Large Scale Central

Calling all bridge inspectors

Rodney, Fred and all are doing their best to convince me to put proper ties on the bridge I am rehabilitating. This is a extremely low budget project, so if it can’t be made with materials on-hand it’s not getting done. What I have on hand is small pieces of PVC board. I did my due diligence and researched several prototype bridges. Most of the bridges I examined appeared to have the following specs: Bridge Ties: 8" x 8" - Length varies by gauge and inclusion of walkways Tie spacing: 3" to 6" Guard Timbers: 4" x 8" So how do standard PVC sizes compare? Falling back once again to 1:20.32 being the same as 15mm per foot (45mm track = 3 foot gauge), I come up with the following… 3mm PVC Board is about 2.5 scale inches thick (Actual 2.4") 6mm PVC Board is about 5 scale inches thick (Actual 4.8") 12mm PVC Board is about 9.5 scale inches thick (Actual 9.6") I think this are close enough to be usable… 9.5" x 9.5" x 8’ Bridge Ties - 5" x 9.5" Bridge Timbers in 8’ and 16’ lengths

I cut up a a whole bunch of the above shapes so I could lay out a test section and experiment with assembly methods. PVC sure does make a mess when you rip cut it :smiley: Could use the sawdust for scale snow if I kept it clean. Somewhat like a Jenga puzzle, I laid out a 24 scale foot section. I used both 3mm (2.5") and 6mm (5") spacing to compare the look…

I think I like the 6mm spacing at left best. The over-size ties look a little better spaced a bit further apart. This is going to look a little clunky with my 1:29 and 1:24 stuff, but should look OK with 7/8’s if I ever go there. SO… If I can figure out how to build this into a long section, color it and spike rail to it - will it pass muster? Do you prefer the close or wide spacing ? I’m not planning on guard rails. Several of the prototypes that I looked at don’t have them, and because this is a lift-out they would add more complexity to that function.

Jon, personally, I like a little space between the ties… not more than 1/3 of a tie width…

MTCW… :slight_smile:

Looks all lagged out to me. And only 2 spikes, per tie, per rail so you get off easy with that pic. Borrow Bobs spiker Jon. :slight_smile:

Good luck with all those nut, bolt and washer castings…:wink:

Yeah, I’m thinkin’ that this bridge will have spiked guard timbers, not bolted ones :smiley: This is the picture I measured for spacing…

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/Post2/Tie_SpacingSM.JPG)

This is a little more than 1/3 tie width spacing. My “wide” spacing is 2/3 a tie and my “narrow” is 1/3 of a tie. I have a bunch of reasons why I’m leaning to the “wide” spaced version.

I’d lean more toward the wider spacing myself. Less work, and who’s gonna notice?..:wink:

Not to mention your location in the winter. I am not sure whether this will be outdoors during foul weather, but the smaller spacing could allow water to wick and freeze.

My tuppence.

Bob C.

Ken Brunt said:
I'd lean more toward the wider spacing myself. Less work, and who's gonna notice?...............;)
Rooster will notice.... He'll peck that bridge apart..... :)
Andy Clarke said:
Rooster will notice.... He'll peck that bridge apart..... :)
Nope...Jon's nice too me unlike my old man!
Ken Brunt said:
Good luck with all those nut, bolt and washer castings.............;)
I don't know Jon but in looking at the prototype pic it almost looks like you might get away with small pop rivets if you feel like drilling the holes.

There are almost as many different ways of building bridge decks as there are bridges. This one one is on the active portion of the EBT. It was re-built a month or so before this photo was taken 2004…

(http://lsc.cvsry.com/Post2/EBT_RunkRd.JPG)

I decided on the “wide” spacing. I built a jig from PVC and glued up a 24 scale foot section. I decided to use a single 5/8" brad per tie on the guard timbers The indentation is visible through the paint which is drying now or there would be pictures :slight_smile: Edit to add that I also did a spiking test. I could use some better spiking pliers, but I had no trouble pushing 1/2" spikes into the PVC without drilling. 1 tap with a nail set seems to tighten them right up. Now if I can only find the package of them I bought years ago !

I think since I am using Code 332, 250 is going to work just fine for the guard rails. Jon that’s an excellent reference photo.

That is an excellent reference photo. notice the use of guage rods as well…never noticed that before on other photos.

When Jon and I took the speeder ride at the EBT in 2009, the section of track we rode on had nothing but those rods holding the track in gauge.

(http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh58/rgseng/EBT%202009%20Day%202/2009_EBT38.jpg)

They’re not noticeable in the picture, but what is noticeable is they’re are no ties left.

6" spacing
Less ties
more space foe the Snow to melt
It’s your rail road and over all no one caries a ruler!
Sean

Sean McGillicuddy said:
6" spacing Less ties more space foe the Snow to melt It's your rail road and over all no one caries a ruler! Sean
Whats a ruler. :)

A ruler is the lady who lives in the house with you.

for my trussbridge i made the spaces as wide as the sleepers. that does not look too heavy and is easy to build.

(http://kormsen.info/bridges/bruecke1-7.JPG)

That’s what I do, too, Korm. Use ties as spacers, and keep moving down while I’m building.

I’d end up putting the spike in the spacer. Been there, done that more than a couple of times :frowning:

All of my bridges are “tie spaced” as well.
No rulers or RC’s allowed! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: