Large Scale Central

Cheap TRACK!

How about weathering the rails with paint to add UV protection? I think this might just work. I’m gonna get some and try it out. I run battery powered locomotives.

I’m thinking about a loop on my basement floor for this winter, just for grins. Keep us posted on how it does outside, be neat if this would work out well, be great for beginners and expanders, now if it was only code 250!

Alex said he might consider code 250, anyone want to chime in on that? I thought the rail could be all code 250 size, except for the base, that way it would fit in the same size tie, so that way a second tie mold would not be needed. A die for extruding the code 250 can’t be too bad to pay for.

Jerry Barnes said:
Alex said he might consider code 250, anyone want to chime in on that? I thought the rail could be all code 250 size, except for the base, that way it would fit in the same size tie, so that way a second tie mold would not be needed. A die for extruding the code 250 can't be too bad to pay for.
If Axel should go for the Code250 I'd be in. Rail storage locations along the line - there's a large one at Preda. Llagas NS or Al rail would be a bit of overkill for that.

Sidings and such would be a great use for this rail. I’d be in for some .250 rail to use there. I still plan to give it a try on the mainline, though. Wonder how this would take to being hand laid. I have more time than money. :lol:

Code 250 for me would be great as that is what I have slowly been stock piling in Nickel Silver when I find it within price range. That way could use the metal for where heavy wear maybe problem (grades, very sharp curves) and us the plastic everywhere else.

Any thoughts on building turnouts and crossovers with the plastic rail?

I think the point rails would flex too much to hold gauge, being unsupported laterally except at the throwbar and pivot points.

By the way, the errors in pricing have been corrected on the Train-Li site… it’s not 10 cents a foot, it’s $2 a foot for track whichever way you slice it.

Regards, Greg

Code 250 would be fantastic. I would need plenty for my railway in Thailand. Questions are still there: like can I connect this stuff with f. i. the turnouts of SwitchCrafters and how durable it is.

Greg Elmassian said:
I think the point rails would flex too much to hold gauge, being unsupported laterally except at the throwbar and pivot points.

By the way, the errors in pricing have been corrected on the Train-Li site… it’s not 10 cents a foot, it’s $2 a foot for track whichever way you slice it.

Regards, Greg

Well,
There goes that idea. At $2.50 a foot I can buy aluminum track. I know how it wears. I can power it.
And I can step on it.
Ralph

Yeah, looks like he goofed on figuring the prices, now they are not so good, oh well…

Yes, that “super deal” just passed the price of Code215 Al rail from Llagas, requires a bit of paint in either case to place it outside.

OTOH some of the Kraut crowd is hot to trot to use it for car loads i.e. delivery of mill lengths for ribbon rail construction. :wink: :slight_smile:

Fun on:
I can just see it: a row of flats with the 5ft sections of rail moving to a place where the snap track is taken up. A never ending construction site where more new rail arrives, but the snap track never seems to be lifted.
The modern version of digging ditches and then filling them back in.
Fun off!

Well I bought some any way to use as mentioned on the site as display track and also to use in my new covered storage area. Do not need to have power going clear to the end of 24 ft long tracks and I have 5 so I can gain some SS track to use else where. Later RJD

I was actually considering buying some to see how it works but with the price adjustment I’ll stick the aluminum rail I have and buy more of that if it need it. What a bummer, large scale’s major barrier just went back up.
Dave

Don’t worry Dave.
It won’t be long before a Chinese made copy is on the market to undercut the home made stuff. :wink:

Wow, I thought it was pricey at $50. $250/package you can really forget :o

Every time I read this thread’s topic my mind sees “Cheap Trick” and the song “Surrender” starts playing in my brain’s juke-box.

"Your mommy’s all right, your daddy’s all right, they just seem a little weird… "

Joe Satnik said:
Every time I read this thread's topic my mind sees "Cheap Trick" and the song "Surrender" starts playing in my brain's juke-box.

"Your mommy’s all right, your daddy’s all right, they just seem a little weird… "

Now I’m suffering the same fate.
It’s all your fault, Joe :smiley:
Ralph

So, someone REALLY believed it was 10 cents a foot?

I have some beachfront property in AZ, you only have to wait a million years.

Regards, Greg

p.s. not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings, but there’s a saying “when it’s too good to be true, then it’s probably not true”

Well it was true for one guy. HeHe. Later RJD

Greg Elmassian said:
So, someone REALLY believed it was 10 cents a foot?

I have some beachfront property in AZ, you only have to wait a million years.

Regards, Greg

p.s. not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings, but there’s a saying “when it’s too good to be true, then it’s probably not true”

Well it was .20/Foot by my calculations - but even at that price I couldn’t use 250 feet.