Large Scale Central

Collecting RR memorabilia

Lots of really cool RR collectables. 16.5% buyers premium och, around here they charge 10-12%. We bought a signal light from @JRad at the NELSTS in April, I will post a pic.

When I bought my train order hoop, the lady at the antique store said, “You’re too young to know what that is!” My reply was, “Well, I had to use one during the 1982 engineers’ strike.”

Regards, David Meashey
P.S. Should have the nameplates mounted on the Aragorn locomotive tomorrow. Still have one viable bottle of Floquil Engine Black left. Giving it time to dry well before mounting the plates.

It is up, I still have to pull wire to it, probably next day or so. Then I will post a link to a video of the lights working.

2 Likes

Really great to see that out in the sun instead of gathering dust in my garage! Nice job.

Dave,
Which railroad and what end of the hoop we’re you on (taking or giving orders)?

Glad you found one so soon, Mark. The exchange rate for the auction would clearly be in your favour right now $1.51 USD = $1AUD, but that signal definitely wouldn’t have fit in your checked aircraft luggage. :grin:

Bill;

The railroad had just become Norfolk Southern, and I was tasked as a conductor/brakeman, so I was receiving the train orders. My “normal” job was as a technical writer, but I also had plenty of experience on the Dry Gulch Railroad at Hershey Park and on the Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern tourist railroad in southeastern Pennsylvania.

Regards, David Meashey

RR Crossing sign with bell

Marie found a working bell on Market Place, UPS delivered it today, and its installed. Turn on the sound, first part is just the dogs barking but the bell does ring.

1 Like

That’s awesome!!! The bell really adds to it and sounds perfect.

Do you have a closeup picture of the clanger, it looks similar to one I have. What voltage is it running on?

I have it on a motion sensor, we are sitting in the living room reading and it goes off, the wife says can we turn it off at night :joy: . I had warned her about it going off at night, now I will have to put a switch on it. :man_facepalming: :joy:

I didn’t take any pictures of it before I put it up. Runs on 12V same as the lights, I bought a converter (AC to 12V DC) that fit in the cross arms for the lights.

Mark, you might consider putting it on a timer, just in case you forget one night.

Sonoff makes some very cheap combinations that can be operated off your phone. Exactly the same stuff on Amazon, but they sell direct if you’re not in a rush for shipping. They’re cheap enough from the factory that you can experiment.

I did not think of a remote switch. I will be looking into getting one. Some thing did set it off last night a couple of times. Thanks

Collecting RR memorabilia today is purchasing items that you personally like and enjoy having around to give you that feeling of railroading in real life. This is not a bad thing, as we all know life’s pleasures are needed for good health and giving us satisfaction of personal accomplishments. The biggest problem with collecting today is the younger people today in most cases are not into collecting, thus the value of collecting does not hold its value like it has in the past. I have pretty much sold all my collectable stuff over the past 10-15 years, glad I did, it would not bring today what it did them.

that makes it the ultimate anti-intruder device.
if you notice, that the intruders are mostly animals, it can help to install the motion detector upside down.
(i did that, when my rottweilers found out the game to switch on the porch lights. from then on, only beings of more than four foot hight activated the lights - horses and grown up humans)

Mark, has Marie thought about getting something to go with her railway crossing lights? Perhaps an accent piece?

You can read about this Melbourne home here… :point_right:The owner arranged the roof and the wall to look like it had smashed through its front living room.

IMG_9014

2 Likes

That is pretty cool but I don’t think she would go for it.

Well Mark you don’t know unless you ask ?

OK I was wrong she wanted to know if it was for sale :man_facepalming: She said “stop teasing me” :joy:

1 Like