Large Scale Central

Dioramas

Has anyone here, played around with dioramas?

3 Likes

My shelf layout that I have just started on will have just structure fronts, as my Large-Scale RR is only 3 ’ wide. Most of the fronts are only 2" in depth, mainly for the LED lighting can have some effect on the inside. I would call the structure fronts somewhat like a diorama.

1 Like

thanks for presenting these masterpieces!

yes, i have. but not on this level.

since i went indoors again with my trains, i tried to let the layouts apear larger than they are, by using optical barriers and creating each section as a kind of diorama with different “themes”.
as well i do have some background flats - store- or house fronts to be put in front of painted backgrounds as part of the dioramas. (more unfinished ones, than complete ones)

elklodge34

facades01

this forest will be integrated and finished in the next layout:

1 Like

Many years ago I work at Crains, Trains and Hobby’s when I was a teen. Mr. Bill Crane was friends with Leo Campbell of Campbell Scale Models. Leo brought two dioramas for Bill to display over the Christmas holidays. I never got over the simplicity and beauty of these diorama’s. Leo laid individual ties and rail scaled at forty foot lengths with fish plates and proper joints. Amazing detail I have never seen before this! They were built in a six foot long boxes and about three foot wide. They would pack up like a crate and were really portable.
To this day, I still desire to build these displays for myself. I still am fascinated with the time put into these displays and the themes people use for them.
Good show!!

2 Likes

Back in the 70s i was awe struck by the work of Shep Paine for monogram models
I tryed to duplicate his work…

1 Like

But, but, does that mean you’ll finish this one??? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Cheers
N

Richard, have you got photos?

Noho, Sir.
it just means, that i spared this 2meter/6’8" diorama from destroying “deconstruction”.

1 Like

This is the closest I’ve come to that sort of thing:

5 Likes

Where is this hiding on your layout Cliff? Would it by any chance, be at…

a…

basement window level?

Like Cliff, the closest example I have is from back in 2009 when I modeled things in and around my town. Then I let Hollywood come over and run his circus train and it all went down hill from there. Even if he denies all wrong doing the “freaking gorilla” still lurks the woods of the area to this day after making one hell of a mess out of my diorama!

1 Like

Yep, pretty much, since the entire layout is at that level. :grinning: :grin:

1 Like

That would be a problem for anyone, my sympathies. However, I’m not convinced that the gorilla originated from one of Hollywood’s circus cars. Reasonable circumstantial evidence, sure; but let’s see the waybill.

1 Like

Cliff, this your K-Tel moment.

#But wait! There’s more!

Act now and not only will we include ShedOps 2024 but show you what’s going in those boxes before they get inhumed!

Bring your own wooden stake, sunscreen and crucifix as we cannot guarantee potential immortality.

Bill, I’m chuckling, but wondering what in the hades are you referring to? :grinning:

Cliff you’ve been very secretive about those exhumed cercueils with the blue pipe coming out of the chamber of secrets under the house. (And yes, I morbidly looked these synonyms up. :vampire:)

well, Bill, you asked for dioramas.
the following is from a guy in germany:

he models in scale 1:35

3 Likes

Amazing Korm!

Not quite a diorama, but we joined a bonsai club years ago to have trees on the railway. We only discovered these Crash Bonsai displays in recent years.

It’s opened up a bunch of new ideas for us to play around with…

2 Likes

Sadly…no.
That was at the tender age of 12.
No camera, no money…

1 Like

for those with too much time on their hands: the website of that guy, i mentioned above

the text is in german, but the pics are in perfect english.

i have to correct myself - he is swiss, not german.

2 Likes