Large Scale Central

CVSRy considering expansion on raised benchwork

Ken Brunt said:

Daktah John said:

I don’t plan on building nearly as fast as you did once you decided to go. I’m thinking that I might get the switch cut in and one bench section built in the spring. Then I will have a better idea of cost and time required to build further.

I didn’t plan on getting that much done myself, but once I got started things just fell into place. And the nice weather helped. I just looked at it as a challenge. I also put a limit on how much I would spend each month on material which helped the budget. And reused a lot from the old layout.

It was the pink hat. Dont worry Jon Ill get the hat to you before Spring.

Coming to this project way late and reading through it I love the evolution of it. Couple of thoughts (more of affirmations) I am glad you decided to start the extension at a lower elevation farther back. The grade separation between the main and the extension will add visual interest. You get to keep the photograph rock which is nice. you keeping grade where you need it and I like coming out to the tree better than the perimeter especially if that is a relatively unused space. Makes it feel purposeful and not an afterthought.

Just my .02. Where is the MIK build going?

Cool, I like it John, If that is the view from your living room I couldn’t think of a better place to put new rails. You’ll get so much enjoyment just staring out at it. I can see those The Inglenookieness that Ric is referring too as well. Not sure how the grading would work out but I even see a phase 3 in a decade where you could bring a high line off the upper end of the grade and have a spectacular bridge that crosse over the new area that parallels the current track. It could then start down grade and perhaps run up along side the loop around the tree dropping the whole way to finally tie in up after the switch for the reverse loop. Might get steep though. Now I have more to look forward to in spring than just warm weather.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

So how high will the bench work be?

Assuming benches are installed dead level, where it leaves the main at the switch template, bottom of ties are at 30 inches. Where the string reaches the tree, which would also be bottom of ties it is about 45 inches. The loop around the back side of the tree might get to 50", but it won’t be bench, just elevated roadbed. I could reduce this by 6 inches if I allow a 2% grade, but I want to maintain the ability to run rod driven live steam so grades will be kept to absolute minimum on this section

The switching area parallel to the existing main / walkway / stone wall will be around 20 inches high at the far end on the wall side and maybe 24 inches on the down-hill side. To me, that is just about perfect for switching ops.

Ric Golding said:

There certainly is some “Timesaver” quality to the plan, using a reverse loop instead of a run around. Accomplishes the same thing. Also see an “Inglenook” puzzle, by limiting switching distances. I like it.

Thanks. In one of my early plans I did have a run-around but dropped it since I don’t have enough switches in stock to build it. I had thought about blocking the reverse loop during ops, but using it as a run around for the back yard local sound like a better plan (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Devon Sinsley said:

Just my .02. Where is the MIK build going?

Up on the main next to Wall station, but I’ll need to do some Terra-forming to make room.

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

Cool, I like it John, If that is the view from your living room I couldn’t think of a better place to put new rails. You’ll get so much enjoyment just staring out at it. I can see those The Inglenookieness that Ric is referring too as well. Not sure how the grading would work out but I even see a phase 3 in a decade where you could bring a high line off the upper end of the grade and have a spectacular bridge that crosse over the new area that parallels the current track. It could then start down grade and perhaps run up along side the loop around the tree dropping the whole way to finally tie in up after the switch for the reverse loop. Might get steep though. Now I have more to look forward to in spring than just warm weather.

Thanks Randy. I agree about the view. Most of my current layout is visible from the kitchen windows and I spend a lot of time just looking out at the track.

I kind of like your idea for the future . The grade back down to the new level would be no worse than it is on the main now - about 4% and since there could be a longer run I could get that down even more.

Shawn Viggiano said:

Washed in scalding hot water before hand I hope! With a touch of Downy or Snuggle …Ivory Snow makes Jon break out in hives.

Jon you said -“I had thought about blocking the reverse loop during ops, but using it as a run around for the back yard local sound like a better plan.”

Lots of switch plans for local trains are that you always work trailing point turnouts. Work those trailing points going out on the turn and work the opposing point turnouts coming back when they are trailing point turnouts. In the track schematic you just ignore the reverse loop and consider it the continuation of the line. Kind of like approaching a station from the opposite direction and calling it two different locations. Don’t you do this in the basement?

David Russell said:

Shawn Viggiano said:

Washed in scalding hot water before hand I hope! With a touch of Downy or Snuggle …Ivory Snow makes Jon break out in hives.

Close - it’s Tide that I am allergic to (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

Ric Golding said:

Jon you said -“I had thought about blocking the reverse loop during ops, but using it as a run around for the back yard local sound like a better plan.”

Lots of switch plans for local trains are that you always work trailing point turnouts. Work those trailing points going out on the turn and work the opposing point turnouts coming back when they are trailing point turnouts. In the track schematic you just ignore the reverse loop and consider it the continuation of the line. Kind of like approaching a station from the opposite direction and calling it two different locations. Don’t you do this in the basement?

Yes. Kistler Yard and Tyrone Yard in the basement are physically parallel tracks that originate on either side of the reverse loop. For Ops, one is the origin the other the destination. It looks like a far away place on paper, but in reality the train travels the entire layout to get to the next track over! Also, since the only run-arounds I have are the wye at one end and the reverse loop at the other, I always work industries trailing point - the entire train turns around then works the industries. I’ll see if I can print out the orders for working the indoor industries - it includes orders like “proceed East to West Es-Cap-e` - Reverse and shove West to Willow Hill”

So if you came out of the basement go around the new reverse loop, go back inside around the inside reverse loop and then outside and up to the wye, make the turn, youa re half way through then back down to inside around the reverse loop then outside around the new reverse loop and back inside to complete the run. Whew!!!

That would work.

Daktah John said:

David Russell said:

Shawn Viggiano said:

Close - it’s Tide that I am allergic to (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

You need the hat now!

Get done with the women’s work then proceed on .

You can call Shawn directly and get an update on the hat …I will give you his phone # in Mike Tyson code…(Five Fo Five) Fee,fry,fro-Fro,Five,Fro,Free

(545) 354-4543

Edit cause: Jenny has my # 867-5309