Large Scale Central

Curves -- Banked or not?

I float my track and since I run slow freights I just leave the track level. Every year I relevel my track and find at least one curve that tips outward.

Randy McDonald said:
"I have to be careful not to superelevate the curve the wrong way" Steve maybe you should get together with HJ, your bubbles seem to be half off in opposite directions. Get together and you two might be 'right on'. :lol:
Well, since HJ tends to lean to the left, and I tend to lean to the right, that might work... :P But I doubt it. :lol:

I’ll answer with a firm, “It depends”… A bit of superelevation actually can make a dramatic difference, especially on a downward grade. Try it dead level first, if you have a problem with stuff derailing on that curve, to the outside, then raise the outer rail about 1/16"… then try again at 1/8" if the problem gets better but still isn’t entirely eliminated.

Mik said:
I'll answer with a firm, "It depends".... A bit of superelevation actually can make a dramatic difference, especially on a downward grade. Try it dead level first, if you have a problem with stuff derailing on that curve, to the outside, then raise the outer rail about 1/16"... then try again at 1/8" if the problem gets better but still isn't entirely eliminated.
You might wanna check gauge, too. ask me how I know this. :P

Yeah, I had a couple super elevated curves, and they “looked good” until some of my bigger heavier locos tipped over because their center of gravity was too high. I concluded after that experience and the kibbitzing of sidewalk supervisors that super elevation is not necessary at all for fast freights or highballing passenger trains, either.

I tried it too. At the point where the curves “look good” visually, cars have a tendency to tip over. When reduced to an acceptable pitch, the curve isn’t that noticeable and I doubt makes much difference. Gave up on the idea.

Art Sylvester said:
Yeah, I had a couple super elevated curves, and they "looked good" until some of my bigger heavier locos tipped over because their center of gravity was too high.
You weren't supposed to high bank it like Indy raceway :P 1/16" is usually adequate. We only use 3/8"-1/2" max on the 15" gauge!

Well if you’re looking for scale appearance, the “real” railroads are limited to 3" maximum elevation in an unbalanced scenario (speed is not matched to the track)…So in 1/29 that would be a not-so-super elevation of .103".

I do think if you had a dedicated high-speed passenger line with scale concrete ties it could look pretty neat.

I have the track banking data from the proto I model and adjusted the ladder road bed accordingly, complete with lead in and lead out ramping. Looks pretty good to my eye.

And how does the proto look?

http://bahnbilder.warumdenn.net/10060.htm

Slight curve on the Albula Line