Large Scale Central

Cribbing

When I first got interested in Large Scale and Large Scale Central I found the late Tiny Pearce. His railroad on the desert in northwest Nevada was on the other end of the Mojave Desert from mine. Since our climates were very much alike he was a big help in getting me started, He was a master cribbing builder on the Desert Springs and Rattle Gap railroad. His railroad can be found at http://www.trainweb.org/dsrg/dsrg.htm

His techniques in building cribbing has been a big help to me. If you have a layout that isn’t flat it is something that can really be helpful.

I started on a small stretch of cribbing today. Here’s where it needs to go.

The tracks run right next to a dry wash and the weight of the Shay is shifting the ballast. It’s time to go to work!

Doug, the link is broken. And there is no photo of your place.

Did it show up? It wouldn’t let me load it and I had to use edit to get it. It shows up on mine.

We’ll be over to see it on your monitor then, LOL.

Picture and link both work fine here. Upon further exploration the nvtiny link isn’t working. Which is understandable. He probably had to pay a fee each year for that one.

There are a few articles he has done on here.

Tiny was a real asset on here.

" the weight of the Shay is shifting the ballast."

That’s the problem with gravel, it’s eager to move.

Broken and/or Crushed rock will lock together and form a more solid base.

The Cribbing will look great, I have lots on my pike.

As always … more pics!

John

What I’m going to add on top of the pea gravel is No. 5 gravel that is smaller and will help a little. We’re just in the wrong area for rough gravels. Guess I shouldn’t have raised the track!

Here’s a picture of the cribbing. I hope to install it today and it will look a lot better in place

Forgot the picture!

If you live in a dry climate you can use wood, stain it well before putting in the ground. Here in the “wet climate” Plastic would be much better as wood will rot in a couple of years, as I have noted on on of the local garden rr’s.

Paul

Doug?? How are you going to attach it to the ground???

I was hoping someone would notice! Since it is so short I really didn’t worry about it but I have attached 8-inch pieces that will extend under the tracks and let the support be there. There is a lot of rock under it and I wasn’t sure I could attach it at the bottom. But I knew I could go under the tracks.

Doug, here’s how I built mine. It’s stair stepped with “deadmen” between each step that extend under the track. The “deadmen” extend about 4" into the gravel.

I like your style of cribbing. I have to do3-4 more lengths of the style I’m using and then I’ll try something like yours for the next group.

I am lucky that we have such a dry climate. This redwood has been outside for 30 years!

I installed the cribbing today but the light was bad and there is a threat of rain so I’ll have to wait for pictures.

Ken Brunt said:

Picture and link both work fine here. Upon further exploration the nvtiny link isn’t working. Which is understandable. He probably had to pay a fee each year for that one.

There are a few articles he has done on here.

Tiny was a real asset on here.

At one time Bob had a Fallen Flags archive retaining copies of websites of those that had passed. He probably still has the data although I think the links to it went away when the software here changed.

And speaking of fallen flags, I archived Mik’s Ashpit website as soon as I heard of his passing. I have it tucked away on my computer as I didn’t want to publish it without permission.

The morning mine train passes across the newly installed cribbing on its return trip from the ore mill. The ore cars are from the 1912 Mik’s Challenge.

Great pic Doug: I like loco and the cribbing.

By the way I didn’t realize Mik’s Challenge had been going for so long! (http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a055.gif)

Looks great Doug. I also like the stepped version of Ken’s.

John, that’s great news about Mik’s Ashpit. I wondered if it had been lost for the ages. So sorry I never got to meet him.

You would have liked Mik. He was very helpful.

One of the nicest trucks on my layout is a 1935 Ford panel I bought from him many years ago.

If it wasn’t for him I probably would never have tried my hand at kit bashing!

Those High sides look right at home. Glad that the challenge projects get put to use…

I have built cribbing walls for my RR using plywood. I run a piece through my table saw cutting through only one ply then moving the fence one half inch and repeat. Once it is all “ribbed” I put 2 bracer pieces on the backside length wise then add the front vertical piles then give the whole thing a bath in wood stain. Some have faired better than others over the years and I have found that tall ones hold up better than short ones for some reason.
Just a thought.