Large Scale Central

Camping Trailers (Moved from TrainOps 2024)

You should be able to parallel FLA and SLA, they’re the same chemistry and have the same charging profile. It’s not like you’re adding an AGM or LiFePo4 to the mix. As a rule of thumb, you want 2x the solar watts for the AH of your battery bank (i.e. 400w solar would charge 200AH of batteries in a reasonable time, given a decent solar controller) You would get a max of 30A per hour charging.

Also remember that you have less than half of the 200AH capacity if your batteries are FLA/SLA/AGM. That’s another reason to go to LiFePo4, you can drain them flat and not damage them.

We’ll talk at TrainOps… :slight_smile:

Thanks Bob - I was already planning to pick your brain this weekend.

I have no idea if it’s a good brand or not, but Li Time has a basic group 24 100Ah drop-in on sale for under $250. I could probably sell the new SLA for around $100, get more usable capacity and save a lot of weight.

For this weekend I’ll be on shore power except while traveling, so the single SLA will be fine.

We have two 400AH LiTime batteries, and have had zero issues with them. 800AH of lead acid batteries would weigh north of 550#, but these weigh 174#. LiFePo4 are definitely a game changer.

I have seen it so much they must not stress that in driving schools. I figured it out with long wheelbase trucks and short 28’ trailers, they are to far by the time you realize where it going, Dang it, pull up again😂

Arvy Too has arrived in Littleton. Good trip up.

I see you have your Hensley all hooked up on the new rig.
You need some blocks under those stabilizer jacks so you don’t have to crank them so far down and up :smiley:

That was something I was going to test at home but didn’t get to it I have a milk crate full of composite and real wood blocks for that. I left them home due to weight. We have a big issue with CCC on this rig. Advertised is 1400#, but this one is a late '23 build with only 400# CCC. We had to load light with most everything in the car and it was stuffed!

I have a call in to Surveyor. I will push for that axel upgrade as a warranty item. 440 less 30 gallons of water, 20# of propane and a lead acid battery leaves about 80# of net CCC. WTF!!!

I put the Hensly on at the dealership. I will never tow without it!

The jacks are easy to lower/raise with a power drill.

Jon,
Here is what we have done for the stabilizer jacks on the last 3 trailers.
Quick and easy to build and light, strong and easy to handle .

Didn’t get all 4 out for the photo op.

1 Like

Looks like a fun project. I have several Cedar 6x6 chunks about 2ft. long I was going to burn. Guess I’ll mill some up. I’m guessing but it looks like 3x3?

Just center ripped 2x4’s , sized so the jack pad sits fully on the 2 long sides. Only 7 and a half inches tall but helps a lot.

So Jon
What are the likes/dislikes after your journey .

Everything went really well. The only thing I’m really not in love with is the on-demand water heater. It’s located at the front while all the water use fixtures are in the back. It takes a few minutes and several gallons of water to get hot flowing. This isn’t an issue at a camp ground with full hook-ups, but very wasteful if not hooked up.

The AC works great, but is very noisy. We can’t hear the TV when it’s on! Might look into that WACO thing that’s advertised.

The outdoor speakers kinda suck, any bass at all distorts them. But we’ll probably never use them anyway.

I did find that the built-in stereo has all kinds of AV inputs and outputs on the back, so adding a BluRay player and getting the sound from it and the TV to the built-in speakers will be fairly easy.

I have begun my negotiations with Forrest River on the Cargo Capacity issue. The dealer really isn’t any help. The sales guy was shocked when I told him! The service guys say they can only fix what’s broken, so it would be up to Forrest River to make the determination. I have all hailing frequencies open to Forrest River!

Until we resolve the CCC issue, I’m not doing any personalization that requires drilling holes, etc. Just in case we need to take it back.

We love the layout and with the new high-end mattress we purchased a year ago, we slept better than home! I found that tear-down was much faster because of the built in black tank flush and being able to reach the dump handles from a standing position.

A must-have for built-in black flush is one of these in-line water meters. Without one, if you back-fill the tank with the flusher and the gate closed you risk over filling the tank and spilling it into the interior. Using the rinse alone does not clear all the TP left behind. A 25 gallon back fill and dump a couple of times gets it looking very clear.

1 Like

How did your tow vehicle like it?

Like a dream! We got 12MPG while towing and the temperature gauge never even budged. My previous (GMC Envoy) would get 6MPG at best while towing and would get quite hot on hills. Cruise control with the transmission in Sport mode did great most of the time. It would bleed off too much speed on hills before downshifting. So I did the shifting in hilly spots. Even on the largest hills we were able to maintain traffic speed. The tires are rated to 85Mph but I generally never tow above 65.

The Hensley Arrow makes the entire rig feel like one unit. When busses or 18 wheelers pass, the trailer doesn’t even wiggle. If there is a big bow wave, the trailer and tow vehicle get pushed over as one and is very easy to recover. Sway never (can’t) happens.

And we did much better backing at the campsite and into my driveway after a stop in the front yard to clean out the black tank…

Looking forward to the next trip.

1 Like

I THOUGHT YOU WERE CAMPING ???

We call it camping, but the site host at Lake Mac in Nebraska told us we were Glamping!

We spent very little time outside the trailer when we weren’t visiting folks. Too hot and way too many skeeters. We didn’t even have one campfire :frowning:

Jon,
I know what you mean about the truck and trailer moving as one unit with the Hensley.

We used a ProPride, same as a Hensley, when towing our 26 ft. Cougar with the GMC 1500 several years ago
West of Austin Nevada on highway 50, I think they call it that because you can see 50 miles in any direction :smiley:, as we were traveling along at about 60 mph we were watching a large Dust Devil
angling towards us across the desert. At the last minute it took a turn and slammed into us broadside.

The truck and trailer jumped sideways about 2 feet as one unit and we were well over the white line in the oncoming lane. Thank goodness there was no oncoming traffic, remember that it’s called the loneliest Highway in America for a reason.

All that to say the truck and trailer did not sway one inch, just jumped sideways and kept right on at 60 miles an hour until we stopped for a wardrobe change.

Cliff, never trusted those dust devils, Nevada or Arizona , I used to occasionally haul 8ft tall loads of Styrofoam for insulation and hated seeing them come at the freeway, one time I say the trailer go up off the ground when one hit, lucky I got thru it and kept on all 18 after that. Underwear and seat didn’t fare as well!:joy:

I made the decision to upgrade the house battery to LiFePo4 and ordered a 100Ah Group 24 size that will fit in the existing box. I also ordered a shunt and a monitor console. I was able to sell the 1 year old flooded battery from my old trailer and the new SLA battery via Facebook Marketplace to a single buyer in just 2 days. That plus $50 got me the Lithium upgrade :smiley:

If I can sell some other stuff, I want a second before our Western Adventure in September.

I’m still waiting on Forrest River/Surveyor to get back to me on the axle upgrade. The dealer told me yesterday that they shut down for 2 weeks at the beginning of July. Hopefully something next week.

1 Like

Good news on the Cargo Capacity. I got an email from a Warranty Rep. at Surveyor and they will swap out the 4400# axle for the 5200# one they changed to 300 production units after mine was made. I’ll call the dealer tomorrow so they can get the parts in.

An additional 800# of CCC is plenty for us. I like it even more now!