Large Scale Central

Don Winter passenger car kits

Glad to help. I’ve had it on the roof of my RPO for…15 years? and none of it has peeled up yet. I find that the stuff with the paper backing doesn’t stick to wood at all.

Bob, How well does it hold paint?

After I applied aluminum tape to my roofs, I gave them a light sanding with steel wool or scotchbrite. First coat of ultra flat black primer and then a coat of flat black primer. Paint has held up just fine.

What he said. Some 400 grit sandpaper and Rustoleum paint seems to hold up well enough.

1 Like

Powered through the combine roof and grab irons today.

1 Like

Looks great! 20 Characters yet?

They are just about ready for HEP cabling, air conditioning and high speed trucks!

1 Like

Ready for paint

The weather is perfect for outdoor painting 50 or higher …

First coat on the baggage car roof.

1 Like

spray or brush ? The minions want to know…

Looking fantastic. I love using the foil tape. Kevin Strong turned me on to that and it’s a great look. Those are really coming out well.

Brush paint. It’s a dark grey mix of Rustoleum I made when I did the RPO and some other cars.

I dont remember where I saw the foil tape idea. I did use it on the 1:20.3 budget boxcars, and those are from, what, the late 1990s?

1 Like

My first use was circa 1999. I was also influenced by Kevin.

Combine roof done.

3 Likes

Talking to Del about getting the lettering done for these (Including lettering for the existing RPO, and the to-build business cars). Using the P-B-L cars as inspiration, as they’re well-researched models.




2 Likes

Got the Cricut back working so I took a stab at some lettering. Need to make the numbers smaller and add the REA text, but overall I like it.

I just acquired what I think is a Don Winter passenger car kit. I saw your post and was wondering if these kits came with instructions? If so, is there a source to get a copy?
-Brad

Brad,

Welcome aboard!

I don’t have those, but I’ll suggest an email to Don Niday at Iron Creek Shops. He might have some clues, if not the actual files.

Actually, I’m in the same boat. A few years back I bought a plastic tub full of car kit parts, two of which I think are these Don Winter Passenger Car kits. Also one or two Drover’s Cabeese. But no instructions, and no way to tell if all the parts are there. No OB’s either, just a bunch of mixed up parts.

If someone can find instructions, I’d be glad to have them. As well as Brad.