Large Scale Central

cool little depot

So I was just messin around looking at little depots for the town of Granite on the Sinsley Mountain Logging and Mining Co line. My only requirements for a depot are that it needs to be very small and be a combination freight and passenger depot. I also didn’t want anything too generic. I came across this little gem. Simple but has lots of little details. I like the 3X2 over the 3X3 windows.

http://tinyhouseblog.com/stick-built/hulah-atchison-topeka-and-santa-fe-railroad-depot/

Best part is they have good views of all sides.

Neat little depot, would be at home on your pike.

BTW: That isn’t a real Santa Fe depot. But it looks really good as a made up thing. My buddy who’s a retired SF officer, built a real depot from SF planes, it’s the real thing. Real size, it’s the smallest standard they had.

Dave,

here is another picture of it before being restored

I am not doubting you for a second but it would appear it is a real depot maybe not a real AT&SF depot, but it wouldn’t appear to be a whimsical building. Would it be possible that they could have made a random building?

Regardless of its authenticity it is cool.

Scrolling down revealed an ATSF historical site and the depot listed in Oklahoma …

Looks real to me…

I like the extended flag stop signal.

John

Your RIGHT… Real. I’ll have to quiz Andy about it. That looks to be really early in last century. Maybe They standardized there depots latter in there history, and his is the smallest from the “New Plans”, cause that isa lot smaller. I wonder if it was inherited from a absorbed line?

It is a cute little station. But did anybody notice the popped rail spike to the right of center?

Here is a link to a page about the little station.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM9B64_Hulah_Santa_Fe_Depot_Bartlesville_OK

Hey Devon, if you’re looking for a small really cool station I have the plans and photo’s of the Dalton Gardens train station that use to sit where city hall is now. The original depot was moved from 4th and Hanley Ave after the electric line closed in 1938. The mayor of Dalton moved the station down 4th and put it in his back yard. I noticed the station over 15 years ago and got permission to go in and measure it, then take pictures.

We tried for several years to move this little depot over to the fairgrounds so that we could restore it and use it for a museum, but between the building inspector and the county it never happened. When the house got sold to new owners, they tore the depot down so they could put in a garden. It was in pretty good condition. In fact the north side of the building still had the original yellow and brown paint on it. The only missing item was the front freight door, but the back one was still there.

I plan on making a model of it for my outside railroad. Someday.

There used to be (haven’t checked to see if it still is) Train Shed Cyclopedia which was small volumes with selected pages reprinted from trade publications running 1880s to at least the 1940s.

Volume No. 24 is Buildings and Structures of American Railroads, 1893 (part 4)

On what would have been original’s page 256, in the flag depot section, is a depot very much in the flavor of this one, but with a tiny extension to other side of bay window. Is from Kansas City and Emporia railroad. which is given as connected with the AT&SF railroad. There is an elevation and floor plan. Dimensions are included for each feature of the floor plan with overall given as 24ft by 42ft.

Pages 273 & 274 have a similar Northern Pacific depot with a people door where the one above and the station pictured have a freight door.

Pages 266 & 267 have an even tinier one, also in asymmetric configuration, on the Pottsville Branch of the Lehigh Valley. Includes front and end elevations, plus floor plan. Building is 21 by 13ft.

Page 296 has a mirror image of station floorplan in photograph in brick at Laury’s PA on the Lehigh Valley. is 34 x 25.

Meanwhile, back at the different architecture …

Page 268, figure 483, has a PRR flag depot of symmetric configuration at Wayne Station with a photograph which has to be seen to be believed. Described as “… with an ornamental frame exterior and roofed with slate. The foundations are stone walls.” Haven’t a clue what to call the architectural style. Carpenter Gothic meets Tudor half timbering meets Gothic cathedral meets Victorian excess, I dunno what else to say.

Playing just now on the web found a two story one where the upper story is within a few percentage points of being it,

http://tredyffrinhistory.org/?attachment_id=1178

David Maynard said:

It is a cute little station. But did anybody notice the popped rail spike to the right of center?

Good to see you are back on yer butt! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)Seeing the details again…

John

Forest thanks for all that. I will have to see if I can find that on Google books. I think I know the publication your talking about.

Chuck,

I would be interested in seeing what you have at least

Thanks Forrest,

I was able to pick up a copy of that book for $10 bucks shipped on Amazon. If nothing else it will be an enjoyable book and will give me lots of ideas when the time come

Dumb phone

That Stratford station would be an interesting build. I am not sure if that thing is cute or ugly. It’s interesting

Devon Sinsley said:
Forest thanks for all that. I will have to see if I can find that on Google books. I think I know the publication your talking about. Chuck, I would be interested in seeing what you have at least Thanks Forrest, I was able to pick up a copy of that book for $10 bucks shipped on Amazon. If nothing else it will be an enjoyable book and will give me lots of ideas when the time come

Welcome! I have that and No 19, (part 3) which has a lot of text covering efficient depot and freight house design plus efficient layouts for required trackage. Also has some about engine houses and platform sheds.

If it can be had is well worth having.

Mine is full of multicolor highlighting. :slight_smile:

Edit: now in to recall portion of grey matter is remembering seeing various books like this, https://books.google.com/books/about/Santa_Fe_Depots_of_the_Plains.html?id=fpr8SAAACAAJ

Plug Santa Fe depot book in to Google.

I may still have similar on the L&N. Buried in a box in the closet, most likely. Though born in Southern California in ATSF territory I was raised in Southeast, so that’s where my interest was.

Well I have no particular interest in the Santa Fe aspect. I am just interested in the little depot. So that cyclopedia will be good and for 10 bucks you can’t go wrong. those train sheds look very useful. I have eyed various ones for various reasons but this will be my first purchase.

So I have to admit ignorance. I did not know what a flag stop depot or station was. So I went on a search. But before I got too far I came across a free Google ebook called buildings and structures of American railroads. I just started looking at it but it has all sorts of buildings with elevation drawings and floor plans.

OK I am getting more interested in this little depots. Here is one I am sure many might be familiar with. Its in the book I referenced and it has been used by Disney. I don’t really care anything about making a replica of anything but this is the perfect type of little depot my indoor needs. Its missing a freight room but that could easily be added on the right. There is a floor plan as well but it really is just a one room station. Now that I know what a whistle stop or flag stop is it fits perfect for my little logging line. In my mind the station serves as a transition from XYZ mainline RR and my little short line. And this type of depot serves that purpose.

I am falling in love with these little oddities .

how small do you need you say?

Is there some strong or typical distinction in the definitions of depot vs station? Just curious.

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

Is there some strong or typical distinction in the definitions of depot vs station? Just curious.

Greg

Thats a good question