Large Scale Central

Dirty and Dusty indoors

Now that Christmas is over it is time to get busy on the indoor layout.

ing.

This will be a small switching layout. I have never “imagined” anything like this so any suggestions will very much be appreciated.

The first challenge is attaching the drawing.

Joe got the drawing up. It is at the bottom of this page!

https://www.largescalecentral.com/filesharing/folder/view/339/new-layout

What kind of file is it? Take a pic of it and post the old way?

I think Gary found the right tinker!

Doug Arnold said:

Well, I did get it to say it is a pdf so that is progress! I put it on my second attempt! Nice afternoon to tinkering!

Doug,

You should be able to Google for a couple of free programs to convert from pdf to jpg and vice versa. If you have Office, there is a converter embedded there. Oooop’s, you have a Mac…correct?

Select the “PDF” drop-down menu and click “Save PDF to iPhoto.” Preview will automatically save each page of the PDF as a JPEG. 4. Open Finder and navigate to your iPhoto album.

Yep. It’s a Mac. I will do some looking. There’s always a way!

You can just bring it up on the screen and do a screen shot. Cmd-shift-4 will let you draw a window for the capture.

Once I took a picture I tried cmd v to paste in on the screen but nothing happened! What do I do to paste tin?

Doug Arnold said:

Once I took a picture I tried cmd v to paste in on the screen but nothing happened! What do I do to paste tin?

Hey Doug,

See my edited post above. It worked for me with a pdf file of a layout design I had drawn many years ago.

It saves it to a png file that you can then attach to your post.

here goes again!

That’s still showing as a pdf.

I got one to upload in my Freight Shed but the quality is terrible!

Doug Arnold said:

I got one to upload in my Freight Shed but the quality is terrible!

Doug,

Send the photo to me (as a jpg) and I can run it through my “photo fixer” and send it back to you. See what you think. Then try to post it. OK? Send to my email address (you have it).

I was able to upload one as a jpg but it still wouldn’t open. The two pdfs i was not able to delete. There is also two of my files in the Freight Shed that would not delete. The only thing that would delete is the entire folder! This worked so easy with the old system. The latest update for the Mac is no better!

Gary and I are tinkering so I may get it to work!

From what I can discern on your initial sketches…

1 - the turntable appears to be a bit large for a switching layout.

2 - The sidings on the back side of the long leg - the ones that curve towards the bottom edge - present ‘reach’ issues.

If the space is available, I suggest narrowing the ‘short bar’ to 16-18 inches wide, and then have a 2 foot wide aisle between it and a 5 foot wide by 8 foot long peninsula with an R1 oval of track on it. The bottom shelf, apart from the peninsula, need be only 2 or 2.5 feet deep. A shape like an ‘F’ on its ‘back.’

…Doug may have to enlarge his turntable even more, if he plans on “Switching” with his Big Boy, or a Dash 9…!!!

Fred Mills

I just saw your note. I haven’t gotten a Big Boy. After seeing it in Cajon Pass on its way to Wyoming it would probably take the entire switching layout!

https://www.largescalecentral.com/filesharing/folder/view/339/new-layout

Doug,

Here’s your plan…

You could just model a wash rack and service facility for the Dash 9 or the Big Boy and call it done?