Large Scale Central

Dead Rooster Walking

This afternoon, while innocently (shut up, Rooster) walking out to the railroad to do some track maintenance, I was attacked by our rooster. (I said, shut up, Rooster, I don’t wanna hear it)! As I walked past the hot tub, minding my own business, I was suddenly accosted by a demon spawn that hit my chest, knocking me off balance, and then tripping me, so I fell to my hands and knees. Then the sumb1tch used his talons on my head, causing several abrasions, and one deep laceration and hematoma.

Using muscle memory attained 50 years ago during seemingly endless football agility drills, I scrambled to my feet, and got in the first of several well aimed kicks. We circled each other like two cocks in the ring. I swear that his eyes were bloodshot with hate. I know that mine were.

My lovely bride, becoming aware of some commotion in the yard, came to the door, saw what was happening, and started laughing. I’m engaged in mortal combat, and she’s laughing? What is wrong with this picture. Finally, she sees blood running down my face, and covering my shirt, and some semblance of concern taints her voice. “Steven, you’re bleeding, get your ass in here, leave that damn chicken alone for now.”. She has such a wonderful way of showing how much she loves me.

She takes me into the bathroom, which doubles as Mom’s Surgery in everybody’s home, and proceeds to tend my wounds. By this time, the fight or flight syndrome has worn off, and so has the adrenaline, and I’m starting to hurt. Those talons are wicked, and getting sacked by a rooster (don’t even) in full flight ain’t no fun. She is draining the hematoma, encouraging bleeding to clean the wound, asks me if I think I need to go to the doctor. “Huh?” says I, being in full command of my faculties. “Do you think you need to go to the doctor?” Oh, great. My doc is a former Flight Surgeon. Those guys are about as bent as Navy Corpsmen. "Yeah, that cut needs to be flushed out, I need to go see him, who knows what that rooster has been walking in. Rats. That’s not what I really said, that’s all Bob will allow me to say.

So, we get to the doc’s office, he asks what happened, “I went one on one with a rooster.” After he picks himself off the floor from laughing so hard, he asks if its OK if his PA Student does an evaluation. Sure, no problem. In walks a guy with an unmistakable swagger. "Hi, I’m _______, a PA Student, I used to be a Navy Corpsman, two tours in Afghanistan. It turns out that we are veterans of the same Battalions, fourty years apart, but that counts for naught, once lies begin to be swapped. Lovely bride’s eyes roll back into her head.

So, I end up with one suture, a tetanus shot, and a black eye. In true Navy Medicine tradition, as I’m walking out of the clinic, the PA Student, former Navy Corpsman tells me to keep hydrated, take two Motrin, don’t forget to change my socks, and wear an overcoat. “Thanks, Doc.”

I still have to do that track maintenance.

Steve,

I enjoyed the humor of your tale but having been on the receiving end of more than one attack from demon possessed poultry I offer my full sympathy and understanding of your plight. Hopefully your physical wounds will heal swiftly but please don’t ignore the possibility of the development of PPASD (post poultry attack stress disorder) and see your health care professional if you should develop any unusual symptoms. Symptoms could include things such as cold sweats and trembling while passing a Colonel Sanders Franchise or maybe unexplained blackouts near a Popeye’s, and don’t even think about trying to collect the eggs from the hen house.

My sympathies to a fellow, feathered fiend fighter.

Rick

Sounds like a good night for fried chicken or in your case fried Rooster. You do know all you had to do was show him a double rainbow…

Steve, you do know that cock fighting is illegal? But, between you and me, my money is on you.

hmmm, i would suggest, to give the rooster an injection as well.

very effective and satisfying would be a lead injection, .357, expansive… if you like chicken soup, that is…

When we were kids one of these buggers had a cousin of mine pinned to the farmyard ground and was tanding on his back pecking away at it until the farmers wife hit it with a yard broom…

Our rooster was your buddy as long as you weren’t wearing sandals. He’d buddy up to you if you were in tennis shoes, chore boots or even bare feet, but if you had sandals on, you’d come out bleeding.

Aw man. Heal well.

That is SOME story, Steve… Heal well in all areas… (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Once he starts swapping stories…

Hehe…they already wrote a song about this! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbP8wMWsdho

Here in the N.W. Its starting to cool and with football Sunday Chicken soup sure goes well.

Dave

Steve has “Hematoma”

Ha Ha, I saw the wound, Bet the rooster is strutting in the hen house

On the one hand I enjoyed the humorous aspects of the tale, and on the other I offer my sympathy and best wishes for a speedy recovery. We had chickens when I was growing up, including one small banty rooster that I suspect had been used in illegal cock fighting before it came to us. So, I’ve had my share of poultry-inflicted wounds, though nothing quite so severe as to require stitches.

Speaking of roosters, whatever became of the “roaming rooster” that was going from layout to layout?

Ray Dunakin said:

Speaking of roosters, whatever became of the “roaming rooster” that was going from layout to layout?

I thought that’s what attacked him :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Ray Dunakin said:

aparently somebody sent it to Kentucky by accident…

Korm Kormsen said:

Ray Dunakin said:

aparently somebody sent it to Kentucky by accident…