Large Scale Central

Enola and Rockville with Andy and Ric

With advice from Rooster and a little help from Google Earth, rail fan websites and our GPS; Ric, Andy and I (Jane and Jan were happy to stay in the car) did some exploring of the old PRR mainline around Harrisburg. First stop was the “Liberty Tax Service” parking lot that overlooks the NS Enola engine service facility…

It was bitterly cold and windy so we didn’t stay long. We continued North on 11/15 looking for additional views. I remembered an old stone underpass that connects with River Road and leads to a view of Rockvilel Bridge from a river access area. Our timing was almost perfect as a TOFC freight was just reaching the West shore as we arrived…

We continued South on River Road just as it began to snow to find a bridge I read about over the North end of Enola Yard. Again, timing was good as a pair of yard engines was working the classification yard. I read that the Conrail Historical Society arranged to have view ports cut in the bridge fence. This is a nice spot to shoot both the North end of Enola Yard and the main line. Here is that yard job…

If the weather had been warmer we would have probably stayed a bit longer, but as it was we would rather keep driving. Ric and Andy continued West following the main to Altoona and maybe Cresson. I don’t think either had a camera. I headed home via I-81/I-78.

That’s a nice spot to shoot the Rockville Bridge.
Ken & I found our way there last year.

Between Enola and Gallitzin we learned a lot over two days :wink:
Ralph

I love it!

Ya see you guys did great and didn’t need the guided tour! I forgot about the diner up the road on the bend leaving Marysville and assumed you guys knew Rockville Bridge was at the north end of Enola yard

:wink:

Edit: Jon you hit that lot shot at Liberty at the right time. Try that in a month or two the way this weather has been (sweet pic knowing the area)!

I could add to what you may or may not have missed but I’ll wait for the rest of the pics!

That’s AWESOME!

I don’t think there will be more pics. Ric and Andy didn’t have cameras out when we stopped. I only took a few more that weren’t posted.

I know what you mean about that spot - you can see the stems of the greenery in that first shot. In two months it will be a green wall.

John,

Great shots thanks for sharing. We stopped there the first time I ever went to the ECLSTS in 2000 or 2001.

Ralph Berg said:

Ralph

There’s another great spot on the South side of the bridge - the Bridgeview Bed & Breakfast. When it was under construction they allowed me in to take pictures. Now that they are open I thing the view is reserved for guests.

http://www.bridgeviewbnb.com/

Ralph Berg said:

Ralph

And it took us awhile to find it. I remembered the spot from a bus trip to Cass, but could not for the life of me remember how we got there. Eventually we looked it up on a map.

No, I didn’t get any pictures there… was too cold to go back and forth to the truck…

Did get some pics at Altoona yards, and Horseshoe curve from the road, looking up…

Andy Clarke said:

Did get some pics at Altoona yards, and Horseshoe curve from the road, looking up…

Waiting patiently :slight_smile:
Ralph

Nice pics, and glad you all enjoyed the scenes, but I’m waiting patiently with Ralph on the rest of the pics

I quit taking pictures years ago. Found its much easier to hang out with good to great photographers. It was a great adventure and, as I said before, putting the EBT in to its relationship with the outside World at Mt. Union from both directions was an added education and treat.

Roosta, ya done good!

Altoona Engine house area:

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jeclarke/eclsts_2014/Altoona%20Engine%20House%20Pic%201%20%203-23-2014%20.jpg)

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jeclarke/eclsts_2014/Altoona%20Engine%20House%20Pic%202%20%203-23-2014%20.jpg)

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jeclarke/eclsts_2014/Altoona%20Engine%20House%20turntable%20Pic%202%20%203-23-2014%20.jpg)

Altoona Yards from both sides of the Bridge:

Some shots of the tunnel area around Galitzin:

Some shots of Horseshoe Curve from the road:

Thanks Jane -

The “engine house” area is actually the Juniata Shops. PRR built many of their steam locomotives in the erecting shop there. Today it is an NS diesel rebuilding facility. The also do outshop work for many other railroads.

If you head North from Harrisburg, and get to Northampton, there is a great restaurant, in the station there. There is quite often great action there, and often it is during a great meal. Several years ago, Ed and Diane Mann, Gord and I, and another couple, were dining in the Station, while the branchline switcher, along with a bunch of CSX locos put on a great hour long show. Northampton is not a long drive North, and is worth the trip, after your early afternoon at Enola Yard.

If my map is correct Northampton, PA is North of Allentown, not too far off my route across I-78. Is this the town you speak of Fred? Definitely not on the NS mainline so I don’t think so.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/jeclarke/eclsts_2014/Altoona%20Engine%20House%20turntable%20Pic%202%20%203-23-2014%20.jpg)

I see a nice flatcar load for you modern diesel guys, secure the hoods to a flat and have it as a move of parts between 2 rebuild facilities. USA trains has shells every year at York show.

Jon…

Sorry…I bo-booed… North of Harrisburg, passed Sellinsgrove…Where Diane and Ed Mann live…

Northumberland PA… not Northamton

Northumberland is where the East and the West Branch of the Susquehanna come together to form the main river flowing south. The RR also follows that split.

Great pics guys!

BTW …Jon said “Erecting”