Large Scale Central

Cheap TRACK!

What advantage is there in using nylon track at the same cost as metal track? Train-Li has always been very proud of their stuff, haven’t they?

There is metal track at $2 a foot? Where?

I agree, if you can buy new metal track at $2 a foot, why buy plastic. That would indeed be questionable logic.

But do we have apples to apples here?

Regards, Greg

oh the 10 cents a foot was nick’s price with his discount and rail only. I believe someone used those numbers for calculations.

I’m so confused!

Are we talking Fujis or Gala for apples. I really like the Fujis.

Greg Elmassian said:
There is metal track at $2 a foot? Where?

I agree, if you can buy new metal track at $2 a foot, why buy plastic. That would indeed be questionable logic.

But do we have apples to apples here?

Regards, Greg

oh the 10 cents a foot was nick’s price with his discount and rail only. I believe someone used those numbers for calculations.

Greg,

I compared strictly the price of rail to rail. And the Train-Li plastic stuff is more expensive per foot than the Llagas Creek aluminium rail.

Ahh, now I get your drift…

In quantity, Train-Li is $250 for 500 foot of rail, or 50 cents a foot.

In quantity, Llagas Creek aluminum rail is $3.40 / 6 foot or 56.6 cents a foot (the code 215 is cheaper, but the plastic is 332)

So the aluminum rail is actually cheaper… wow!

Learn something every day.

Llagas 1:32 ties are box of 400 of 5" sections (167’) for $280, or $1.68 a foot.

Train - Li is a buck a foot.

Ahh… so the plot thickens… get Axel to make the tie strips work with the Llagas aluminum rail and you have the cheapest thing on the planet except for bachmann steel rail!

You guys are smart!

Regards, Greg

I can buy 12 feet of Aristo Craft Aluminum track for $29.89. Or $2.49 a foot.
So I could save 50 cents a foot using plastic. Probably not enough to make the switch, IMO.
Ralph

I don’t know about you, but the way I figure it, every foot of track requires two feet of rail. That’s where I came up with $1/Foot without the ties or $2/Foot with them.

Jon,

When you lay rail on storage racks in a yard, said rail has no inkling what track is all about. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: :smiley:

RLD has 6’ aluminum flex box of 12 for $166.89, so $2.32 a foot

Yeah, closer and closer. I guess I will use aluminum track for my display track.

I wouldn’t be too worried about the heat problem from loco’s but the lack of heat during winter.
Think? What happens when this stuff freezes? or is under a blanket of snow?
it seems to me that I learned in Physics class, things become brittle with cold!
Comments?
Dave

Martin Belokin is going to bring some to the Gateway Garden Railroad Club Winter Meet in Carlyle, Illinois on February 12-14, 2010. We’ll try to give you a report on its brittleness. May even set some up outside. 15 degrees at 0647 this beautiful morning in January here.