Large Scale Central

Dirty and Dusty Railway

Why the Dirty and Dusty Railway? I’ve always liked trains but it is also therapy for me. In fact, writing this article will be therapy.
At age 49 I had a severe diabetic stroke. I think garden railroading has been a big help in my recovery. I’m lrgally blind and don’t have fine dexterity in my left arm but I can build a railroad! I’ll have to do this article in parts and it may take a year but I’ll make a good beginning.
But why is it the Dirty and Dusty Railway? Several reasons. First, I am building my layout on the High Desert of Southern California where it can be dirty and dusty. Secondly, it sometimes gets dirty and dusty between work sessions. And third, it will be a mining layout.
The layout is approximately 50 feet by 100 feet. Add another 20 feet on one side for a turning wye and under-construction train barn. I have about 500 feet of track laid and about 15 switches. It is a steam-era layout from the late 30s in a poverty-stricken west. It is battery/rc. I went this route because with my poor eyesight I like to stay close to my trsains and enjoy operations.
Lots more in part two!

Doug Arnold said:
Lots more in part two!
Now you need to write up the article, preferably with pictures, in the articles section since this forum is used to DISCUSS the article, not to present it in its full form. Spelling, punctuation and grammar all count toward the overall score. Good luck!

Atta boy Doug!!!

Never give up. I like your attitude and look forward to seeing your railroad.

Andre’

I will have photos and a graphic of the train’s logo with the new edition – amd I’ll put it in the right place!

It was such a slow day on the railroad that a freight backed into a siding to visit with the couple at the end of the siding.

There you go flauntin that nice weather again :slight_smile:
I guess it was a slow day, as it took three years :smiley:
Ralph

Doug, the Adobe building loks good there. May I ask what the (looks like a switch) is for,at the left rear of the building ?

You’ve got good eyesight. That is a switch. I’m going to build buildings for each siding and install switches so I can cut the power ito the siding f I have more than ine train running on track power,

Nifty idea :slight_smile:

Joe Digger was a prospector for many years. Then he struck it rich near the Dirty and Dusty Railway.

During the winter the miners had to wheelbarrow their ore to the mine cars, But soon no more.

Spring seems to have arrived and construction has begun on a siding to the mine.

A nearby sawmill spent most of the day today cutting wood for an ore chute that the miners can dump their ore in so it can fill the mine cars.

Hey Doug

I have been playing with trains since I was a teenager and it has been good to me. Now we moved to Hawaii and into our home three weeks ago. Wam Bam ! In the hospital for 5 days after just being here for one week and they carved my innards like a Thanksgiving Turkey. Kind of put a short hold on the trains stuff but I shall be back at it soon, well maybe in a couple more weeks. So the ending is, hang in for the long haul. It must be phun…

Now TOF in Hawaii

Hang in there for the long haul is the best way! It’s great to hear from you.

Have you got a place picked out for a new railroad?

Doug

We picked the property that has a little over 3 acres so I have plenty of room to build a looong tabletop layout. I don’t have much left of the goofy gauge stuff. Just a few live steam logging engines and log cars. I have been thinking about running On30 outside instead as I have a very isolated spot above the house that is nice and flat. About 50x50 area that could be used. I have a lot of thoughts but have to wait until my ambition comes back…

You have some land to play with and that helps coping with the ups & downs of life.

Cheers Doug Make mine Guinness Stout and one for my friend…

We have 2 1/2 acres and the railroad wraps around the fruit trees.

An On30 layout on a 50x50 will give you a lot of room to work. Just remember, the more you do the more ambition you get. Just don’t overdo it.

My vote goes with the Guinness!

Darryl Noble said:
In the hospital for 5 days after just being here for one week and they carved my innards like a Thanksgiving Turkey. Kind of put a short hold on the trains stuff
Oh No! That sure would. Hope you're back in action quickly.

Train operations suspended!

Dirty Dusty & Snowy?

But after a few days it’ll be all gone.

Doug I got just over a foot of snow at the house.

And maybe some more for the weekend. Our snow is almost gone but I don’t have to water this week!

We did make it to 51 on Monday!