Large Scale Central

Easy Ridge cap for roof

One thing that always bothered me when making a roof has been the top sections where they meet. I now use a piece of panel trim used where two panels meet. I cut off the bottom section and use it as shown below. I have tried it with all types of building materials and have been satisfied with the results. Easy to use and takes most types of glue well.

Cool! When you say “panel trim,” that’s the stuff that’s supposed to go between pieces of wall paneling to hide the joints?

Later,

K

Yogi, like always from you, that’s a great idea… thanks for sharing…

Kevin,

That’s the trim,to join panels together.

Thanks, Yogi.
I have a wooden roof cap on a resin kit that needs replacing after only a few months outside.
Your tip is timely.
Ralph

Thank you sir as I always enjoy your tips and ideas!

That has always been pain for me to do. I will have to rememeber that. thanks for sharing

I think I may be over thinking this…

Usually my roofs are 45 degrees and that means I can butt one sub-roof against the other. In this build, the roof is not quite 30 degrees.

Keep in mind, my tiny table saw is not set up for tilt arboring, and I still haven’t sourced a pin nailer any where close to a justifiable price to what you guys have. I do have a disc sander.

For this build I was planning to pre-laminate my sub roof to be as rectangular as possible using my square to start the gluing process. Then join each half together.

However this was my best ridge- line result, but I thought I could come back with a flush cutting saw and nibble away at the ridge.

On the other hand, if I sand each board to thirty degrees I can get this result, but I’ll probably have to lay each sub roof board on the rafter separately, as the center-line is not quite centre. I also think I’ll need to do both sides at the same time. I suspect there will also be a little wandering in my sanding and gluing preventing an easy line up of a mitred edge which might in turn give me a sloppy drip line too.

Am I over thinking this? Can anyone remember what they used to do before they tooled up?

Thoughts?

Do you have a full sized saw?

I would glue/attach all of the boards on one side extending past the other side. Once dry, sand or trim to the 60° or whatever angle that allows the other side to be but jointed without sanding. Does that make sense? That way your only sanding 1 set of angles vs 2.
Then glue attach the 2nd board over the top of the first making an overlapping angle. Then trim that one as needed.

Only a full size hand saw, Craig.
I was quite happy with what I had before meeting you guys.

This is the full extent of my wood shop, power tools.

But it’s cedar planks. Easy to sand.

I’d glue one side up completely over extended past the other side. Then using the sander sand at the full angle (60°) vs the 30. Then run the next over the top without cutting. Then repeat. Instead of trying to get 2 30° to match you basically gluing on a flat. I don’t know if that makes sense how I’m writing it.

or you could do, what the 1:1 guys would do.
take some metal sheets and nail them on top of whatever you made.

I love “roof lines”… However I’m staying on topic as recommended!

“All ridge caps are easy”

YES they are…

It’s just a matter how far beyond the ridge cap you wish to go? I personally you’re ,your, UR structure is "screaming " for a copper ridge cap with an iron cresting above it . Call it “cottage victorian”

JMHO

ABCDEFG

1 Like

Craig,
Love the idea of the overlap but with my fiddley little planks it was hard to not over do by hand and lining up over the gap was difficult.

However, I am saving your idea for a big board sub roofing as it makes sense and I think it will save time. Thanks!

So I’ve made the job a bit tougher for myself and hinged two planks with scotch tape. I seem to be able to get a decent line. So I will try to work from the Center out and glue both sides and the join under the tape at the same time🤞

I am not looking forward to this without a pin nailer.

EDIT: Pin nailer ordered tonight from the USA $158 vs if I got it here $589 USD.

@Korm & @Rooster I can’t find my fake copper anymore. Is this what you’re talking about?
:point_right: Copper :point_left:

the rim in my pic was cut from the bottom of an (oneway) aliminium foil baking form.
silverish looking duct-tape would fill the role too.

Are you up early AGAIN Korm?
It’s 0530!

yup.
just finished the first cup of coffee, after i dried up part of a lovely rain, that entered the house.
70mm/nearly 3" - about a tentht of the yearly rainfall, is what i slept through between midnight and 0500!

And here it is 3:50 :sunglasses:

19:27 here! What’s going on with you guys?!
Are you guys on a paper route?

define, what that expression means.

i stand up every morning at 0500. and go to bed between 0000 and 0400 - but i take at least two longer daily siestas - during the hot daylight hours.