Large Scale Central

Elevated Benchwork Versus Ground Level Layouts?

Nice too see RR posts from you Steve! That’s what’s it’s all about baby!

Steve, You have an excellent example of combining two styles of RR together. Looks great!

Richard. Since you’ve decided on a raised RR I’ll share with you something I’ve mentioned before. For a “planter look” you can enclose the face of your benchwork with fence boards or stone or whatever and no one will know it’s hollow underneath. I had originally intended to do that with mine but since the deer have chosen to cross beneath the benchwork I felt it prudent to leave things open for them. Passing beneath does no harm and it’s a lot better than having them try and jump over, perhaps landing on top.

You both have mighty cute railroad helpers too.

David Russell said:
Nice too see RR posts from you Steve! That's what's it's all about baby!
You are new here, right?

Thank you for the pictures ,Steve…i don’t have nearly the room you have,but i like how you were able to mix the two layouts and still make it work…very creative…the concrete footers for the 4x4’s works well for you?? i was thinking of thinner patio blocks and 2x4 legs ,but then i am a cheapskate when it comes to that type of thing :slight_smile:

and Thank you ,Bob…for the link to the Museum Railroad Project…i live in Reading Pennsylvania (Home of the Famous Reading Railroad) and there isn’t a darn thing here in the city ,to celebrate our contribution to the railroad industry…it honestly makes me think that the Reading Museum ought to have something like what they did…

and Thank You Too ,Richard…i’m thinking i can do all i want to do with 2x4 and 2x6 construction ,then use various 1x pieces to accent and finish…including finishing off the facing ,if i choose to finish the face of the benches…first thing i need to do is turn the swingset ,and get JJ’s area in order…then worry about how much room i have to work with…

Ideally ,i’d like to have an “M” shape to the layout…a very long run down the left side of my yard…then a pair of circles ,6’ and 8’ …then back up the yard…down the center…circles again…back up the center…then down the right side ,to circles ,and leading back to the top…as i said ,creating a large letter "M’ ,long leg at the start ,short leg in the center ,and slightly longer leg at the end…

All of this IS brainstorming at this point…but it really has me thinking…

Can’t thank Everyone enough for the info and ideas…it really is helping…

Hi, Richard,

I use the 4 X 4’s as legs because Fr. Fred said that I should. I use 2 X 6 stuff in the bench work because Richard Smith said that he wishes he had used bigger stuff than 2 X 4. Both Mr Smith and I fill the unused space inside the bench work with dirt, which can get very heavy. Add a few scenic rocks and we are talking about a huge amount of weight.

So far, the footers for the 4 X 4’s work well, but then I don’t have the frost heave problem that Fr. Fred has. Fr. Fred is a belt and suspenders man, using both the footer block, and a 24 X 24 X 2 inch concrete pad to support the footer.

Thanks again ,Steve…as you can see from my Christmas pic ,i grew up with dad making platforms from 1x3 and 1/4" plywood ,then building his layouts on top of that…

but the more i think about it…and how i don’t want to bring in dirt…maybe shallow holes ,filled with stone…then footers or blocks ,to sit my legs on…hmmmmmmmmmmm…legs every 4’??? building 8’ x whatever width i need to fit my curves/turns benchwork…ending up with 2 8x8’ squares ,on the sides…and an 8x whatever the length may be section in the center…picture again a letter “M” …center leg 8’ wide ,but both outside legs much narrower ,yet with 8’x8’ squares at the bottom of the legs…

boy i wish i could post a pic of the layout i have in mind :slight_smile: but i can’t get anywhere with the track planning programs i’ve downloaded…

Richard; I think you might look at our web page at: www.ovgrs.org/ in order to get a better idea of what we do.
When building benchwork we do use what we call “Deck Blocks” for the legs, but we usually only place them on 18" square patio stones to spread the weight. DO NOT disturb the ground under the patio stones, except to level them, and if the ground has not been disturbed, you won’t have much if any settling.

When building roadbed for single track, we don’t put any posts into the ground, or bother with anything other than anything you want to get rid of, to prop up the roadbed to the correct level, then backfill with soil and gravel. The roadbed is usually 2x PT lumber, joined together with at least 16" plates of the same 2x PT. We use deck screws to make the joints. The roadbed is joined in order to make a continuous roadbed that can be leveled to whatever grades or levels you want…it flexes up and down quite easily, when properly joined. If there is any frost heave, it is not noticable and does not bother the roadbed or track…in other words, the roadbed “Floats”. I hope this helps a bit…

Steve has a Railroad?

