Large Scale Central

Devistation @ the Limestone Ridge Line

Looking good! I bet that level turns up eventually.

Mower duty tomorrow I was picking up the piles of weeds and sod.
I put my tools away.

John Le Forestier said:
Looking good! I bet that level turns up eventually.
I agree. The mower will probably find it :)

I don’t think so.
I have raked out the area collecting all the plant life I doug out.

Was that level small enough to be carried off by an owl?

I had a raven fly low over me yesterday when painting the train barn. It was carrying a stick.

It’s Spring!

Yes it was a 10" level. still missing. I put up my clock today it can be read from both sides.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/paps101line/_forumfiles/clock1.jpg)

Looks good David. I put mine up a few days ago too. Yours looks like they did a better job getting the bracket square than on mine.

Cant wait to see the first train running.

I like that. I just have to learn to tell time!

Dave,

I read through your posts from start to finish, and am glad to see that you used large rocks to make the retaining walls. I’ve used this method for all of the railroads I’ve built and while it does take some yearly maintenance, overall, it isn’t that bad. One thing I didn’t notice: are you tamping the right of way after you laid the fines, before you add the ballast to the track? On my railroads, I’ve used that method and then laid the track on top, add ballast then grab the track sections and sort of shake them back and forth slightly to raise and level them: exactly how the 1:1 lays and relays track.

In any event, looks like you’ve got it under control.

PS. wildlife is part of the fun. Just hoping your dog doesn’t decide to build a log barricade across the tracks… or at least you will notice before you run your steamer through it…

Yes I have been tanpin the fines and have been packing the ballast around the ties also. I mowed the grass today. The little level is still missing.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/paps101line/_forumfiles/mowed1.jpg)

I went to Lowes to see if I could find some small trees but all they had was the big stuff.
I don’t know what I’m going to plant yet though.

David; The layout is looking good. Just have to ask when you installed the ditch lights on your dog. One of my cats had ditch lights, and I didn’t even know she was a diesel!

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/davemeashey/Ginger2_0005.jpg)

Have fun, David Meashey

My dog installed them herself.

I’m working on a utility shed.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/paps101line/_forumfiles/shed1.jpg)

I wanted to put a wood shingle roof but I don’t have any cedar, so I don’t know what kind of roof I’ll put on it.

So I’ll tap this fourm for some HELP.
If I put a wood sealer on the pop stick shingled roof will it hold up?
I’m tight for cash right now so I need to be able to use what I have on hand.

David Kapp said:
So I'll tap this fourm for some HELP. If I put a wood sealer on the pop stick shingled roof will it hold up? I'm tight for cash right now so I need to be able to use what I have on hand.
Dave it will hold up but make sure you really soak the wood in a good sealer. Make sure you do it once a year. I like to re-seal my stuff during the fall when the leaves are falling. Also make sure you have a base to put the building on like a paver or stone. My logging camp is faced with those fun sticks.

Another trick I use to save money is I build a crude woodbox with pressure treated wood or anything I have around 2 by fours ect… and then face it with popsicle sticks or those fun sticks. My logging camp is built like that.

Nobody asked for my two cents’ worth, but here goes anyway…
I’d just build that shack by nailing those tongue depressors or popsicle sticks to a solid chunk of wood - maybe a couple of 2x4’s cut on an angle and nailed together to make a solid block.

I would use only nails, not glue - I just can’t bring myself to trust glue outdoors. That goes for wood sealers too. Shucks, I don’t even trust plywood out there. I’ve seen things made with all these things fall apart far too often to trust any of them.

I’d place the finished building on a flat rock or concrete slab. Four round screwheads or nails into the bottom of the block to raise it 1/8" above the stone for air circulation underneath.

I’d consider covering the roof with any of the following junk I’ve got kicking around here: real shingle, rubber car mat, old election sign, Tin from a big Olive oil or other large rectangular tincan, Alum. popcans run thru a corrugator, or other waterproof stuff, such as plastic tarpaulin, plastic from a square lard bucket, strips of plastic conduit.

Or I might create my roof out of standard modelling materials, then make a rough mould by turning it upside-down into a sandpit. Then I’d lift it out gently and cast my roof in solid concrete, and set that on top. Concrete can be coloured with earth pigments from paint mfr or (less choice) bldg center.

The only glue/cement I use outdoors is epoxy, and then only to glue waterproof materials such as plastics.

I would nail my roofing materials on, but if it’s really waterproof I guess you could use glue, say contact cenent, and it would probably hold a long time. But to tell the truth, I like to do things only once, and I don’t mind going to extra trouble to make pretty sure that I’ll never have to fix it up or maintain or even think about it again. I don’t like any of my projects to create extra annual maintenance work for me.

OK, I’m shamelessly lazy, that’s for sure.

But there’s more to it than that. I’m still building my pike. When I consider the small amount of time I have to work on it anyway, the shortness of the season, the amount of stuff I still want to create, and the other challenges I already face out there, I feel I must avoid creating things that will add to my annual to-do list!

Oh, and I’d avoid painting it, because I wouldn’t want to maintain a paint job either. I use different woods or different materials for different parts of a building, and just leave thenm naked and let them weather au naturel. If/when I ever get the basic construction of my pike finished, then I might consider getting out the paintbrushes, but I don’t see that happening soon, as I don’t really like painting all that much anyway!

OK, for two cents, that’s all you get for now!

John;
Thanks for your 2 cents worth. I was going to try what you posted. One question though. I’ve been trying to find something small enough to fasten
tongue depressors or alike to the blocks.What size brads or nails do you use?

I got my level back. Seems like there is a 4 pawed theif in the area.
This is the story.
I was setting on my deck last evening and had a visitor from up the road.
He had in hand my level. He said he found it next to his deck and was asking around to see where it came from.
He said his dog got out and was running a muck in the neighborhood.
He has a system simular to mine, but his dog likes getting shocked so he runs right through it.
My dog on the other hand is slower and doesn’t like getting shocked she stays away from it.
I was surprised it didn’t have any teeth marks on it.
Mystery of the lost level is now solved.