Large Scale Central

ECLSTS 2020

Jerry,

Thank you for keeping everyone updated on this. I’ve got it on our calendar, however it is in conflict with the last Car Card/ Waybill Ops at the Ridge Live Steamers. However, one never knows how things will change. Please keep posting on this.

Hi Ric- You’re welcome. The dates may squeeze me as well on my trip south…but those were the only dates available to Star Hobby…we shall see.

Enjoy your present wanderings.

Jerry

While the cow palace is used for several train shows, there is also the Exhibition Hall. WMVGRS did their shows in that.

Re. the hotel, Jerry and I spoke with Dan last Tuesday. Dan (of Star Hobby) said they were about to solidify things with Embassy Suites in Timonium, just keep checking the web site.

I just did, and yep, they’re confirming ES as the hotel. I just booked a room there, and used the group code ECT, and the rate dropped from $157 to $119.

A couple big benefits with ES is the included full breakfast, and free happy hour in the evenings (which include snacks).

About the Drag & Brag room. Dan wasn’t sounding like he could arrange that himself. He said we could always meet in the big atrium, but that’s wide open and public, so I’m thinking we LSC fols try to do a conference room deal like usual.

Ric, Bob, Jer, If I can be of any assistance, please let me know.

BTW, while at the all-scales show last weekend and in the Star Hobby area (one of the only two large scale firms there), I spoke with Dan. Disclaimer: this is not official, just me passing on hear-say, because it’s fun. Dan told me which halls they were using, and for those who are familiar with the Cow Palace, there’s the smaller center call where you enter, and two enormous halls to the left and right. He said they’d get the center and left halls (not the right-side one). I think he mentioned they’d use the center for vendors, and the left hall for layouts… but that might change as they arrange things.

From the MD State Fair site: “The Cow Palace is divided into three distinct areas/sections - 24,000 square feet, 62,400 square feet and 72,000 square feet.” If the order of those is center-left-right halls, ECLSTS will have 96,000 sf of floor space.

I looked up York’s Memorial Hall for comparison, where ECLSTS has always been held. It’s east (our prior vendor) hall is 28,000 sf, while its west (prior layouts) hall is 29,000 sf. So if I’m guessing / understanding / calculating properly, the new Tim show will have 85% of the prior vendor space (seems ok; it wasn’t all used at York), and over 100% more layout space.

Again, none of my opinions / comments here are official in any way. But the bottom line, as I see it, is that nothing is being down-sized with the move. There’s actually more space, no matter how Star divides it up. And while I really liked the York Wyndham and its rates, the new hotel offers (again, just my opinion) good bang for the buck.

Cliff

Can I come ?

Cliff, you said -

“About the Drag & Brag Room. Dan wasn’t sounding like he could arrange that himself. He said we could always meet in the big atrium, but that’s wide open and public, so I’m thinking we LSC folks try to do a conference room deal like usual.”

The Holidome/Wyndham was not good for a common meet. We tried that in the bar and even in room suites for a couple of years, but then we had incidents with a female bowling team and a tuba solo. Don’t ask. Anyway, when we were vanquished to the Holiday Inn Express on the other side of town, with the Handicap rooms on the 7th floor (never could figure that one out), we tried the Board Room on the top floor and tried to shove too many people in to to small of a room. Anyway, many of the layout crews had a party in the Lobby and then there was Larry Otis in a speedo. Don’t ask. Anyway, except for the Larry Otis part, it was some of the best gatherings since Fred and I met in the bar in 1998 at a National Garden Railroad Convention.

The Drag and Brag really works best under the K.I.S.S. principal. I’d set up in the corner of the Lobby/Atrium, near the bar. If a bunch of nuns show up in bowling team satin shirts or a guy starts playing a solo on a tuba, or Larry brings his Speedo, you might need to get a room for the Drag and Brag for the second year. Just my thoughts. As always be sure and take pictures if you can’t live stream the whole event. Booking photos also work.

(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Rooster ’ said:

Can I come ?

No!

Ric Golding said:

Cliff, you said -

“About the Drag & Brag Room. Dan wasn’t sounding like he could arrange that himself. He said we could always meet in the big atrium, but that’s wide open and public, so I’m thinking we LSC folks try to do a conference room deal like usual.”

The Holidome/Wyndham was not good for a common meet. We tried that in the bar and even in room suites for a couple of years, but then we had incidents with a female bowling team and a tuba solo. Don’t ask. Anyway, when we were vanquished to the Holiday Inn Express on the other side of town, with the Handicap rooms on the 7th floor (never could figure that one out), we tried the Board Room on the top floor and tried to shove too many people in to to small of a room. Anyway, many of the layout crews had a party in the Lobby and then there was Larry Otis in a speedo. Don’t ask. Anyway, except for the Larry Otis part, it was some of the best gatherings since Fred and I met in the bar in 1998 at a National Garden Railroad Convention.

The Drag and Brag really works best under the K.I.S.S. principal. I’d set up in the corner of the Lobby/Atrium, near the bar. If a bunch of nuns show up in bowling team satin shirts or a guy starts playing a solo on a tuba, or Larry brings his Speedo, you might need to get a room for the Drag and Brag for the second year. Just my thoughts. As always be sure and take pictures if you can’t live stream the whole event. Booking photos also work.

Stop picking on me!

Larry Otis said:

Ric Golding said:

Cliff, you said -

Stop picking on me!

Why? Are you special? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

Larry Otis said:

Ric Golding said:

Cliff, you said -

Stop picking on me!

Why? Are you special? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Only when he wears that Speedo…

Course, everyone yells "“Don’t look, Ethel”… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Andy Clarke said:

David Marconi,FOGCH said:

Larry Otis said:

Ric Golding said:

Cliff, you said -

Stop picking on me!

Only when he wears that Speedo…

Course, everyone yells "“Don’t look, Ethel”… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Yes Larry is “Special”. Those of who know him, know that all too well. But he is a fun, and somewhat harmless, kinda special.

I don’t play the tuba, but I did play the saxophone, and I still have it, somewhere around here. Would that do?

As for Rooster…

Larry Otis said:

Rooster ’ said:

Can I come ?

No!

That’s a shame as I was actually gonna hit Weavers of Wellsville on my way there for you.

As the Larry-Speedo-Rooster conversation merges into one, I’m afraid this is all I have to contribute…

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Larry who ?

Ok, that’s it. I am going to buy a speedo wardrobe and that’s all I am going to wear at the show. I’ll get the original dry cleaned as well. Question is whether I should get my Back hair shaved or spiked?!

For those of you that have lost their dinner. Oh well.

I should get my Back hair shaved or spiked?!

Permed

After all this time, I think you can braid it…

Greg, it looks rather odd braided…

David Maynard said:

Greg, it looks rather odd braided…

Greg Elmassian said:

After all this time, I think you can braid it…

PAGE 4