.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MILLER-Welding-Helmet-Magnifying-Lens-2AAV2

For those of you that wanted additional pictures of the Annie modifications, here you go. The front pilot deck was rebuilt with a different (and separate) mounting to the frame. An KD #820 and box was adapted for use.

You can see the backhead was moved forward by cutting about 1/2 inch from the end of the boiler. The deck plate is a piece of quilted aluminum.

The engine end of the tender. You can see the old holes for wires/controls from an earlier rebuild. The stock Annie tender deck was covered with wood planks and the water tank installed over them. The oil tank was scratched from Styrene.

The rear view shows the end beam and KD coupler. The ladder is made from silver solder rod as per Whipple and the grease buckets disguise the charging jack and volume switch.

The top view shows the oil tank hatches as well as the pump and heater piping.

The oil tank “top” is popped off to show the battery and electronics. The AirWire card is on a pedestal and is up inside the oil tank part when reassembled.

Hope this is what you wanted to see. Any questions, just ask.
Thanks for the interest.
Rick

Nice!
:slight_smile:

Very nice pics, Rick. I’ve got a Tweensie Annie sitting on my workbench waiting to get modified. I may steal a few ideas from your build.

Thanks for the pics, Rick. Nice Airwire install.

Popping this old post back up per a request for information.

Couldn’t seem to get the link to him in the messages,

Sorry about that

Rick

Annie’s pictures are back from the rip track.

2 Likes