Large Scale Central

Dear Bob

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

And there’s another little item that irks a bit. It has been the custom (requirement?) for several years that one registers with one’s real name — I guess the real “Old Timers” got grandfathered in.

So if one’s name is Detlef Sierts it isn’t Korm Kormsen.

But as mentioned, as always strictly my opinion!

oh dearest Hans,

so what?

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/17297/under-pressure/view/page/9

http://youtu.be/q8D48vKkYAw

HEY ALL ! Trains are supposed to be fun and they are, when I’m not out in the yard playing with them I’m on this forum to get my train fix. I enjoy seeing and reading about the latest projects and how they were done.
I feel like I have been jumped on before but what can you do? It is a public forum. Yes sometimes fingers and toes get stepped on but we need to toughen up and move on. Some guys take their trains really seriously and feel the need ot get their point across but come on lets be civil about it. There are more important things to worry about then who makes the best train, track and what will become of the molds etc… from Aristo…

Trains and this forum is a place to relax and enjoy. I’d rather hear about the big boy on the move and look at proud photos from someones latest project than hear about the shutdown of the federal government. There is more to worry about like Obamacare, our WW2 vets being shut out while a rally for illegal immigrants is allowed to go on? Trains are a great escape compared to the train wreck this country is heading for.
Maybe the pressures of the current world are finding their way onto the forums and people are angry?
I say guys CHILL OUT and GO PLAY WITH YOUR TRAINS!

I feel the same as Korm. It appears no matter what is posted, it is pirated and turned into insults to the poster or inferring a simple question by a newby is an insult to the cliché. Many of the so called FACT contributors are banded from other forms. WHY???

It is my feeling Bob has lost control of this forum as it has been pirated by a few for their own personal feuds. If I was an advertiser, I would think twice as to whether this forum fits their views of the hobby. There are less than 50 of 2000 members viewing this on a routine basis. WHY???

When or if Bob ever gets control again, he should send a note inviting them back.

Joe Zullo said:

You are way off base. I don’t remember bashing you are anyone else for owning/liking Aristocraft products. I do not presently own any. I most strongly object to a “couple” of members bashing other members as Kool Aide Drinkers for their beliefs, because “they” know it all. If members do not desire to believe what these forum gods have to say, they shouldn’t be put down, just because these forum gods have been around for 10+ years on these forums. I will not stand for bullying on forums or anywhere.

Joe then maybe you should step back a little and look at your own posts, because as I said, it takes two to tango and you seam to be enjoying the dance with both Greg and TOC every bit as much as they do, and like a true classic tango, each partner tries to out maneuver with fancy footwork and body moves to find just the right spot to stick a knife in. But you have to join the dance to make the moves. My point is that maybe just maybe, the manner and tone of your posts are equally at blame for the very behavior your arguing against. I’ve had plenty of run in’s with folks here on MLS and I almost got banned in Britain on GSC so I know about getting hot under collar , but I dont let things get to me personally, its all just electrons floating around in the either, no will care 100 years from now. So step back, cool off, run a train.

(http://www.funelf.net/photos/Chill-dude.jpg)

I do not post that often, visit daily and look for the info that provides me with the knowledge and understanding on how-to-do a project; some contributors has awesome talents in scratchbuilding, electrical etc. and design - keep a posting!

Talents I am limited with, many ideas of my own; however, now health issues with the 'ol Carpal Tunnel and arm nerve damage keeps me with the pins and needles+ , more so if I mess with the PAZ RR just about daily, which is what I do…

again, a thank you to you all!

PS To show how close I came in Britain to getting the big B, I had already prepared a new signature pic:

(http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/vsmith/Banned_Britain.JPG)

:slight_smile:

Wally, Beaver! Go to your room!

Korm Kormsen said:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

And there’s another little item that irks a bit. It has been the custom (requirement?) for several years that one registers with one’s real name — I guess the real “Old Timers” got grandfathered in.

So if one’s name is Detlef Sierts it isn’t Korm Kormsen.

But as mentioned, as always strictly my opinion!

oh dearest Hans,

so what?

http://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/17297/under-pressure/view/page/9

http://youtu.be/q8D48vKkYAw

Yes indeed!

OK I see it like this:

ABC’s name is actually XYZ

Why the charade?

What’s wrong with his real name?

What does he gain?

What does he lose?

What is being hidden?

So there they are, one “why” and four “what”.

**Vic Smith said:…**no will care 100 years from now.

Well Vic, I can certainly tell you I agree with that! :wink:

There are times when grown men are more like 13 year old girls in a school clicque. This is one of those times. The petty bickering and posturing occuring on this thread is no different than that occurring in Washington, D. C. at present. Fuel is constantly applied to a virtual fire that is fast becoming a major conflagration that has the potential to seriously damage a useful tool for large scale afficianados.

Too often opinion is offered as fact and real facts are dismissed as inconsequential by those with strong contrary opinions. There are some individuals on this forum who possess considerable worthwhile knowledge that are dismissed as know-it-alls because they are able to present facts in a meaningful useful manner even though they are counter to the prevailing tenor and attitude of the thread.

