Large Scale Central

Eastern Narrow Gauge (LOTS of pictures)

Wow - what a trip! A week of trains: from Virginia, to North Carolina, to Tennessee, to West Virginia, finally ending up in Pennsylvania. Doug Matheson had started planning this trip over two years ago and it finally came together. Great weather, great friends, and great times! Saturday, Doug and Gaétan Charette drove down to my place where we had a chance to operate a bit on the J&B.

There was also time to relax; each of us enjoyed our favorite beverage.

Doug created some switching problems for me; unfortunately, I failed all the tests. :wink: Sunday dawned and we were off to North Carolina. Road Trip!

We stopped over at Matt Brown’s and ran a bit on the Slate Creek.

On Monday we went over to the North Carolina Transportation Museum, home of the Spencer Shops. They have a nice collection there, but the highlight of our visit was being able to crawl over ET&WNC Combine #15. We spent well over an hour inside and out. The combine is in very rough condition, but it is being restored; we really enjoyed viewing this historical treasure.

You can just imagine taking a trip on this beauty…well, maybe a few decades back.

We headed down to the roundhouse, but before we got there, Ric and Jan Golding arrived.

The roundhouse has a neat collection of locomotives and lots of other exhibits.

Ric, Jan, and Gaétan finished off the visit with a cab ride; and of course we needed our obligatory picture at the historical marker.

Tuesday we first visited the Cradle of Forestry; an unlikely spot for a railroad itinerary. But here we first found a portable sawmill.

Just beyond that was the Climax that looks a LOT like the Bachmann model.

Next we met Matt over at the Doe River Gorge, along the route of the ET&WNC. Matt had arranged a speeder ride for us along the original right of way and we started at tunnel #2 and traveled past tunnel #3.

We stopped at historic Pardee point and shot many pictures.

The track is rough in spots, but was quite a ride. The speeder was electric, so it was fairly quiet and our guide provided lots of historical background. But, there came a time when we had to leave the speeder and go on foot. Rocks cover the track and they really don’t have the funds to clear them.

But, our foot travel was stopped by a bridge that sure didn’t look safe enough to walk on.

Before we left Boone on Wednesday, we went over to see Tweetsie. Tim Smith was the engineer for the day and we got lots of pictures of #12.

After our brief visit, we started the long drive to Cass, WV. That evening, we went over to Durbin to view the equipment on display.

Thursday was our day at Cass and we had a nice ride up to Bald Knob on #6. They had 6 engines steamed up that day: 5 Shays, and one Heisler. We also got a great shop tour.

Friday, we left Cass and headed up to Altoona. We visited the Horseshoe Curve and in our short time there saw 6 neat trains. The viewing platform is quite close to the trains.

Saturday morning we headed over to the East Broad Top for our final Narrow Gauge stop. Naturally, I had to get some pictures of the steel boxcars there.

It’s a wonderful area to just wander around and explore.

#15 was old but ran just fine.

Was great having you guys here … can’t wait for the next chapter!

Matthew (OV)

Now that’s a road trip!

-Brian

Brian Donovan said:
Now that's a road trip!

-Brian

To be precise, that’s a [b]railroad[/b] trip!

Here’s one you guys missed … this didn’t come out till after you left on Friday:

(http://www.lscdata.com/users/slatecreek/durbinclimax3.jpg)

Matthew (OV)

Great trip, guys. Only place I haven’t visited yet is the Tweetsie, but it’s on the list. Looks like you had some nice weather…(and BTW, thanx for the invite…:() Did you guys happen to get to Cumberland, MD on your way to Altoona? Great spot to watch trains and I’m not sure if the steam train is still runnin…

(http://www.trainweb.org/rgs/Cumbmd003.jpg)

Neat trip.
You all should stop at the Smokey Mountain Railway in Dillsboro next time you are in the area. No steam running currently, but this is supposed to change sometime in the future.
Spencer shops and Tweetsie are frequent hangouts of mine. I just recently went up to the Cradle of Forestry. Although COF is within an hour drive, I wasn’t aware of it until Cale had mentioned it.
Cass is next on the “to do” list.
And one day I would like to ride the Amtrak up to Baltimore and visit the B&O museum.
Ralph

Ken Brunt said:
Great trip, guys. Only place I haven’t visited yet is the Tweetsie, but it’s on the list. Looks like you had some nice weather…(and BTW, thanx for the invite…:() Did you guys happen to get to Cumberland, MD on your way to Altoona? Great spot to watch trains and I’m not sure if the steam train is still runnin…

On this trip, our only Western Maryland exposure was Shay #6 … but from this, I would guess the steam is still running in Cumberland!

(http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2008062823123810196.jpg)

Matthew (OV)

Great Pictures, Bruce! Jan and I really enjoyed being with you guys for a couple of days in the middle of your trip.

The locations are all great examples of railroading east of the Mississippi.

Good friends and it truely was a lot of fun.

Less than 3 weeks and the “Invasion” begins.

Matt, it was great to meet you and thank you for the hospitality.

Matthew (OV) said:

Ken Brunt said:

On this trip, our only Western Maryland exposure was Shay #6 … but from this, I would guess the steam is still running in Cumberland!

(http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2008062823123810196.jpg)

Matthew (OV)

That’s good! When I was there, there was a rumor floating around that 2005 or 2006 would be it’s last year of operations. Glad to hear the rumor was false.

Wow -

What a great trip :smiley:

We’ll be visiting Cass & Elkins for several days in late July. I hope to get over to Durbin too and see the Climax run too. Cass has been on my wish list for a long time. Unfortunately, we can’t do both WV and the Invasion this year - so new experiences won the vacation budget.

From the news it looks like Tweetsie will be around for quite a while now - so there’s hope I’ll get there some day too. And then there’s the Maine 2 Footers and Conway , New Hampshire. So many places, so little time :smiley: :smiley:

Great trip and photos Bruce! The only thing that outshines the locations and equipment is the company of all those wonderful people including yourself.

Thanks for allowing this ol’ coot to enjoy the trip with you even if only vicariously. :slight_smile:

WOW , that was THE road trip , thanks for shareing the great fun .

Richard Smith said:
Great trip and photos Bruce! The only thing that outshines the locations and equipment is the company of all those wonderful people including yourself.

Thanks for allowing this ol’ coot to enjoy the trip with you even if only vicariously. :slight_smile:

Like Richard said… Tks for the enjoyment of your trip and sharing…
Loved it. Noel and Jane on west coast.

And y’all came right by here and didn’t stop to say “Howdy”…

Bart Salmons said:
And y'all came right by here and didn't stop to say "Howdy".......
yea, or get an invite...........;)
Bart Salmons said:
Right by???

Nothing is right by anything in WV. You have to go over some curvy mountain roads to get anywhere.

Bart,

Another time, I’d like to!

Say, how do they deal with emergency services dispatch in the “no radio zone” around the NRAO telescopes at Green Bank? I notice the fire station hasn’t got as much as an antenna on the roof.

Another good reason for hand signals on the train!

Matthew (OV)

When we drove by GreenBank on our way to the hotel, the driver told us"No cell phones, no microwave ovens" and a few other things weren’t allowed around there. Of course everyone checked their cell phones to see if they had service and sure enough, “No Service”…I guess they still use the old tried and true “Land Line” approach…

Bart Salmons said:
Dont feel bad, Bart. People pass within 1/4 mile of my house all the time when they're on 495 and dont stop by here, either.