Large Scale Central

Duckbill Roof

Well, no-one took me up on my comment on the Photo thread that this was my latest project.

It is now finished so all can be revealed. It started a few months ago, although the roots go way back to the early 2000s, when Light Rail Products was doing business: http://www.lightrailproducts.com/

I had built one coach with a duckbill roof and fancied another, but unfortunately LRP went mia for 10 years. Then in August, Karl Johnson, the owner of LRP, suddenly posted on GSC that he was still in business. (Bottom of page 1)
https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/tram-chassis-and-underframe-parts.316406/#post-642947

After an exchange of emails, Karl indicated that his duckbill roof resin casting (this photo is over 10 years old)

. . wasn’t a great fit. He sold me a couple of pairs of ends for $30 as I wanted to give try it, and I had acquired a Bachmann coach as part of a deal to get a 2-4-2 Indie in a set. [Life gets complicated sometimes.] Having an Aster 2-6-0 C&S #22 encouraged me to make an old-style C&S coach of these various bits.

The ends turned up so I chopped the Bachmann roof.

and Karl was right - not a good fit!

A lot of fiddly plastruct work followed to make the roof and the end mesh.

Finally the bits were glued (Gorilla clear for the resin, Plastruct Bondene for the rest.) I usually use the aluminum tape used by the a/c vent guys on the roof to simulate tarpaper, but this time I used painters masking tape. Not a good choice - the paint peeled off when I tried to use masking tape later.

I had some roof vents from Ozark so they were added.

You’ll see in the foreground some 1/2 cut “Colorado & Southern” nameboards. These were left over from some modifications to Accucraft J&S coaches - about 10 years ago. I figured they were enough to get me started and saved having to find some decals.

I ran the roof back through the mini-table-saw and then built up what was left to match the Accu bits. I also poked around my paint shelf and found that Rustoleum 2X ‘Hunt Club Green Satin’ which matched the Accu plastic.

As you can see, a combination of a white paint pen with an extra-fine point, plus a very small brush, and after 3 sessions (2 white, one green touch-up) the lettering wasn’t too bad. You can also see I managed to paint the clerestory sides (which is when I found the roof paint wasn’t adhering too well.)

Then during reassembly a mystery surfaced. I had to cut the clerestory ‘glass’ to fit, but only had to cut one pane from each side. But the bits I cut off both had a full pane of glass. I should have been removing 2 panes?!?

Oh well. It works, mate. Here’s the finished coach with a number and a couple of crates inside. It will go with my other 2 new C&S coaches. (The old ends are on the left.)

1 Like

Here’s a pic of the test of the roof, before the nameboards were added, running on a different C&S coach which I acquired recently.

This one is a much deeper green, and almost glossy. I figure an old duckbill coach, with faded green paint, would not be in very good condition. So maybe the new coach needs a serious weathering job to look the part.

Nice . . .

So maybe the new coach needs a serious weathering job to look the part.

Something like this?

Or maybe like the job Jim did on my last combine:

I am seriously tempted to take a wire brush to the sides and try to give the ‘planks’ more definition. Then a wash with brown, grey, and whatever else comes to mind. Got to tone down that writing and darken the color.

Pete Thornton said:

Well, no-one took me up on my comment on the Photo thread that this was my latest project.

Finally the bits were glued (Gorilla clear for the resin, Plastruct Bondene for the rest.) I usually use the aluminum tape used by the a/c vent guys on the roof to simulate tarpaper, but this time I used painters masking tape. Not a good choice - the paint peeled off when I tried to use masking tape later.

I had some roof vents from Ozark so they were added.

Honestly,

I thought someone did take you up on the comment in the “other thread’s” as the Plastructs product (as suggested) seemed to work very well for you even though I prefer Welder#4 myself.

Just saying (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(smile for the Algorithm)

Pete Thornton said:

So maybe the new coach needs a serious weathering job to look the part.

Something like this?