I didn’t know that. :slight_smile:

Thank you VERY much for the link ,Fred…i am sorta kinda “ANAL” about things ,and really do like the uniformity that can be achieved with benchwork…and i really like how the benches set on legs/blocks rather than being set into the ground… so here’s a pic i drew this morning…8’ curves for the outer track ,and 6’ curves for the inner one… i could either raise the inner track with graduated trestles so it can pass over the outer track at the top/left…then do its figure-8 on an elevated plane ,using a “X” type crossing… orrrrrrrrrrrr…i could use graduated trestles for the inside of the outer loop ,causing it to pass over the inner loop…BUT that does give me trains running behind trestles ,which i’m not so sure i want…maybe a 3rd option??? two more independant loops in that center section… 4’ and 6’ loops ,which would allow me to then run 4 trains total…hmmmmmmmmmmmmm…

(http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs445.snc3/25537_1157568199273_1829798542_302268_73904_n.jpg)

i think either option would give me places for bridges…as i could vary the height of the benches themselves ,creating something like the (i believe Richard called it a wash) “WASH” effect ,then use trestles and bridges to cross those gaps… i’m ok with installing switches and things like that ,but don’t do battery R/C ,or mess with MTS very much ,so that’s why it is set up as two seperate loops…picture two trains running analog…

Richard,

Two things I would consider with your above track plan:
First I’d move the benchwork out from any fence or structure to allow at least a two foot access aisle all around unless the benchwork is three feet wide or less. This would allow you to scenic and work from the outside of the layout as well as from inside. Access is key to a successful raised layout that will be fun and easy to operate.

Second be sure and provide for “hard spots” in the middle area of those eight foot loop areas for emergency as well as maintenance access. Provide a couple of legs in the middle with a bit of decking you can stand or sit on, or… Those areas could also be planter type construction with fill connected with benchwork to join them. A third option since access would only be needed occasionally would be an open area in the center of the loop with duck under access. Either way you’ll find the need eventually to have access to the middle area of those loops.

For reach, whether for operation or maintenance, 24" or so is recommended with 30" being about maximum for track. 36" is doable for placing structures or work during construction. With reach from both sides of an eight foot wide benchwork that still leaves two feet in the center that is unreachable from the aisle. For your future comfort as well as practicality I urge you to factor “reach” into your plans.

Geoff George said:
Steve has a Railroad?

I didn’t know that. :slight_smile:

LOL

Richard H.

Another thing to consider is that you will get bored with your layout faster than you can imagine, unless you include a reason for its’ existence. Even short trolley lines will have sidings for the real paying customers. Besides, “operations” are just plain fun.

I’m not suggesting that you build a point to point railroad, just that you include some sidings.

Your mileage may vary.

Hi Richard H,

Our layout is one more hybrid i.e. part of it elevated and the rest on the ground. Since the staging yard is in the garage and I wanted the track just below eye level the track exits the garage at 43" above ground level and travels some distance before meeting up with the upper slope in the garden. The benchwork is mounted on post spikes. Pictures etc. here.

The staging yard at the other end - yes, this is a point to point railway - will also be elevated; makes things much more convenient. :wink:

i was thinking of the very same things ,Richard…

building directly inside my low fence will allow me to reach the long ,narrow sections from inside and outside ,provided i keep them narrow enough…

but the 8’ areas…hmmmmmmm…

i see 6.5’ Aristo track listed on one site…which would allow me to make the end loops smaller…and still give me room to run 4’ curves inside them…or maybe even 5’ curves…i think i saw those too…

definitely have to do some more thinking…

Ron Spencer said:
Rich I think one of the biggest reasons for using raised gardens or benchwork is the fact as we age it gets harder and harder to get up and down to the ground. Especially the getting up part.

Andy made me post this example!

(http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/Shortybear/RussellTrainDay3_28_2010404.jpg)

I understand completely ,Steve… my drawing is very “spartan” :slight_smile: but not so true to my vision… i learned through another thread that i can maybe get away with 6’ or 6.5’ curves…and i know i can use 4’ and 5’ curves in some places… sooooooo…maybe something more like this…

(http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs465.snc3/25537_1157766004218_1829798542_302533_3195852_n.jpg)

still 4 seperate loops… the left/center section set lower than the rest ,so i could use bridges and trestles to span the gap under the 2 larger/main lines… sidings on both sides…X’s showing possible placement of town or industry buildings…water towers…and the like…something like Richard Smith’s point to point setup…

Now that aint right ,David :slight_smile:

i’ve always been short fat and ugly…and now that i’m layed off for several months again…i’m even shorter fatter and uglier…and OLDER!!!

i wouldn’t have use for ground level “Anything” anymore ,except i need something to walk on…

Richard Hiester said:
Now that aint right ,David :)

i’ve always been short fat and ugly…and now that i’m layed off for several months again…i’m even shorter fatter and uglier…and OLDER!!!

i wouldn’t have use for ground level “Anything” anymore ,except i need something to walk on…

Don’t worry too much about David. He seems to think that by degrading others, he somehow elevates himself.

Steve Featherkile said:
Don't worry too much about David. He seems to think that by degrading others, he somehow elevates himself.
Are you serious?????? I don't believe I ever degraded anyone, just having fun and sharing RAILROADING MOMENTS! If Jon is unhappy with it I will gladly pull it!!! I'm sorry I'll let you and a few others have the board to discuss political and religious views Steve! :P
David Russell said:
Steve Featherkile said:
Don't worry too much about David. He seems to think that by degrading others, he somehow elevates himself.
Are you serious?????? I don't believe I ever degraded anyone, just having fun and sharing RAILROADING MOMENTS! If Jon is unhappy with it I will gladly pull it!!! I'm sorry I'll let you and a few others have the board to discuss political and religious views Steve! :P
I was just having fun and sharing RAILROADING MOMENTS!

He can dish it out, but he can’t take it. Interesting.