Large Scale Central

Cribbing

That is amazing that the taller ones hold up better than the shorter ones!

I figure that redwood I’m using will outlive me.

I got the second section finished last night.

I like the “overgrown look” of that track!

I completed the second section of cribbing yesterday and plan to install it today.

I might even have time to build a third section of cribbing.

Looking good.

Doug Arnold said:

I like the “overgrown look” of that track!

That section of track has been abandoned that is why it is overgrown. It used to run up a steep grade through the mountain tunnel but when the RR acquired larger equipment a bypass track had to be put in ot avoid the tight curves and steep grades. A train hasn’t gone up the mountain in years.

The trouble with plywood is it warps and delaminates when it is allowed to stay wet. I tried making short walls 4" tall or so but they quickly warped. It might have been the location or the quality of the plywood. I think this type of retaining wall is an alternative to real cribbing.
Be sure to post some photos when your walls get installed Doug.

RBR>infrastructure>cribbing (as of Nov.22nd)

manufacturing materials;

scrap cedar ripped, ‘plastic’ bug screen, bicycle spokes, ocassional re-bar support, staples (just to hold the screening up till the backfill is in place).

The double-sided west portal (mainline) cribbing walls are the oldest at 14yrs. The others 6-9 … They’re fun to build !!

What about something that looks appropriate and should last nearly forever?

Ever used one of these? One could be cut down in height to make a bunch of cribbing that is undisturbed by moisture.

And there certainly is cribbing that looks similar to that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-in-W-x-22-in-L-Durite-108-Industrial-Mats-Straight-weave-/390795187842?pt=US_Door_Mats_and_Floor_Mats&hash=item5afd355682

Interesting mat, would you install it horizontally or vertically, after being cut in to strips. I can think of lots of uses.

We still use ours Todd. My wife might install me permanently on the layout if I cut up the mat!

Ric the “boards” should be horizontal.

Doug, so buy a new one. :wink:

The are also “pretreated” with “creosote.” :wink:

An engine black wash would do nicely. Maybe I’ll “treat” mine!

David Maynard said:

Ric the “boards” should be horizontal.

Doug, so buy a new one. :wink:

Yes, I agree. I meant should the mat as cribbing be stacked as it lays or standing up for strength and just as show. If you cut 6 inch strips and stacked them as the mat lays in the picture, it seems that it would really hold the rock/soil/ballast in place.

I would cut 6" (or whatever was necessary) “tall” strips with them turned vertically so you see the rock/soil through the openings. They could be anchored in various ways by pinning them back to the slope, at the bottom, (against a vertical slope), or at the ends by turning them 90 degrees and tucking them into the slope.

You can buy various size mats and could interlock the ends and make any length. And it can easily contour to the terrain around the curves, even very sharp ones. With some brown spray paint, they could look like wood covered with creosote.

Todd, you have a creative eye! Never thought about a floor mat.

I love cribbing and retaining walls.