Large Scale Central

Camping Trailers (Moved from TrainOps 2024)

That is definitely becoming an issue. All these little supply items sure add up fast. I might have saved $300 by recovering the fan and cover from the old camper, but it cost me almost $100 in supplies and over $50 for the cheapie I filled the hole on the old camper with. Ive got the one I took off yesterday on Marketplace for $50 and have a $30 offer. I countered and hope we can settle on $40.

So far, selling off the original batteries and excess train supplies has fully funded the LiFePo4 battery bank that is yet to be fully installed.

With the exception of finishing the Rick Marty Special Stabilizer Supports, I think I’m done on the exterior. The Max Air cover went on today with only minor issues :slight_smile:

It sticks off the back quite a bit. I hope this doesn’t cause it to collect water when traveling in the rain…

Citing my shed thread as an example, I say keep it alive! :grinning:

Besides, it’s nice to have a place to post progress on (without resorting to Facebook :grin:).

Also, your trailer is related to our hobby, cuz it will allow you guys to keep attending ops meets, conventions, and EBT volunteer weekends!

I had them install a MaxFan when we bought this trailer and they didn’t include the rain hood, silly me I thought that was part of the fan assembly. NO, 50 bucks more from Amazon, but it was easy to install.
Just 4 latch pins inserted into the keepers that were built into the fan base.

I know what you are saying about the cost of the “extras” it adds up fast. We have probably put a grand into extras but I think that is about everything now.

Cliff, I was/am keeping it train related. I posted that picture of our camp site in Bandon, Oregon because Dick Smith drove up from Port Orford and had dinner with us one night and we talked well into the evening about trains, friendships, people we know and people we wish we didn’t. :smiley:

Cliff you are an IDEAS GUY

I totally agree. I didn’t think I’d get pulled into this thread, but I keep tuning in for every episode of Jon performing surgery.

Jon’s thread could, in fact, have its very own spin off thread called Pimp my (Cara)Van . Just think, we could all offer suggestions to Jon when he needs more ideas…

IMG_8933

Has anyone tried wrapping their caravan, yet? The possibilities are endless! :grin:

(Pros: Jon, you won’t have to hunt for someone to chat about trains at the caravan park, they’ll be knocking. Cons: ………… )

Bill, I think we’re on similar wavelengths re Jon, and I love your trajectory.

However, I’ve been vaguely sensing a different direction, ever since Jon said:

Putting 2 and 2 together, in an admittedly quite raw scenario, thus very open to improvement,

1. Continuing the dead-end in Fred’s Tomb (in Jon’s front yard), a multi-level helix commences, with the exit being at about 36" above the camper’s chassis (see #3).
  2. Hide the helix, at least from street view, with a fiberglass mountain. Call it Fred’s Mountain and make holes for mixed-use flowerpots.
  3. Modify the driveway as necessary.
  4. Make an opening on the camper at 36" above chassis height.
  5. Install a bump-out on that side.
  6. Build a railroad yard in the bump-out.
  7. As time progresses, gradually take the camper over for a shop.

Simple, right? And all the electricity and propane and water the trains will ever need.

[edit] On second thought Bill, your ideas of wrapping might be simpler.

1 Like

OK - I guess I need to read my own thread before posting. The vent progress was posted at lunch time. Dang. I’ll delete it from this one.

I nearly finished a set of Rick Marty Special Edition stabilizer jack blocks. My design is reversible - flip then over and get an extra 2". The rears, not pictured, are two courses higher…

I made much more sawdust than progress. The wood for the blocks was ripped down from some 6x6 Cedar post cut-offs salvaged from work years ago. I cut them down to full 2x2 squares.

@Hines Where did you find that ancient logo?

1 Like

What!? There’s a new logo!?

Highly recommended. Lots of good stuff here.

I forgot those pages. They haven’t been updated since 2008.

New logo is a lot cleaner and an accurate reproduction of the EBT’s acorn herald. Designed 14 years ago.

CVSRy-Black-Logo-2010-FINAL-170px

Is this being done in your neck of the woods?

No, I’ve not seen that. But then again, our camper travel range has been pretty local for the last four or five years.

Oops - Now I’ve done it…

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

1 Like

There actually was a nice square line to follow. My oscillating saw drifts a bit. I also wasn’t expecting the cabinet wall to be laminated thee layers thick…

Saved by the trim…

Escutcheon’s are all the rage these days!

Does this count as one…

Had a friend who was a chippie (carpenter) who had a T-shirt that said:

• MEASURE TWICE
  • CUT ONCE
  • POUND TO FIT

I’ve cussed more than once during the MIK though it was more Measure Twice cuss three times :grimacing:
IMG_8944

1 Like

Today, battery #2 arrived and I began the process of establishing baselines for the shunt/monitor. I’ve established full charge rest voltage. Now the reefer is running and every LED light in the place plus the fan is on. Converter is off, so it’s all on the battery. I don’t know what to expect, but since it’s really only the reefer and fan drawing any significant power, it will probably still be blazing in the morning.

Jon I was only refeering to the payments , add on are a different catagory. When I had the truck, (Peterbilt) I had a line item for accessories, (Chrome and Stainless) which added up faster than I expected!LOL

Nearly 16 hours later, the single 100Ah battery is still delivering power. I ended up shutting off all but the refrigerator and the exterior clearance lamps (I have a shorting plug for the pigtail). In a bit, I’ll go out and power up every 12V item I can find, except the pump. I need this battery dead!

1 Like