Large Scale Central

Eric's coach projects

I have some small coaches which are freelance but NEED to have some proper WW&F coaches like this:

Of course I am fortunate enough to be able to look touch and study the real deal. I had started out with a drawing from one of the books but found that unsatisfactory. And as the WW&F wants to build a replica coach, I have taken on the job of documenting coach #3 which was built new for the Wiscasset and Quebec railway in 1894 by Jackson and Sharp in Delaware.

in order to get this kind of detail, I had to really get into the car and study everything. I had to strip off the siding on a section of the car to see the framing…

dont worry, I put it back on after measuring it and studying it.

I peeled back some crumbling ceiling in the bathroom to look at the roof construction and studied 1890’s car construction to get this section view figured out:

there is some really neat detail on this car:

Well the detail required to build the real coach is MORE than sufficient to build a model. I got started a while back but got distracted building a library(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

On the real car, the bottom is sheathed with pine planking like was used on the sides. that meant that the model car could use a sheet of plywood as the floor, decorated with pine paneling underneath and spruce decking on top. oak bits for the needle beams and bolsters.

7/8th scale passenger trucks were developed by Steve King and are now offered by Jason at The Train Department (right side). they are not cheap but are really cool! I also got two old Steve King kits from a friend (left side). these kits take some work to assemble and a little fiddling but will be perfect under my cars. (I am building two coaches and a mail/baggage/express combine)

pretty impressive huh?

the coach sides will be built up rather than cut out. here are the two sides of one of the coaches. carefully cut “squares” of spruce and studs to support between the windows.

inside the car gets some dark cedar paneling to represent the real car’s interior

carefully milled pine makes up the outside window frames.

inside gets some cedar trim. not that the window sashes will come later. I plan for them to slide up and down between the inner and outer window frames, like the real car!

quarter round corner posts and milled basswood siding start to look complete!

and the baggage car as of this morning

That is impressive.

Amazing detail Eric. I’ll be following this (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I’m impressed!!..(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

These cars are going to be a great addition to your RR. You work fast in the model world and even faster in that video !

Really nice work, Eric

You need to get some good BEER for your crew cause the turpentine they are drinking just lays them out as shown!

Hey a guy gets to take a nap! He works really really hard! Just feel his muscles!

Wow!! That will be a nice coach when you are done. Look forward to seeing the completed model.

Realllly nice…, But then we wouldn’t expect anything less. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I really like the opened detail shots of the woodworkings. Great build there Eric(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Very nice Eric. More of your quality work.

Chris

The Delaware Public Archives has a collection of Jackson and Sharpe Photos…

Coach # 3 the last time it was in Wilmington 1894

and coach#1

now I am off to the shop…

You are fortunate that you have the Wiscassett RR to model from and get ideas or do they model from your ideas?

In your first photo that is a really neat flat car load. Will that be a future model?

Well there is some modeling Full scale from my Ideas! the drawing I am making will be used for the full size replica…Pretty cool! I have also done some drawings for a rebuilt WW$F #10 who’s boiler failed inspection and a new boiler is in process. We changed the look a little I drew them up!

This whole project, model and 1:1 is just too cool indeed, lots of skill involved. I’m jealous. With my joints though, I could never move as fast as you do in the video clip.

In that logo the ends of Wilmington ribbon look like stylized belts from heraldry.

The logo is actually from a 6 year newer car, the Sandy River RR “parlor” car called “Rangely” You can see the logo inside the door of coach #3 in the second photo, it is slightly different but of similar style. Currently there is a brass plaque asking passengers to please refrain…

Fancy Passenger cars take some fancy wood work. I made quite a bit of this quarter round for the car corners and for door openings. it is 3/8" I started with an inch plank of pine, rounded over two corners with my router, sawed off the rounded bits 3/8" then ripped that strip 3/8" and repeated.

baggage door frames:

End door frames:

The end windows window frames were assembled in place

the window frames leave slots so the window sash can slide up to open.

the baggage car window frames were made the same way.