Large Scale Central

CN Spadina coal tower, my way

The CN had a few neat designs for modern coaling facilities. One of them was poured concrete with brick inserts. The most photographed of them was in Spadina yard in Toronto.

Ive wanted to build a model of this for a while, but didnt need (or want) a six-tower, four track coaling facility. This past summer I ran across an article on Model Railroad Hobbyist about a single-tower version of it.

That’s more like it. Now, it’s a mainline-sized tower, and I needed it scaled for NG, so my build will be a “looks right” build, not an exact model by any means.

First I had to get the proportions correct for an NG tower. I mocked up the base with some 1" styrofoam, and some pipe (see the right in the picture). That gave me the right hight for the ‘feet’, and determined that I’d need a 10" diameter pipe for the coal bin.

1" PVC trim boards provided the material for the legs.

These were bevel cut on the edges, and assembled onto a 1/4" piece of PVC to create the rough legs.

(http://i.imgur.com/ksvlILYl.png)

Seams were puttied and sanded smooth.

Next, getting the proportions for the hoist house and coal bin. A bit of cardboard mockup work, and we get this.

About right. Now to cut everything out of 1/8 PVC. Here’s one side clamped together for a first fit.

Looks good. Now cut out the rest, and assemble.

That’s progress as of today. Now its a lot of filling and sanding on the hoist house, and then I can start assembling the major bits.

Looking good.

What are your plans for the roof? It’s not visible in any of those pictures…

Ill probably do a ridged copper roof like I have for the yard office.

Looking great!

Keep it coming!

A very interesting structure Bob. By the look of all your trackwork the coaling plant will be busy. Your yard office look very sharp by the way.

Impressive!

Very cool

That will be an impressive addition.

OK that’s where my stool went…it’s looking good

Very cool! Show us more………

-Kevin.

Awesome! Really cool, visually interesting prototype, and a great model.

you did all that and went to the show yesterday that is awesome

Richard

Sigh …like I need more bad ideas…its all Bob’s fault…

Some progress today. Sanded the seams and corners on the hoist building, and re-applied some filler to certain areas. Also cleaned up the top and bottom edges of the coal bin and glued it to the base.

Since it was only end-glued, I cut a bunch of supports for inside too.

I also intend on a fillet of epoxy along the bottom inside edge.

Bob, Nice build… should be a great addition to the railroad… Like your design…

The base does look like a stool or maybe a table for a N scale setup? Just kidding, your build is looking good. Those 6 little metal shacks in the photo are neat too did you scratch those as well?

Keep up the good work.

Where did you get the 10" pipe?

Thanks guys. Todd: Those are quick and dirty made from 4x4 PVC sleeve, a post cap, and some details. Just enough to look like an equipment bungalow without spending too much time.

Ray: I got the pipe at FlexPVC http://flexpvc.com/ They sell by the foot (or fraction there of) instead of having to buy a 10’ section all at once.