Large Scale Central

Dead Rooster Walking

But I thought roosters were tough birds. Not really suitable for fried chicken. Now maybe they would work in a slow cooked stew, where the meat could tenderize over a few hours in a broth.

Bruce Chandler said:

If you ever make it out to the Big Train Show in Ontario CA, be sure to look around for a rotisserie chicken chain called Juan Pollo, they serve the second best chicken on earth, slow roasted rotisserie with a citrus marinade, The Best chicken on earth is down in Long Beach/Westminster are called Charo Chicken, their spicy dry rub rotisserie chicken is to die for.

Hehe. Reminds me of the time I visited LA on business MANY, MANY years ago. Saw a billboard that advertised the 2nd best chili in LA. Had to try it. After that, I suspected that ALL of the other chili places had tied for 1st. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

I was viciously attacked by one of my roosters once, kind of surprised me as we had interacted with no issues several times. However this time he decided we should do battle and pulled a Blitzkreig on me and left half a dozen puncture wounds in my legs. He won the battle, however 10 minutes later I returned with the 12ga in hand and I won the war.

Chris Kieffer said:

I was viciously attacked by one of my roosters once, kind of surprised me as we had interacted with no issues several times. However this time he decided we should do battle and pulled a Blitzkreig on me and left half a dozen puncture wounds in my legs. He won the battle, however 10 minutes later I returned with the 12ga in hand and I won the war.

The final result hurts my feelings and is not politically correct.

this post has been reported to the moderator by: Rooster

Not my fault, he was the one who brought a chicken to a gun fight!

If the animal attacked, then it felt that it had something to defend. Either his space, his hen, his food, or himself. So you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, from the animal’s point of view.

On the other hand, if my animal were to attack me, I have the right to defend myself, and its my animal darn it, so it should be grateful for all I have provided for it, and not attack me. I am sure that roosters can be replaced if need be.

a long time ago in a life far,far removed from current reality, I was a kindly 4 year old child with a taste for bread an butter. one fine day I had 2 slices of Wonders finest in my hands and was sent outside to enjoy the warm summer day. I sat on a tree stump and was joined by one of our peacocks and our Australian Shepard, Vicki. Life was good for all as I shared my hated crusts with Vicki and the male peacock, until all crust material was gone, the last pieces to the peacock as my grandpa had come out of his house 100 feet or so away, and Vicki had started toward him. The peacock, sensing his free lunch gone, attacked me, clawing and pecking as I attempted to cover and run it was scratching my face and hurting me when suddenly it was gone, Vicki the dog had grabbed it momentarily knocking it off me and my grandpa swiftly grabbed it as it was coming at me again and proceeded to windmill it about 3 or 4 times until its head was removed. I had several deep scratches, some still visible gouges, one within a inch from one eye and a long standing wariness anywhere near one of those time bombs, and I am not too fond of NBC either.

Note about my grandpa, he had long before my arrival lost his right arm to an old hay baling machine, so he literally saved me one handed. he hated wearing the hook thingy they had for him to wear.

Sorry about the distant relative, Rooster. Well not really, he started it.

Oh Gee. Now I feel better about the squirrel indecent. I guess animals that aren’t fully domesticated, are unpredictable, and volatile.

Like I said, dead rooster walking.

Steve keep us posted. I am interested in how your bird gets whacked.

I mean, how the rooster gets paid back.

Bruce Chandler said:

Bruce, now that I have picked myself up off the floor, I can type this message telling you how much I enjoyed your story…LOL

“demon possessed poultry” - boy doesn’t that say a lot.

Good story Steve, sorry for your pain.

I have the theme of “another one bites the dust” running through my head.

When I was a wee lad, we kept bantams.

when it was time to feed them and clean out their coop, I would be sent in. I was girded with armor–you know high rubber boots! Cocktail Robin would do his thing, I would Bob and weave. usually the boots were enough to save me from greavous bodily harm. though the boots did aquire some nasty scrapes and holes. I would often give thè colorful old bird a youthful kick, just to keep him off me don’t you know.

one day after a typical attack I saw blood fly. fearing for my person, I searched my body, counted fingers and toes and discovered one of his spurs buried in the thick rubber of my boot! didn’t seem to bother him much, he was no meaner than before!

we didn’t ever render him for stew, he lost a battle with a weasel some time later and was not replaced!

Steve I hear you … I still have a whole in my shin from my demon!

In this day and age of cell phone videos the whole thing was caught on tape: Steve vs. Chicken

Chris Kieffer said:

In this day and age of cell phone videos the whole thing was caught on tape: Steve vs. Chicken

Chris, that’s funny. Close, even to what happened, minus the dinner.

I feel like I’ve been in a fight, oh yeah, I have been.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

I’ve taken to wearing my motorcycle helmet whenever I go near the chickens. The rooster, however, gives me a wide berth, so all is not lost. Call me a bleeding heart, but I’ve stayed the execution. He serves a purpose, protecting the flock. He ran off a hawk, yesterday.

Hors d’ Combat

looks like you been very lucky, that he just missed the eye.

" Rooster " said:

Chris Kieffer said:

The final result hurts my feelings and is not politically correct.

this post has been reported to the moderator by: Rooster

You need THIS shirt, Rooster.

David Maynard said:

If the animal attacked, then it felt that it had something to defend. Either his space, his hen, his food, or himself. So you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, from the animal’s point of view.

On the other hand, if my animal were to attack me, I have the right to defend myself, and its my animal darn it, so it should be grateful for all I have provided for it, and not attack me. I am sure that roosters can be replaced if need be.

Thats not always true. We had a billy goat that would seek you out to let you know he did not like you. He would go out of his way to get through, over, under fences to find you and then knock you down and spit on you. They should be called bully goats not billy goats.

We did end up eating him though I am pretty sure. We had him, the butcher came, and we didn’t have him. then my mom made several dishes in the crock pot a couple weeks later.