Large Scale Central

Enola and Rockville with Andy and Ric

Thanks Jane!
I forgot to tell Ric about the Railroad Museum in Altoona.
Right Downtown across the tracks from the station.
Ralph

Ralph Berg said:

Thanks Jane!
I forgot to tell Ric about the Railroad Museum in Altoona.
Right Downtown across the tracks from the station.
Ralph

Ralph, we went by it, but it was also closed… Seems nothing up there opens till 4 April…

Such a waste…

A few years ago we tried to find the Ma&Pa Museum. Not only was it closed for opening day of fishing season, it didn’t open until after Memorial Day!

Fred Mills, BSc, BS, SD said:

Jon…

Sorry…I bo-booed… North of Harrisburg, passed Sellinsgrove…Where Diane and Ed Mann live…

Northumberland PA… not Northamton

No problem Fred. Thanks for the correction.

Great pics!

On the drive home, we passed a flatbed truck loaded with part of a long hood. Don’t know if it was headed to the shops or someone’s back yard.

I’m glad I’m not the only one that ventures up to HorseShoe curve and it’s closed…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one that ventures up to HorseShoe curve and it’s closed…:wink:

Not to get political, but this was a perfect example of the bullies of government, whatever party, out of control. A perfectly good parking lot, closed by a large gate. So the building and tram are closed for the season, no problem. Budget, weather, politics whatever, but to close a slab of concrete, chat or asphalt and the cars parked along the road because the parking lots closed, just makes no sense.

C’mon, Ric, after a career in the Coast Guard, do you still insist that the gummint make sense? Its the gummint, it don’t hafta.

Ric Golding said:

Ken Brunt said:

Not to get political, but this was a perfect example of the bullies of government, whatever party, out of control. A perfectly good parking lot, closed by a large gate. So the building and tram are closed for the season, no problem. Budget, weather, politics whatever, but to close a slab of concrete, chat or asphalt and the cars parked along the road because the parking lots closed, just makes no sense.

I’m not sure what the reasoning was when I was there since both times were in the middle of summer. But Gallitzin and Cresson proved just as enjoyable…:wink:

The parking lot WAS open, but nothing else was.

At the risk of getting my own thread locked I’ll add this, then lets move back to the topic, OK?

I’m pretty sure the reason the lot is gated off is insurance. Closed in winter with no maintenance. Their insurance probably cuts them a nice break during the off season for reduced risk but insists that access to the property be cut off. If it wasn’t for all the law suit happy people today the lot would probably be open year round.

Jon, that can’t possibly be the reason. That makes sense. :slight_smile:

;-)

Jon who?

These explorations always provide more questions than answers.

When was the realignment of the Pennsy Main in the Mt. Union area? After the alignment, what was the traffic pattern with Mt. Union and as far as interchange was this after the EBT closed and how are pickups and drop offs handled? All by a local? Out of what yard?

(http://home.comcast.net/~vagelkeller/images/jackstn.gif)

West of Mt. Union the former PRR mainline passes through Jacks Narrows. This ca. 1910 postcard view looks east toward Mt. Union. NB (Jacks) tower clings to the riverbank in the distance. NB controlled the junction of the original PRR main line through Mt. Union with the elevated bypass completed in 1907. The old main was retained to serve several industries and the East Broad Top Railroad’s dual-gauge interchange yard.

I was going to say that it was long before EBT stopped common carrier ops as it was in-place when that article I posted last week was written. Thanks for the historically accurate note Rooster. That post card image is a bit small though!

Hi Jon,

What article? Did I miss something, again.

If you mean the EBT article, I got that. We’re you referencing when it was written as to answer my question?

Wonder if after the alignment change, if the old mainline in to Mount Union became almost like a small industrial yard or a series of interchange tracks. Did it connect back to the PRR main on both ends or just one? Was it worked by east bound trains or west bound or both? Passenger train connection with every train or just a milk train and then transfer at a bigger location.

Yes, it seems each answer just brings more questions. So if the new alignment was 1907, that means operations over 100 years ago. And then operated on the new alignment for 50 years before the EBT closed the doors.

With mention of Jack’s Narrows and the northbound control, does that mean the PRR was a north/south railroad? Sure seems like it would have been an east/west railroad.

Don’t thinks so. You commented in the “Orbisonia Obsession” thread…

Ric Golding said:

That was a good explanation of that 38 miles of slim track. This year’s trip along the Pennsylvania Mountain Division of the Norfolk Southern gave a better impression of how the EBT fit into the bigger railroad picture.

http://railfan.com/archive/rf_archive_winter75_ebt.php

EDIT: I’m guilty of responding before reading the entire post. Yes, the date the article was written as it spoke of the bypass.

Of course, we don’t even want to get into why the yard and the town in Pennsylvania is called Enola, right?

Sure Joe

Enlighten us!