Large Scale Central

Don Winter passenger car kits

Family photo. RPO, baggage, combine, coach.

I need to spend some time with brass strip making the large steps for the baggage and combine, bend up some railings for the steps, and adding grabs on the end beams. Ordered couplers from RLD, they should be here today.

2 Likes

From the pictures those look way more than ops quality! Nice work , Bob !

those are coming out great

A nice 55 degree day allows painting. Quick black underbody and then several thin coats of green.

1 Like

Ready for windows, fascia, and roofing.

1 Like

Just something from the past that will probably never be made again. Nice to see you are doing them justice, great work and the finished product will be something to behold for a long time. I wish I would have known about these kits back in the day when they were available to purchase.
trainman

Don was a great guy. He first contacted me back when I was poking at 7/8ths scale, he was trying to figure out if there was a market there or not. He ended up scrapping that idea and started doing 1:20.3. I have one of his OV kits too. He had tons of ideas he was working on but never got around to completing. He wanted to do all the DRGW/RGS business cars, as well as all the various pieces of MOW equipment.

EDIT: I also had a bunch (a dozen maybe?) of his drop bottom gons.

Baggage car ready for clerestory windows and roofing.

2 Likes

Combine at the same stage.

Roof material is next up. You can see on the RPO how I did the roof. Strips across the width of the car, and then lengthwise for the curves on the ends.

1 Like

For builder quality, I mean ops quality those are looking good ,Bob

Thanks

A bit of work on the windows.

Clerestory windows blacked out. Moving on to the roofing. Its slow going, mostly I get annoyed peeling the backing off the aluminum tape, so I only get a little done at a time.

1 Like

It’s slow going, but I really like the end result when the roof is painted and all. Going to try and finish one roof today.

1 Like

Are you going to sprinkle sand on the paint for the ruff look ?

Wasn’t planning on doing anything besides painting.

Almost done with the baggage car roof.

Baggage car 98% done. Need the steps and grabs for the baggage doors and the roof needs painting.

1 Like

Don’t have enough brass strip to make the steps, but I’m not worried about them for now. I do have enough brass rod to make all the grabs. So, some paint and the baggage car will be done.

What are you using to glue the the aluminum tape down? Or is it the just the glue in the tape?

Its just the adhesive on the tape itself. This is from Nashua Tape, and its the waterproof foil tape with the blue backing, not the paper backing. The adhesive on this does NOT want to come off.

Thanks Bob, got a roll on order