Large Scale Central

Craig's MIK build

I wholeheartedly agree with Eric, Once something is moving on its own power it starts to get others interested in things. I may actually get them to help too!

My boys already like to run trains. They’ve only gotten to run back and forth on the completed sections before so they are just as impatient as I am to get trains running. My oldest keeps asking me when the tracks are going to be done and if my locomotives are charged up. The middle one has a favorite locomotive already ( the F unit).

1 Like

Judging by the track work it is clear to me which side of the depot Amtrak comes into. The super elevation is about right but maybe a hair off.

Amcrash comes in on the right…

That whole section of track hasn’t been placed yet. Just dumped on the layout as the sections got built. That’s the next project after the bridge.

Great build, Craig. The outside photos really bring the station to life. I love the addition of the fog. You’ll have to share that little trick with the rest of us one day :crazy_face:

Here’s how to get fog.

Move to the PNW where it rains 365 days a year. Wait until the air and water vapor reach the same temperature. Then pretend like it never rains and take pictures.

Wow, that’s a lot of trouble just to get fog in your photos :grin:. I think I’ll just stick with the sunshine :wink:

Again great build. I know we all joke with you about your attention to prototypical detail, but, at least for me, it’s an enviable trait.

Dan,
I can’t always say I was this way. Or given other situations I might model more freelance. For instance I’d like the idea of 7/8" stuff and the creativity in some of those builds is just as amazing. But for me it’s easier to just follow along with a prototype vs making something up in my head.

looks good. I love that it is boarded up. Not something many people would do.

The boarded up look and the color scheme of the depot really give it a time stamp if you recognize the NP color scheme. I’m itching to get it properly set on the layout, but I’m holding off as I’m trying to finish the bridge area first. My railroad took 1 step forward with the depot build and 3 steps backwards with the bridge project.

I think I have my first 3d printing project. I’m going to draw up and print the depot “REDMOND” sign, and the chimney sections. The sign for sure is a good resin printing project with raised lettering. I can tell you know that I don’t have the skills to cut that out of plastic!

Craig, The boarded up structure adds both depth and realism not often looked at. good choice and a fine structure. :sunglasses:

Thanks Dave. This depot was one of the reasons I ended up with a 1971 time frame. It would be pretty easy to move forward in time to the late 80’s by just removing it from the layout. I’m getting more and more research and pictures from the late 80’s -90’s that tempts me to switch eras.

Proves that I can actually finish a project after all. :joy:

So here’s what it’s looking like after a month or so on the layout.

1 Like

Borrow the wife’s iron and smooth out the roofing, trust me they don’t mind if you use it​:joy::rofl::rofl::joy:

Pete,
I’ve already got an iron in the garage. Used for waxing skis. And the funny thing is the only hair dryer we own is also in the garage for me when I paint. Wife got rid of hers a few years back because she never used it. :joy:

Well I have a feeling I’m going to be gluing down the anti skid tape sometime soon ( before summer ends). Every rain storm more and more tape comes up. I’m kinda disappointed in how fast it is coming up but I’m not sure what else could be used as shingles that would last longer. I think it it was bigger strips it might hold better.

Craig, great work, even with the tape issues.

I’m guessing though that the tape is shrinking at times, at least relative to its substrate. But then when it grows back to normal dimensions, the buckling force is greater than the adhesive bond. Just a theory.

I know it would be a total pita, but next time or as an experiment on a test piece, perhaps apply the tape in short sections, with small staggered gaps? It would look more shingly, which isn’t what’s intended I suppose; but it might spread out the shrinkage and expansion to a perhaps negligible overall level, while preserving the adhesive bond.

Cliff

Yes that’s a distinct possibility. I could really get particular and cut them into 3’ sections. I’ve got some other buildings that have this shingled roof so I’m going to have to find something to use as roofing.

This depot might be having permanent retirement sooner than later actually as I’m thinking about switching eras to when the depot was torn down.

Well this happened over the last 3 weeks while I was gone camping. I know for sure we had a week of 90+ temps here in W. Washington while I was gone (I was in E. Washington where it was 100-105 during that hot week).

I remember that look well from the same results on my station roof after it was outside for six months. I had even applied a coating of roof cement on the substructure as I applied the strips