Alexander Pope admonished, “It is better to remain silent and be thought the fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.” Opinions are like the lower orifice of the alimentary canal, everybody has one. That does not mean that they require regular exposure. Use facts and data and cordial dialogue and this forum will return to its prior exalted status.

Respectfully,

NYC Buff

Well said (or written) , Gordon.

“It is better to remain silent and be thought the fool than to open one’s mouth and remove all doubt.”

Honest Abe maybe?

(http://quoteinvestigator.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/lincolntwain05.jpg)

although it is equally attributed to Mark Twain, but he was later probably quoting Abe, honestly.

Korm is not leaving, he is taking a break from the forum because he sees argument in many of the typical threads historically known to raise the temperature. Unless I am mistaken such ‘arguments’ were and are commonplace on most forums unless strictly moderated as one recently joined member well known for his views on another site, quickly reminded us. Given the choice between totalitarian controlled moderation and the ‘thick skinned’ approach that Bob has moderated by for many years, I can say the more liberal approach is more to my liking. It allows stimulating conversation (assuming one has the ability to actually communicate and not extend their Twitter account or their knowledge of punctuation marks to invade their thought processes).

The system breaks down when a DISCUSSION becomes an ARGUMENT. This typically occurs when one side, overwhelmed by information and unable to respond seeks a way out while still trying to save face and should this not succeed proclaims that they have been insulted and bullied. This is not limited to one side but both sides of an argument. You know that you have lost when you seek to ridicule your ‘opponent’.

A recent thread whereby there was no excuse for snide remarks, had the thread oritginator posting a topic that should in itself not have raised any suggestion of an argument, but on the third posting the rot started. There are trolls on this site who want to derail any thread started or responded to by certain members on the site. They have lost the argument but to regain their macho ego they seek to undermine others. When challenged their childish response is ‘why pick on me it is not me but him.’ These are supposedly adults but act more like adolescent schoolgirls on Facebook.

Unlike Korm I am thick skinned and merely see these people for what they are. There are a handful of people on this site that I totally ignore and will not read nor respond to any of their postings. I find that there is more than enough information from the educated members of this site without resorting to postings from those trolls intent on bullying others into submission.

This site of late has seem change. With the looming shutdown of the manufacturer site and dissent on another site, many new members are posting on this site. They come here and think what is going on here. They have come from a sheltered environment with heavy moderation and are overwhelmed. I know years ago before joining the site, when I used to lurk, reading as much information as I could that there were an eclectic bunch of characters plus a few others that I could not tolerate. Thankfully, that eclectic bunch are still posting and form the information backbone on this site. The others are still here but as they do not contribute positively to any discussion then I ignore them. I believe that if one reads the sticky on forum rules/etiquette, Bob actually advises such a course of action.

A train forum is more than ‘running trains’ as many seem to keep wanting us to believe. It is a place for discussion on topics that impact on our hobby. Some are unable or unwilling to discuss and yet for some reason they feel compelled to interrupt the discussion to derail it. I cannot understand this line of thought. If one is opposed to the topic discussion then one has the right to discuss their views. Simply killing off a discussion implies bias or personal gain.

Korm will return as will others who have bid their farewells. There are enough interesting characters on this site to make the experience worthwhile.

Very well said Gordon. Korm you will be missed!!! Vic, where do you find all those funny pictures from. I love the cat dancing.

Chuck

Unlike my friend Korm, I am not taking a break. I won’t be bullied, so I am staying. I listen to facts (no problem there). I balk at bashing. No one on this forum should be bullied.

Joe Zullo said:

… No one on this forum should be bullied.

Joe,
I agree that no one has the right to bully anyone whether on a forum or in life. Please remember that also when next posting.

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/gary_buchanan/chickensuits.jpg)

Joe Zullo said:

Unlike my friend Korm, I am not taking a break. I won’t be bullied, so I am staying. I listen to facts (no problem there). I balk at bashing. No one on this forum should be bullied.

You are absolutely right … however those who have nothing to contribute to any given discussion should spare the rest of us the utterly stupid “.” and other such nonsense.

This is what set the tone for this thread

Joe Zullo said:

All it takes is a couple of bitter know it alls to sour the whole forum. I will miss your posts Korm. Take care my friend and have fun.

And you may polish your halo for a while longer, in my opinion you could also start to act your age.

PS BTW anyone who has been on the Internet for more than two days knows that expecting the participants on any given forum to sing from one hymnbook is wishful thinking.

Gordon and Tim,

I thank you both for eloquently summing up the situation with out, IMHO, adding fuel to a fine already out of control.

Bob C.

Korm…even though we didn’t see eye to eye on modeling tastes we did see eye to eye on what can be done with materials on hand. I thank you for your posts/pictures as they were always very interesting (to me anyway) and I don’t do any other train forums.

:wink: