Large Scale Central

D&RGW 6500 series fishbelly flat car in Fn3

Any updates?

Any updates?

I was wondering as well. I am lucky. I managed to snag a very gently used Warrior Run 6500 series flat. It now resides in a consist of a Bachmann C-19, a couple of tank cars , the flat and a Bachmann long caboose. It gives a real sense of just how much longer and heavier looking these cars were compared to regular narrow gauge equipment.

Yes I do have some good news and thanks for the interest!

A couple of days back I touched based with the person doing the castings and good news. The custom white metal castings have been done and only waiting on the custom brass details to be completed. In the coming week or two I should have enough items to complete the pre-production model to show and start accepting orders.

Thanks for you patience and I’ll share pictures of the castings as soon as they arrive from the foundry.

Alan

A batch of castings are on their way to me now and I’ll share some pictures as soon as I have them.

Thanks

Alan

A nice heavy box arrived full of custom brass and white metal castings made from my masters today. Now its time to put them onto the laser cut body to see how this will finally look. its quite exciting!

Alan

Great looking castings!

I started adding the casting to the laser cut assembly, some progress photos below. A few have asked how much the kit will cost, at this stage it will be in the mid and high $2XX US dollars.

How much in AUD?

Apologies Iain, been tied up with work. In Aussie dollars it will be in the mid and high $3XX.

Thanks

Alan

The reason I'm building one of the updated laser cuts is to make sure I've removed all stuff ups before I take money for the kit. For example, you'll note the white circle next to the coupler. This is filling the hole for the air hose which was much to close to the coupler. One of the many compromises when compressing a prototype.

The grabs are custom brass castings and the hose is from Ozark. Break cylinder is a custom white metal casting. Note the custom castings will come with the kit.

I have finished the flat car build minus some little details, such as break shoes (somehow, I forgot to attach them before the photo) and a bit of break detail chain. Overall, I’m pleased with the outcome.

Now that it all goes together I can start to take orders for the kit. More info to follow.

WOW … that is a grand looking flat car

I have received some great messages of support an interest in the work I have been doing, thank you! I’m now ready to sell the parts I have designed so you can use them to make your own flat car.

For my model I have used commercial parts where available and for this reason I’m not offering a full kit. The parts I’ve designed which I offer for sale are castings and laser cut components not available off the shelf. When you place an order with me you will receive two boxes, a box originating from the USA containing the laser cuttings and a box from Australia which has the custom brass and white metal castings. I’d like to offer everything in one box, but the cost of shipping the components back and forth would add a huge cost which I would need to pass on.

The cost of the components designed by me is $363 Australian dollars + postage which includes:

Parts to be posted from the USA to you:

o Laser cut styrene

o Laser cut plywood deck

Parts to be posted from Australia to you:

o White metal castings:

• Bettendorf truck (reamed to accept bearings)
  • KC brake cylinder
  • Stake pockets
  • Cut level mounts

o Brass castings:

• Side shunters steps
  • Grab irons
  • Lower break bracket

As mentioned above these parts are not enough to complete your model and you will need to purchase additional parts. I have a detailed list I can share if you’re interested.

If you like to purchase the parts or ask me any questions, please feel free to send me a message via large scale central or ask in this thread.

Thanks

Alan

Less than 2 weeks from date I placed my order with Alan for this D&RGW 6500 series Flat Car kit and my castings arrived yesterday from Australia to me here in North Carolina…Interestingly enough, the laser parts (frame and deck) also arrived same day…so great service all around!

I ordered in the various bits from other vendors at the same time I placed my order with Alan…all of those items have been arriving over the past week…so now all parts needed to start construction of my Flat Car are in hand and project is only awaiting its turn on my workbench once I complete the steam engine currently occupying that space.

Giving the parts a once over I’ll say that I am most impressed with the detail and finish of the castings that Alan has provided…crisp castings and minimal flash means cleanup will be quick and easy for these. The laser cuts are likewise of high quality.

I’ll provide further reports as I get into the building…

Best Regards,

Cliff Ward

Cary, North Carollina

I finally got around to finishing of my first flat car over the weekend and I’m really impressed on how it turned out. I hope you enjoy the picture.

I do still have items available if you would like to build you own, details are a few posts above.

I really like how the trucks snuggle up under the car just like they are supposed to.

Nice job.

Hi Alan!

Finally getting around to sorting through the “kit” parts in preparation to start construction…the more I work with these parts the more impressed I am with the quality of the kit…thanks for taking the extra effort to make these available as kits, I know it would have been much easier just to make up one set for yourself.

BTW, I’d be curious to know how many sets of these you have sold since the offering became available earlier this year. How many sets have you sold?..hopefully enough to have made the effort worth your while…

I know some are scared off by the higher cost, but quality does come at a price.

Thanks again for the kit…it will be a showpiece of my D&RGW roster…

Best Regards,

Cliff

Thanks Cliff for the kind words, I’m glad your like the kit. Of course if you need any assistance please drop me a mail.

Unfortunately they have not been walking out the door and I have been considering advertising within publications to help. I’ve just not had the time to get suitable pictures or driven the process.

thanks

Alan

Staying at home has allowed time to sort out my hobby workbench and get some projects pulled off the back burner…first up is building my 6500 series flatcar from Alan.

Would be interested in hearing from others who purchased this kit…have you started and if so what is progress.

Let’s hear it…who also has this kit?