Large Scale Central

Craig's MIK build

Pete,
I’ve already got an iron in the garage. Used for waxing skis. And the funny thing is the only hair dryer we own is also in the garage for me when I paint. Wife got rid of hers a few years back because she never used it. :joy:

Well I have a feeling I’m going to be gluing down the anti skid tape sometime soon ( before summer ends). Every rain storm more and more tape comes up. I’m kinda disappointed in how fast it is coming up but I’m not sure what else could be used as shingles that would last longer. I think it it was bigger strips it might hold better.

Craig, great work, even with the tape issues.

I’m guessing though that the tape is shrinking at times, at least relative to its substrate. But then when it grows back to normal dimensions, the buckling force is greater than the adhesive bond. Just a theory.

I know it would be a total pita, but next time or as an experiment on a test piece, perhaps apply the tape in short sections, with small staggered gaps? It would look more shingly, which isn’t what’s intended I suppose; but it might spread out the shrinkage and expansion to a perhaps negligible overall level, while preserving the adhesive bond.

Cliff

Yes that’s a distinct possibility. I could really get particular and cut them into 3’ sections. I’ve got some other buildings that have this shingled roof so I’m going to have to find something to use as roofing.

This depot might be having permanent retirement sooner than later actually as I’m thinking about switching eras to when the depot was torn down.

Well this happened over the last 3 weeks while I was gone camping. I know for sure we had a week of 90+ temps here in W. Washington while I was gone (I was in E. Washington where it was 100-105 during that hot week).

I remember that look well from the same results on my station roof after it was outside for six months. I had even applied a coating of roof cement on the substructure as I applied the strips

A few PNW modeler with 20 years of buildings outside suggested I try “Lexel Forever”. He said once they started using that, they stopped having problems with “glue” failures.

1 Like

I use Lexel clear paintable solvent caulk to adhere acrylic letters to aluminum sign panels that are outline cut so the acrylic pushes through. I’ve had one out there well over 5 years and no call back. Not sure what their Forever product is. I’ll check it out.

Pretty sure Mr. Richard Smith /Dickey who originated the “IDEA” still owes me a piece of Helen’s peach pie and some smoked salmon!
I also believe that his shingles were applied on a wood sheathing base and I also believe he laid down tar paper before applying the shingle method he created. In turn giving that method something to adhere to? However I’m probably all wrong cause I’m a :rooster:

I myself have been wondering about Lexel for years as a general sealant for around the house. Might have to get some and give it a try for modeling.