Large Scale Central

Dead Rooster Gulch

In order to tell the story correctly, we need to step back in time… ~~~~~ wavy lines ~~~~~ Back during the silver rush, an old prospector was working a claim in the area, and he was having a pretty good go. Whenever anyone asked how he kept coming up with the silver, when other mines in the area worked then dried up, he claimed it was because of his lucky rooster, Russel. One day, the prospector woke up, and Russel was dead. Sadly, he went to the mine, but found no silver that day. He was so mad (and so superstitious) that he threw Russel’s body down into the gulch below the mine, and left the area, never to be heard from again. Years later when the railroad crews came through, they found the dried and mummified body of the rooster, and named the area Dead Rooster Gulch. ~~~~~ more wavy lines ~~~~~ In the current day, the town fathers decided to spruce the area up a bit, and comissioned Chandler Foundry to make a large bronze monument to the town, and, of course to the rooster for which the town is named. The J&B Railroad delivered the monument on Friday, and Saturday there was a small dedication ceremony, attended by various dignitaries of the town.

Bob,

this sounds like a story that will have several installments. :slight_smile: :smiley: :wink:

Wow! I’ve heard of that place, but never saw a picture. Thanks for sharing.

(http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m965bxQpxx1qznj5do1_500.jpg)

Maybe some of you could find a use for this pic, hang it around the layout, just thought is was too good not to share :wink:

Was listening to Van Morrison on the way home from MA. One of the songs on the CD is How do you look “Dead or Alive” :slight_smile:

LMAO Bob. That is great. This could have been your dedication song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcbdSpjOiyg

I especially like the carrot tied to the whip, there’s a whole installment just in that detail!

BTW what gives? there’s no … :slight_smile: … reply from Rooster, yet? Is he under the weather? :confused: :stuck_out_tongue: :lol:

I’m sure glad you posted, Bob. My camera had died and I only had the one picture.

Please note the Rooster look alike (the one with the bunny on his head). Since David couldn’t be there we were forced to have a stand in; luckily, the resemblance is uncanny. :wink: It was a fun project! :smiley:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
I especially like the carrot tied to the whip, there's a whole installment just in that detail!

BTW what gives? there’s no … :slight_smile: … reply from Rooster, yet? Is he under the weather? :confused: :stuck_out_tongue: :lol:

Well, HJ, consider the name on the monument …
We’d print the list of suspects, but it’d take up too much bandwidth

LOL! Good to see the townfolk all together for the ceremonies. Looks like Chandler Foundries did a wonderful job on the monument, though they must have used a pic from the undertaker after he was prepped for viewing. As the pics i’ve seen of the rooster in his final days showed him to be wasted away to almost nothing, and with very few feathers left.
Great job gents.:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Bruce Chandler said:
I’m sure glad you posted, Bob. My camera had died and I only had the one picture.

Not to worry, Bruce, we had you covered…:wink:

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/TrainOps%202012/Trainops2012014.jpg)

:smiley:
Ralph

LMFAO…You guys are the best!
Right up my alley …now that is funny and a great story as well!!!
I love the dignitaries !!!
:slight_smile:

Editing to say I think that beats Bruce signing my ass (which was all Jon Radders idea anyway) …Huuummm now I need something new!
BTW …nice work Bruce

AND it’s a good way to use one of those grossly oversized Papo roosters. :wink:

Great story and photos.

Best,
David Meashey