Large Scale Central

EBT tenders

The post on the EBT made me dig out my old EBT tape.
I noticed a long logging chain hanging from one (or two) of the tenders.
What was this used for?
And also there was a long rail hanging from a tender.
Same question.
Does anyone have any better pics of these tenders?
Thanks.

This pic shows the pole on the tender. They were used to push a car on an adjoining track.

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/EBT%20Fall%20Spectacular%202009/EBT09_0012.jpg)

The chains were probably used for pulling them. Just to make this a little clearer. The circle on the endbeam of the caboose is called a polling pocket. That pole fit’s into that when the loco is pushing the car. I couldn’t find a clear picture of the polling pocket on a freight car. but they are there.

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/EBT%20Fall%20Spectacular%202009/EBT09_0027.jpg)

got one of those chains in the garage…I use it sparingly when I get something really stuck as I’m so tired from dragging it out I barely have strength enough to finish the job…

Thanks, Ken.
I’m familiar with poling pockets and poles.
That clears up the long thing, at least.
It makes sense the chain is used for pulling.

Yup - I’d agree that was the use of the chain. My local short-line still uses chains and boards to push and pull cars on the next track over. Not legal, but in some cases the only way to get around a car.

Chains are also used when a “Draw Bar” is pulled, so that the train can proceed to the closest siding where the offending car can be dropped.

Most often on a lot of pikes, the chains were stored on the van (Caboose)

Ken Brunt said:
Just to make this a little clearer. The circle on the endbeam of the caboose is called a polling pocket.

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/EBT%20Fall%20Spectacular%202009/EBT09_0027.jpg)

I’m not understanding? You talking Radders caboose and asking for a poll on his pockets? I don’t see a circle on his end beams only squares as it appears he is carrying 2 wallets and they both look heavy. Must be early in the weekend! Sorry :wink:

The red thing in the picture, Dave, not the blue thing…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:
The red thing in the picture, Dave, not the blue thing....................;)
Sorry!

I’m thinking that it’s OK now for me to post some pictures of Ken taken in North Bay. Geeze :o

Jon Radder said:
I'm thinking that it's OK now for me to post some pictures of Ken taken in North Bay. Geeze :o
Post em' up..... ;)

I was trying to make it easier for Dave as he couldn’t tell the difference between a caboose and blue pants…:wink:

Uh huh…

Dave - go check out the final post in the American Invasion 2006 thread

Sorry Ken - you made me do it :smiley:

Ya’ see Ken if you would have been focusing on the RED CABOOSE instead of Jon in his Gloria Peterbuilt man jeans all would be good! Troublemaker!
:wink:
I still don’t know what polling pockets are?

David Russell said:
Ya’ see Ken if you would have been focusing on the RED CABOOSE instead of Jon in his Gloria Peterbuilt man jeans all would be good! Troublemaker! :wink: I still don’t know what polling pockets are?

If YOU were focusing on the RED CABOOSE, we wouldn’t be having this discussion…and you would now know what a polling pocket was.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/chat/emoticons/smile.gif)

David.
Now-a-days, most new rolling stock does not have poing pockets.

If you truely want to know what a poling pocket is, just look at an Aristo 40 foot box car, and on it’s two endbeams, you will see some kind of circle moulded into eack corner. (I think the Aristo 40 foot box cars have them) These “Circular indentations” were meant to accept one end of a “Pole”. The other end of the pole was placed into the same type of indentation on a locomotive, or in rare occasions, a “Poling car”. The pole was usually made of hardwood, and it’s ends were encased with metal bands to prevent splintering from wear.
The pole was held in place by a member of the crew, standing on the ground, between tracks, in the yard.
A poling car had a “Pole” suspended on each side that could be turned out from the side of the car, to fit into the poling pockets of a car on a parallel track. This meant that a person did not need to hold the pole.

The whole idea was to be able to move a car on a parallel track, with a locomotive.
The poling car was used when poling was a regular activity in major yards, mostly it seems, down South in the US of A. Poling by hand held poles was a dangerous activity, and was outlawed years ago.
Poling pockets are not put on new rolling stock, manufactured today…although, who knows…somewhere …there maybe some around, in service.
It seems that few, if any NG cars had poling pockets…from the pictures I have seen. The EBT may have had them on some equipment, but I’m not an expert on their operations. But…they did have a pole on some of their tenders, so I see.

Fred,

Good morning. I think a majority of EBT rolling stock has the poling pockets, especially the coal cars and I think box cars.

Fred,
Thank you for the detailed description. I wasn’t understanding the pole part…I can also understand how that could be quite dangerous for many reasons.

Ken,
I’m sorry I got you in trouble with Jon…gotta admit his photos of you were very funny even if they did break “your coolness factor”…ya’ done derailed the mans train! Wife and I went through that thread today and were laughing so hard!!! She liked the one of Fred being engineered by Matt? I believe.
She said he looks so happy …I said that’s Fred and we both started laughing again!!
Good stuff!!
:wink:

David Russell said:
[i][/i] Ken, I'm sorry I got you in trouble with Jon..
He's not in trouble, but you might be for that Gloria Peterbuilt remark :D