Large Scale Central

Cute Unknown (to me) and Dead LGB loco

This cute little loco belongs to some dear friends. Last they used it it ran fine, but that was 10 or more years ago. When I put power to the wheels or to the sliders, nothing happens. No motion, no lights. I took the bottom plate off and found the contacts there. Putting power there has no effect. There’s a 5 wire connector to the tender. The wheels and gears seem to turn fine. One of the springy brushes was stuck in, now it is free.

There’s this 4 position switch inside the cab. Anybody know anything about it?

(For some reason, I’m completely incapable of typing LGB without getting the B and G reversed.)

How do you get inside this thing to the wires?

I have wanted one of those (running) for some time now…good luck

Tom,

Hope this helps.

Yes, 0 means noting on LGBs, no light, sound, smoke, motor and such. So 0 is for parking it on the track and not having it do anything.

Worth checking inside for a decoder… I expect to find a sound card in the tender.

Greg

If the decoder thing doesn’t materialize, pull the motor block off. Check to see that the connector cable is plugged into the top of the motor block. The rods coming up from the bottom of the motor block carry power to this cable. It could also be that the skates are not making contact with the metal strips inside the bottom of the motor block. These strips make a connection to the wheel brushes also. Check that out also.

Well, THAT might explain why she doesn’t go.

Unfortunately, all my 24v power supplies have bit the dust in the last few days. Ok, the newest of them is 14 years old. It’s been a rough month!

And now that I know how to work it, it runs very nicely.

Thanks!

The business of LGB switches reminds me of something that happened to me , and I still feel guilty about it .

A chap I knew slightly came round with an LGB Corpet Louvre tank engine . He had bought it , apparently , some time ago . He said it was completely dead . Nuffink . Just stood there , lifeless . So I asked if he had switched it on . “Course I bloody have” he said “anyway , I wanna get rid of it , how much would you give me for it ?” .

"Half the price you paid " I said , because it looked perfect and I would have been happy to repair it .

"Bugger off " he said “I’ll take it to Franks”(a local auction chappie)

Later , I received a call from Frank saying he had this loco , and would give me first refusal before it went to auction if I met the reserve price , which was about 4/5ths the new price .

“No thanks Frank , I’ll go to the auction” sez me .

Went to the auction , and was the sole bidder . It turned out there was no reserve , and when I started the bid at £80 , nobody else bid . I just couldn’t believe my luck because it was 1/7th the new price .

Got it home (in LGB box) unpacked , put it on track and switched it on and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it . Mint and boxed ? Good heavens yes .

I still feel slightly guilty .

I also made a deliberate mistake when typing this .

Well , I have to give someone the chance to criticise .

Mike

I’ve never been opposed to taking advantage of stupidity. Unfortunately, it’s hard to take advantage of it when it’s your own stupidity.

Mike if you offered him half of what he paid, and in his arrogance and shortsightedness he got even less. That’s his fault. If you had not purchased it, someone else probably would have.

Good to hear (read) Tom. :slight_smile:

Yup, Tom… Put the switch in the #3 position and see what happens… It should run…

Actually, I normally test without smoke, as LGB units don’t like being run dry.

Once it moved, then I’d put in some smoke fluid (after checking it to be empty) and then test the smoke unit.

I’m kind of a step by step guy, has served me well over the years.

Greg

Well , there’s a thing .

Nobody spotted my mistake ?

Not even the guru ?

The loco in question is a Courpet-Louvet , not as stated (by accident as it happens , but I thought I’d leave it and see if it was spotted) a Corpet Louvre .

I suppose I should have called it a Carpet Hoover . That might have jumped out of the page .

Mike

Mike, no one cares about your games.

You must be the reincarnation of Ralph Brades…

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Mike, no one cares about your games.

You must be the reincarnation of Ralph Brades…

Greg

Nah, R.B. looks much younger, at least he does in his avatar… but there’s no telling, is there?

Last Sunday we went to the St. Boniface Museum http://msbm.mb.ca/welcome/ after our self-guided tour I related my general impression to the person on duty. Who was laughing so hard he almost doubled over. Unfortunately I can’t relate the precise cause of his mirth. It wouldn’t be politically correct.

Mike, huh?

David , “huh” what ?

No unnerstan’

Mike

Yup, I don’t understand. But then I don’t follow LGB all that much

David Maynard said:

Yup, I don’t understand. But then I don’t follow LGB all that much

A few posts up there are excerpts from the LGB manual, in plain English. The engine has a decoder interface and a smoke generator. Almost all the LGB manuals are still available on the Internet.