Large Scale Central

Devistation @ the Limestone Ridge Line

I 'm mortified at the amount of track work that is needed at the Limestone Ridge Line needs this year. Just around the west loop is major work. First was the dog attack on the lake front. Shown below. Never leave a dog unattended for any length of time. All the rocks came from the waterfall that was along the track. The dog tore it down to get at a chipmunk. She got the chipmunk I might add.

Then on the other side of the loop we have frost movement and track seperation. Down hill side.

This is just the west loop. I’ll be all summer fixing this up.

I guess I shouldn’t have made the track free foating.
I just floated away.
Even though it’s free floating I get a sinking feeling when I look at it.

Yea, it looks like a lot of the ballast washed away. Springtime maintenance like this is one of the reasons I went with spline roadbed and 2x6s. The ballast is just decorative.

Bob;
Not really the stones moved down the hill The track should be straight just before the turn.
I don’t know if I have the smarts to do it the way you do it.
The trackbed should be further up the hill.

David good thing your retired now. I think you need to add some retaining walls in the areas it sinks. That will prevent the rocks from rolling. Also try using crusher fines (stone dust) Thats will stay packed down better then loose stone.

The railroad bed didn’t move. The large rocks above the tracks pushed down over the track bed and pushed the track down the hill.
If you look at the flat rocks that are to the right of the tracks in the last picture you can see it there.The flat stones were back in line with the fist stone. Now the further the stones are to the left much more. The frost moved these rocks to the left seperating the track and pushing the track down the hill.
I measured the distance, and the corner rock moved 8 inches to the left of where it was placed.
you can see a bow in the track that track was straight.
If you watch the video of my crash you can see how it was.
The video was taken before the pond was built but the track was not changed.
Yo go down the straight streach alond the wall to the west loop as you get to the first turn that is where the pond is now.
you turn left toward the deck that is where the side hill is and where the rocks moved down over the track bed.
When you make the turn you can see how straight the track was, then compair it to the last picture.
The B&O WRECK
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sorY2K-FYH4&feature=results_video&lr=1&ob=0
Don’t you just love the sound of that LGB streamliner?
You can see the whole train by clicking the tab for 3 videos.

Wow, 8 inches of lateral movement is a lot. I would check under the deck to see if you have movement. I would guess you do. It looks like the movement is a result of the rocks, but normally they wont move that far. There has to be some stability issues under the deck which is causing the whole thing to move.

As for the dog…my sister-in-law had a dog literally tear the front grill off her car when her dog went after a squirel. I think it ended up with about $1500 worth of damage. I would have been hard pressed to not shoot that dog!

Today I’m bringing in rock to shore up the bank of a “dry” wash on my layout. Not only did it nearly undermine the track but left the porch of one building hanging out over the wash.

At least it’s a nice day to work outside.

You could always have a layout re-building meeting

David: It seems disheartening at first but once you get started I think you’ll find you can fix it up pretty quickly. Looks like the rocks had been on the surface, and either they slipped and pushed the mud, or more likely the mud slipped and brought the rocks skating along on top.

Well, you’ve got to figure exactly what slipped and why and how to put a stop to it.

Since there’s nothing on the other side of the track but a trench, you ought to fill that in because gravity is for sure going to fill it in for you my friend.

Gravity will use whatever is closest, in this case, your rocks, that pile of dirt, AND your tracks. And that’s exactly what it has started to do. Another couple of years and that trench will just disappear by natural action. Dirt is lazy. It slumps.

Well, you’ve got to forsee what will happen and take the necessary steps. Don’t lay your track on ground that will move.

You could
a) fill in that trench, as I said, so then there’s nowhere for that dirtpile to slump into.

b) build a retaining wall above the track to hold back that hill, and create a level area below the wall for your track.

c) install those flat rocks so they won’t skate over the surface of your hill there. They weren’t performing any useful engineering function as they were anyway. They look to me as if the’d be better used as flagstones in a walkway.

d) put your track on roadbed, spline or otherwise, as Bob suggested - that would be the simplest, but your earth would still do whatever gravity commands.

If I were going the roadbed route I’d raise my track well above ground level, that’s my taste - up around waist height.

