Large Scale Central

Designing for Operations: Need Help!

Below is my current layout:

It is approximately 24 feet by 44 feet. It has been great for “running” trains, but not so great for “operating” trains. Good or bad, one of the things that I have been fixated on lately is the need to CHANGE directions. I find that I always run in a single direction, and I don’t like it for operating. I know there are lots of ways to operate with a simple loop, but I have recently been granted some additional right of way, so now I have an opportunity to “fix” my problem. This gives me an extension for a total area of about 24 feet by 60 feet.

There’s some existing trees and plants to get around, but right now I’m just trying to get a basic track circuit down. Therefore I’ve left out a lot of switches…but have indicated some possible passing siding locations. Though, quite frankly, they are too close together in the drawing above! This diagram is shows a loop to loop. The lower right hand loop will probably be elevated a couple of feet; the rest is on the ground. That dashed line was originally going to be a tunnel, but I’ve had second thoughts - it will probably be a cut instead. I MAY be able to put a small yard in the upper left “north” of the patio (that red square) - or perhaps a wye instead? I would like to STILL have the option for continuous running. But, my main focus will be on single person operations…with perhaps an ability to have one or two others over. It will have both freight and passenger trains. This is a narrow gauge line, so I don’t want a lot of track in some convoluted spaghetti pattern. :slight_smile: Switches will be hand thrown and it is all battery power. I am open to the idea of staging lines somehwere. I do want a small yard. I’d like at least three towns as well - each with a passing siding. So, any ideas or suggestions? Different track plans? Help NEEDED!