Large Scale Central

EBT visit

In our travels today after leaving the EBT Rooster took me on a few back roads for more history of the area. One stop yielded the following

1 Like

Just out of curiosity as the two of you historians are travelling together… and I had not heard of this railroad.

EAST BROAD TOP. It’s quite an interesting name. I’ve unsuccessfully looked it up. Am I correct in assuming there is/was something to the west, something a bit more narrow or something of significance at the bottom?

What is the origin story for the name?

1 Like

EBT History

The railroad, which was built beginning in 1872, is the only surviving three-foot gauge common carrier railroad east of the Rocky Mountains. Now, we are proud to offer visitors from around the world the opportunity to experience America’s industrial past.

After the EBT Hollywood and I railfanned a little of what’s left of the
Newport and Shermans Valley Railroad - Wikipedia

This Hollywood taking a selfie of himself in front of his old school.

Train headed north towards Mt. Union ,PA

Hollywood started the thread and I can add some fuel to the fire. I think next trip we should hit the top of the mountain first starting with Perry Lumber then come down and hit the Kansas side .
Just remember when the Pennsyltuckyians ask what we are doing on their property you say:
“Were just burying a body that’s all”
Oh…And you cannot knock down the door at an Amish Bakery screaming “I got money” then clean out the cookie and pie section! You gotta take it easy in them there parts. It ain’t Baltimore!

The RR’s are endless as we have discussed!! You wanna chase old narrow gauge I’m ok with that I know the area.

I personally would like to Hollywoods pics and possibly what the old guy learned from the young guy today… :grinning:

I don’t know but my friends son done grounded the M-3 today and I didn’t get any pics…lol

1 Like

Dang Straight Rooster!

Beautiful station, not bad for modeling on any short line!
Anybody got the plans for this one?

Deneh

Hollywood isn’t it great when you have an experienced guide?

Once you’ve been on a few tours the good ones are easy to spot.

IMG_9420

1 Like

info garnered on the visit to EBT. The RR still original to itself has gained a few miles of track and at least one grade crossing since last year. We were directed to a new to me deck truss bridge, with a plate girder bridge with it to complete the span.

Apparently both spans are in better shape than the appearances show. The right of way is being cleared and ballast laid as they continue laying track to get to this point.
A bit farther down the road is the station of Pogue. Which apparently had a switch which has been removed, but led to a siding past the station.

And nestled behind a church farther along the road we stopped to check out hidden right of way that revealed a piece of a switch in the priorly removed track from the right of way further indicating the presence of the siding.

Also past Pogue we were able to glimpse another plate girder bridge that will need to be addressed as they reach there.

The above is all on the way of getting to their goal of Saltillo, Pa.

We headed back for lunch and join with Jon Radder before heading off to other historical bits of Pa.
One was a wood deck bridge (closed for repair) that crossed over EBT trackage and entered a grave Yard.

Next I was given two routes to choose from and not knowing the area that well I handed the decision to Rooster, who has searched out other thought of, planned out, and even actually materialized into working railroads. Two as he noted:

As we rode through the country we stopped at a covered bridge that has been restructured and is next to the Pleasant Hills Camp Ground. Might be wise to take note Jon Radder.

Also a viaduct that was hidden from sight till you knew where to look.

Next to this viaduct we noted a train station I believe once part of the Newport & Shermans Valley RR, with the earlier pictured caboose.

Even on this small town station we can see the pride of the old ccraftsmen

Farther along a second (repurposed station this time) was visited.

And I learned that there are hills in them there mountains. Mountains are tall as the hills, valleys are deep and plentiful, clouds sometimes play tricks on the colors of the trees, and there are apparently tunnel bores on both sides of at least one mountain that never grew to a full fledged tunnel.
Grave yards abound with graves of revolutionary era troops and pioneers, also with civil war era troops. You can’t see it all unless you spend years stopping along the way. Old towns and villages, log cabins at every turn still in use and well maintained.
Plenty of streams, such that many join together to form rivers and, as much as Rooster held his disbelief in my insight, all ran down hill to the Atlantic. We were always on the east side of the Eastern Continental Divide. As noted in Wiki:
The Eastern Continental Divide, Eastern Divide or Appalachian Divide is a hydrological divide in eastern North America that separates the easterly Atlantic Seaboard watershed from the westerly Gulf of Mexico watershed.
And as we drove off headed home I had my head slammed into the dash board as Rooster spotted the Amish bakery he’s been trying to catch open for a couple years, which was indeed open. Well worth the stop and I’ll over look the whiplash for the moment. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :innocent: :smiley:
I’m sure Rooster will have his own spin on things but for now I’m done :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Hollywood,
You are confusing these guys cause they don’t know where your at and neither did I for most of the time but I did a good job winging it .

The biggest question is who is this guy riding on the EBT Special and how is Bill going to incorporate him into his photoshopping?

3 Likes

You just need to find Broad Top Mountain, in PA, a significant source of coal. EBT runs down - wait for it - the East side.

Thanks Peter.

Sometimes I think the explorers that named things just ran out of names, decide to put in a description, and come back later once they have come up with a name.

Explorer: Now what are we going to name the last mountain we saw yesterday?
Scribe: The one with the broad top?
Explorer: Yes. Now who haven’t we named something for?
Scribe:
Explorer: Shall we just put a pin in that and come back to that later?
Scribe: Yes sir.

Here we have one of the most deadly snakes in the world with the very descriptive name; The Brown Snake.

We have Black Snakes, completely harmless, but very scary when the Scouts confront them. We also have less of, but can be deadly, Copperheads.

I want to get out to visit the East Broad Top. Not too far from me, it’s on my bucket list.

Thanks for the pics Hollywood and Rooster.

2 Likes

I don’t know him but he has my characteristics and is old as hell…me not him.

Deneh

I’m 55 so I assure you he’s old! I bet he was sneaking cigarettes with the dinosaurs behind the cliffs before school back in the day in the hood.
My motto has always been if you don’t know something just ask an old guy. I have and I’m quite grateful for doing such. So I try and return the favor and possibly learn an old guy something new from time to time and I enjoy the hell out of it!

Does that make sense?
:rooster:

Well I never gave him any.

Rooster;
I’m 71…but I am not as smart as when I was 55…but I now have the wisdom to know it!

-Deneh

2 Likes

And the Huntingdon & Broad Top was a standard gauge that ran on the west side. Some of it has been stuffed and mounted near Broad Top City. I thought I took pictures, but it must have been with my camera and not the phone. I can’t get them from here. .