Or maybe like the job Jim did on my last combine:

I am seriously tempted to take a wire brush to the sides and try to give the ‘planks’ more definition. Then a wash with brown, grey, and whatever else comes to mind. Got to tone down that writing and darken the color.

Jim Who ?

Jim Who ?

Rowson.

Pete, It looks good!

He still have them available?

Jason

He still have them available?

You lost me. Who have what available?

Karl still has lots of the LRP Duckbill roof ends. Email, [email protected] Phone 650 762 4673. Light Rail Products.

1 Like

A sunny day on the Spa Creek & McKendree RR. Older combine #21 with its faded paint is on a local up Clear Creek to Black Hawk. (Looking at this pic, I solved the mystery of the missing clerestory windows.)

I did wash it with black/brown acrylic to take some of the brightness off the white lettering, and to make the paint look more weathered. Jerry & I debated the glossy dark green on the other 2 coaches, and whether they needed toning down.

P.S. The glossy C&S coaches were a delightful surprise. I got them cheap as a package from a store and found they were probably Bachmann kits, painted, with better metal wheels, Kadee couplers, metal end railings with chains (compare with my Duckbill above), improved lighting and Ozark vents on the coach, and nice brass strap steps on the baggage.

So these Duckbill ends are usable on Bachmann Billimeyer & Smalls coaches?

I’ve had a hankering to try and bash up EBT Coach 20, but I can’t afford Accucraft coaches. That and the balance of my passenger fleet is Bachmann. I pull them with a Porter so they don’t look too bad along side Fn3 freight trains.

I think Bachmann claims (currently) that they are Jackson and Sharp. The answer is yes, but there’s a lot of fettlin’ to do, as you can see from my pics.

The other question is the number of windows - you have to open some up as doubles for #20, so it would need some head scratching with the plans to see what would fit. Mine (and Kevins) are based on the MLS Carter Bros kit, which you used to be able to get from Lasergang for $150.

Or you could go to G.A.L. and get Alan’s take on a Fn3 Business car, like the attached pic. But you’d need the Accucraft coach as well.

Pete Thornton said:

You lost me. Who have what available?

Karl still has lots of the LRP Duckbill roof ends. Email, [email protected] Phone 650 762 4673. Light Rail Products.

Question was… does the guy you mentioned above Karl ^ …still have the Duckbills that you mentioned above very first post Available? In the same post stated this picture is 10 yrs old. Nothing in your post Pete says they are available as of now is all.

Jason V.

Pete Thornton said:

I think Bachmann claims (currently) that they are Jackson and Sharp. The answer is yes, but there’s a lot of fettlin’ to do, as you can see from my pics.

I really did know that, was just suffering from some brain fog this morning! And yes, I would expect to do lots of cutting to get the windows right. Probably easiest to cut them all out and create a fill piece with the proper sizes and spacing. I also did note in your post that you needed to widen the Bachmann roof to match the ends.

Pete,

That train looks sharp! I personally wouldn’t tone anything down based upon the photo. The variation between the cars adds visual interest. Also, great score on those used ones! Even out here, I am constantly amazed at what comes available.

Eric

Question was… does the guy you mentioned above Karl ^ …still have the Duckbills that you mentioned above very first post Available? In the same post stated this picture is 10 yrs old. Nothing in your post Pete says they are available as of now is all.

Sorry Jason. It was a bit confused, though I did say:

Then in August, Karl Johnson, the owner of LRP, suddenly posted on GSC that he was still in business. (Bottom of page 1)
https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/tram-chassis-and-underframe-parts.316406/#post-642947

and

He sold me a couple of pairs of ends for $30 as I wanted to give try it,

Yes, he has quite a few available, according to an email he sent a few weeks ago. I have another pair that I don’t need, as I am not planning to convert another coach. His email is [email protected].

Little Vague Pete. But okay.

Thanks

Jason

Nice job Pete. That is a very cool idea and makes for a great different look. I approve.

Pete, it is downright COOLtastic!!!

Duckbilled Superliners have been on my bucket build list for a few years.

2 Likes