But if you want it close to the ground, fine, just get it above soil level, not right down on the ground like that, where shifting ground will mess you up every year. I’d want to stop that ground from shifting above my track anyway, but at least give the dirt a way of sliding under your roadbed! That means a roadbed, spline or board, but on stilts.

Now Bob mentioned ballast. He was talking about his own ballast, which he says is just decorative.

Like Bob, I don’t think of ballast as a useful item in a garden railway; it’s just decoration as far as I’m concerned, and I don’t ballast my own track at all! My railroad is laid on bricks which I make level on the ground, but not down at ground level.

Each year for the first 4-5 years I raised the track by a couple of brick thicknesses. I also brought in dirt and fill to fill in under and around, so now my track is above knee height. I’d be glad to get it even higher but in my small garden that’s not practical.

I used recycled concrete building rubble that I got for free from demolition sites round here to build walls around this track - most people look at it all and think it’s fancy rocks. I used the same stuff to build up tunnels and cliffs, and then topped it all with a few nice richly textured limestone rocks on top of the hills and tunnels.

The main point is that it took a few years, but now I’ve got my track high, so I don’t have to bend over, dry, and above any dirt except for the dirt I’ve piled in there to make a couple of “mountains”. These mountains are held in place by substantial rockwork.

When you do any rockwork, consider how water will flow, and set the rocks so it flows in a harmless direction. For more about all this, take a look at a book on building rock walls in your garden. My motto is: Do it once, do it right, and never do it again.

By the way, that gravel you’ve got there for ballast - you should use that for a foundation under any retaining wall you decide to build. It’ll allow water to flow UNDER that wall instead of pushing against the wall. Also, as you fill in behind a wall, place gravel first thing behind it so water can slip down the back. Water loves to flow over gravel, not be held back by mud or clay. Consider where your water is going to flow, and create a path or ditch for it that will keep it from going where you don’t want. That path or ditch for the water can also be filled with gravel. The water won’t mind, it’ll just flow right through the gravel. As long as you’ve given it a slope to go down the right direction in that path or ditch. OK?

Good luck with your railway!

… And invite Nico over.

David, it is disheartening, but the rebuild goes easier than you might think, unless you decide to change things… :stuck_out_tongue: That has always been my downfall.

What Steve said. Two years ago my RR was in a bad state after a few years of neglect. It was, I thought, beyond my ability to rebuild it, small as it is. I had a “Help Rebuild Bob’s RR” event and about ten people ended up coming over for three days. Most of the work was done over the first day and a half. Many hands, and all that…

Bob McCown said:
What Steve said. Two years ago my RR was in a bad state after a few years of neglect. It was, I thought, beyond my ability to rebuild it, small as it is. I had a "Help Rebuild Bob's RR" event and about ten people ended up coming over for three days. Most of the work was done over the first day and a half. Many hands, and all that...
not to mention we had a lot of fun doing it too..............;)

And yep not too many bheers were consumed in the recreation of Bob’s RR. :wink:

Randy McDonald said:
And yep not too many bheers were consumed in the recreation of Bob's RR. ;)
Well, lets just say we kept the lines straight where they needed to be...............;)

Good ideas there. Only thing is I can’t fill in the trench, I have to let that open.
Well the deck didn’t move supports are over 4’ deep. The deck is almost 50’ long.
The mound and rocks are setting on top of plastic weed block that was placed there last spring.
Rocks and mostly mulch on top of mound of dirt from excavation of the pond.
I was thinking of placing a block of some kind to build up to hold the stone so I can build up the corner more.
I also am going to change the rocks along the track. I’m thinking of rounder rocks. I have flat rocks there now.
A friend has all kind of rocks he said I can have all I can haul away.

The mound and rocks are setting on top of plastic weed block

That might be your problem David? Allowing them to slide. Not sure, just a thought.

Randy;
That is what I was thinking. If you look at the rocks in the middle picture looking into the turn and beyond the rocks are running to the right.
The rocks should be running to the left away from the track to allow for room on the turn ahead.
You can see how the track was pulled apart.
That and the rocks are flat allowing them to slide easy. I want to replace them with more round rocks.
It’s worth a try that way didn’t work.

David if using rocks use bigger ones and sink them into the ground some. All the rocks on my RR (there are a lot) are sunk into the ground some. I never had a rock move on me.