Large Scale Central

Curves -- Banked or not?

Say, I have been reading about curves and “superelevation”, or banking as I would have called it back in the day.

Do you folks do that? Seems to be a good idea, if a little bit more work.

And, of course, there is the issue of “how much”? One source says as much as 6 inches in prototype (which would translate to 6/22.5 or about 1/4 inch).

I suppose that this would be a better solution than adding an accelerometer to the train…

Michael;

There has been quite a debate about superelevation/banking on another site. Some folks were swearing by superelevation/banking; others were swearing at it. The information I took away from that debate was that in our relatively small scales, there is really no physical or operational advantage to superelevation/banking (at least if you run your trains under 150 scale mph!). Some folks just like the appearance of banked curves - or just “knowing it’s there.”

In the real world, I seem to remember reading that dispatchers had to avoid stopping any freight trains on that heavily-superelevated (6 inch) curved track. It was usually only used for high speed passenger traffic, but occasionally rerouting around track maintenance or derailments could bring freights onto that track. Stopped freight cars could actually fall off the track on such extreme superelevation. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hope this helps,
David Meashey

I agree with the comments that Dave makes that in our scale most folks seem to suspect there is little advantage or need.

I run freight trains, in the main, which are at slow speeds and a cant on an outer rail of a curve does not look good. Maybe if I get an HST I will have to address this but I doubt if that will ever happen here. :slight_smile:

Sometimes there’s too much of a good thing, even in the real world … on a model, someone would say to you, “Hey, you gonna fix that?”

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=41833

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=71629

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=74586

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=190576

Superelevation on our model railroads is especially bad with truck mounted couplers. You can actually stringline your cars (pull the cars off the tracks on the inside of the curve). This is usually considered to be a bad thing.

Well! That seems pretty clear and unanimous! Flat track is good.

Michael Moradzadeh said:
Well! That seems pretty clear and unanimous! Flat track is good.
Odd man out .... I think it looks really good when done right. Most likely that is just because I have looked at so many prototype curves (and filmed the trains coming through) that flat would fall flat. ;) :) BTW doing the super-elevation on ladder track using an accurate level is really a piece of cake.
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
BTW doing the super-elevation on ladder track using an accurate level is really a piece of cake.
Do you use a spacer under your level, or just set it high on the outside by lets say a half bubble?

Jon,

I have one of those digital levels which does inch/ft; degrees; percentage or the bubble guessing. Very nice to get the grades to what is planned, too. :slight_smile:

Not sure what advantage this brings to model trains except to say “I did it”, then again that’s what a lot of what we do is for.

From a practical standpoint it seems pointless unless you’re modeling a TUV. I have to say in all the years I’ve been in model trains this is the first I’ve heard of it. I personally know of no one who has done it or even contemplating it. I can run my big and heavy stuff full tilt on 8’ curves with no issue…Though I kind of cringe wondering if they’ll fly off so I don’t do it often!!!

Mark

It all depends where you hang out. :slight_smile:
Super elevations, easements (transition curves), wheels with scale (or closer to it) flanges and a few other things are more or less common in the smaller scales. Two reasons: they look good (prototypical) and improve operations (running characteristics) through curves.

BTW I know of at least one mfg who produces N-Scale snap track with super elevated curves.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Jon,

I have one of those digital levels which does inch/ft; degrees; percentage or the bubble guessing. Very nice to get the grades to what is planned, too. :slight_smile:

Thanks. I’m old school. I use a 4 foot level and a step-block for grades and a small level for side-to-side. My highest tech leveling device, a laser level, is about as accurate over long distances as my eyeballs.

Do you use a spacer under your level, or just set it high on the outside by lets say a half bubble?

Jon are you saying Hans may be a half a bubble off? :lol:

Randy McDonald said:

Jon are you saying Hans may be a half a bubble off? D)

At least :slight_smile:

Most of my curves are super-elevated, too, just because I like the way they look, but then, I run body mount couplers, too.

All of my curves are 10 ft radius (20 ft diameter) of greater, so stringlining is less of a problem. I have to be careful not to super-elevate the curve the wrong way. That can happen if you are not careful, especially when you float your track in ballast.

“I have to be careful not to superelevate the curve the wrong way”
Steve maybe you should get together with HJ, your bubbles seem to be half off in opposite directions. Get together and you two might be ‘right on’. :lol:

I have a little super elevation on my curves as well…about 1/16" difference inside to outside

Jon Radder said:
Randy McDonald said:

Jon are you saying Hans may be a half a bubble off? D)

At least :slight_smile:

Since I don’t do things by half measures I couldn’t be half a bubble off :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: OTOH I’m not yet at the stage where I have to tilt my head to have the brains run into one corner (oh no, that would be too German, can’t have that) to aid the thinking. So there :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :lol:! Hehehe …

Randy McDonald said:
"I have to be careful not to superelevate the curve the wrong way" Steve maybe you should get together with HJ, your bubbles seem to be half off in opposite directions. Get together and you two might be 'right on'. :lol:
Ohhhhhhhh noooooo! I love my slightly unbalanced state too much! :) :D :lol:
David Russell said:
I have a little super elevation on my curves as well.....about 1/16" difference inside to outside
I also have a little "super elevation" in my curves. Not measured. I just tinkered with the curves until my Bachmann 10 wheelers would make it through without the pilot truck derailing ;) Ralph