Large Scale Central

Enola and Rockville with Andy and Ric

Why not?

Oh, OK. An old Nickel Plate telegrapher told me Enola was “alone” spelled backwards, which some say it is. Others say it’s a Native American name for various things (flowers, animals, etc). Then there are those who say Enola was a popular name of the era, taken from a character in a romance novel (no, not “50 Shades of Gray”). So pick yer poison (I’m stickin’ with "alone). What is known, according to Wicked Pedia, is that the town in Pennsylvania was named after Francis Miller’s 4-year-old daughter, Enola, whose daddy was a farmer who sold 2 acres of land to the Pennsy, which asked him to name their station. In time the local post office and town adopted the name as well.

Joe

My history books tell me the latter.

However since Ric wants to learn some history and you brought this up I will throw a trivia question out there that you might have a tough time finding on the internet unless you know the area.

There was another railyard just to the south of and pre dates Enola that was very historic. There was a structure from that yard which still survives to this day but not at that location. At the time the town was named Bridgeport.

1…What is the name of that town today?

2…Do you know what the structure was that I’m referring too?

1. Harristown

2. McDonalds

:slight_smile:

And with that ‘swoosh’ Andy get’s 3 points. All net. :wink:

1. Roosterville

2. A hen house

Lemoyne, PA

Switch tower now at Strasburg RR

Google triumphs again

Strasburg Rail Road - www.

www.rgusrail.com1900 × 1200Search by image
There is also a restored Pennsylvania Railroad switch tower built in 1885 (left) originally located in Lemoyne, PA, once part of the Pennsy’s Cumberland …

…winking…

Seriously?

And here I thought it was going to be South Enola.

Very good Rooster, that’s a great trivia question for railroad type questions.

Alex, I’ll take Railroad Stations for $500

OK, Identify this Union Station located approximately within 300 miles of Enola on a connecting railroad…

This station still stands today, but modern photos plainly show the name board, so you get a vintage photo.

Canaan is a town in Litchfield County, Connecticut, United States. The population was 1,081 at the 2000 census. The town of Canaan is often referred to locally by the name of its principal constituent village, Falls Village.

Jon you need to relocate the pic to make the challenge :wink: ;).

http://www.trainweb.org/rshs/cannan.jpg

http://www.iridetheharlemline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/fire.jpg

OK…the question I have involves “Union” it was called that because it served 2 railroads what were they? NO I"M NOT SEARCHING I’m asking Jon !

Ric Golding said:

Seriously?

Yes Ric seriously …Actually the bellcrank locomotive I built “Utility” serviced Bridgeport as it was the bridge locomotive. However it was dead before Lemo (the J tower) was built. However I’m sure the combination car (still alive at Strasburg) probably did. The Northern Central RR used CVRR trackage rights to cross the bridge and enter Harrisburg

Jon Radder said:

I don’t think there will be more pics. Ric and Andy didn’t have cameras out when we stopped.

You lied Jon!

Hollywood takes the $500. I will speak to the question committee about doing a better job of hiding clues.

Rooster - The railroads served were the Housatonic, later leased then purchased by the New Haven and the Central New England. CNE tracks were lifted years ago but the diamond existed a few years ago. I heard that the modern day Housatonic RR was going to remove the diamond, but I don’t know if that has been done yet.

Here’s a follow up question. This recent photo of Caanan Union Station shows the result of an arson fire several years ago. Before the fire it was the oldest continually operating station in the US. What is the status of the station today?

She’s been restored!

(http://canaanunionstation.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/31514_119311438111356_119309561444877_96737_7121634_n3.jpg)

Tis a mighty fine station no matter how you look at it

Yes! A heroic effort by locals to raise the funds to rebuild! Interesting that this is one of the largest stations near me, but Caanan itself is a pretty small town.