Large Scale Central

Cute Unknown (to me) and Dead LGB loco

Louvet, Louver, Tomato, Tomatoe… Same thing

Tom I came upon the same locomotive (ATSF version) set at a thrift store. I converted mine into an 0-4-0 by removing the pilot wheels and shortening the pilot deck. It changes the character from toytrain to a decent switcher. Don’t know how important prototypes are for you but thought I would just toss in the suggestion.

It’s not my loco. I’m just fixing the guy’s railroad up for him.

Hans, I was commenting on the model name. I didn’t catch that it was incorrect, because I don’t follow LGB. I have a few LGB locomotives, and they are really good locomotives, but I don’t know all the types of locomotives LGB made.

David,

Calling a Courpet-Louvet a Corpet Louvre is a little like calling a Beyer-Garratt a Bayer-Carrot. i.e. of no interest at all, if the topic is a small LGB engine out of a starter set with a four position slide switch, the functions of which were unknown.

Way back when I started using a dial-up modem and participating in user groups on CompuServe I quickly realized that proper spelling was of little importance to some people. And it went downhill when the WorldWideWeb took over.

As a former Newsletter editor and submissions editor for the Swiss Review I don’t get excited about how well others spell (or write), I just get a good laugh instead.

Or even a bit like saying Hans has a sense of humour .

Mike

I have had a few dead LGB engines where the MTS decoder’s driving transistors were blown, engine would sometimes power up and make idle sounds, but not move and have no lights, or it would be totaly dead. Removing the decoder and restoring to analog only control would restore all sounds and motor function. Those are some of the Chinese built (for LGB) engines and not quite as robust as the Stainz and its brothers that share its drive block. BTW, LGB smoke units, which are made by Seuthe, will do just fine running empty, doesnt matter if they are 5vt or 18vt versions. I unhook mine as I dont use them and it pulls more power from my small transformers. A non sound mogul will run on the 1amp starter set transformer if the smoke is unhooked. With smoke, the transformer will be hot enough to fry an egg in about an hour or less. If you have further questions on fixing your LGB engine, feel free to send me a pvt message. If I cannot answer it, my friend Ross from Zionsville Train Depot (the old Watts Train Shop) will know the answer. Miketheaspie