Large Scale Central

Building the CR&N Deadline:July 2017

Devon Sinsley said:

Oh and I definitely have a few track issues or wheel gauging issues. far to many derailments. I am suspecting wheels need to be gauged.

Devon, Before I place a car in service, it gets properly gauged metal wheels. It saves the aggravation of tracking down the offending cars. Because, sometimes, a bad car will toss a neighboring car off the track, making it look like that is the car with the issue.

Devon Sinsley said:

Joe Zullo said:

Devon,

Don’t you own a caboose yet? All I see running is strings of cars.

Several just none with Kadees. Geez some people just can’t be happy. Takes to long to build, need to get trains on it, no caboose. Geez (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Yea, its our job to prod and push you, you even said so and thanked us for it in some threads. Now quit with the I am sick excuse and get back to woik! (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)After all, we all have our lttle aches and pains. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

The offending car/s all have metal wheels. So I do need to make sure they are gauged properly and also identify track issues. I did find one track issue, a turnout point that wa snot getting pushed up flush against the rail. Tried to fix it and broke it. So that switch is now out and in the shop being repaired. One thing I noticed is the cars that have not been weighted yet seem to be more susceptible to coming off. I have not got around to weighting all the cars yet.

All of this came about because I went home last night to run trains. I was going to use my log car to hold my camera and make a video. But this offending switch and that car just didn’t like each other. I ran all weekend with no issue with this turn out. But this car has much shorter/finer flanges on its wheels and was able to sneak through the gap that other cars and the loco had no problem with.

I will fix the switch before the weekend.

So who makes a good wheel track gauge tool?

I have been happy with this :https://kadee.com/htmbord/page980.htm I run Kadee’s

Believe it or not Aristo made a good one that was more accurate than their trains!

This is a fyi, should you chance upon one, if 2, get the other for me!

I have the Kadee one also since I need it for height. I will have to take and play with my trouble spots. I think though the main issue is wheel gauge and not track. Some cars do great while others foul almost every time.

I’ll keep a lookout for it for you Devon, it is a much more accurate gauge for wheels than the Kadee. The kadee gauges the edges of the flanges, not really the back to back.

In my experience, being fussy with the back to back pays off. Also note the Aristo gauge has a go/no go for the back to back, so you get the real range.

The little plastic levels came loose and I tossed them, not very accurate.

Greg

Calipers work fine, for me.

Cool stuff. When trans run and people have fun, that makes the day.
Oh, and good bbq helps too. :smiley:

Steve Featherkile said:

Calipers work fine, for me.

I use those also

Devon Sinsley said:

The offending car/s all have metal wheels. So I do need to make sure they are gauged properly and also identify track issues. I did find one track issue, a turnout point that wa snot getting pushed up flush against the rail. Tried to fix it and broke it. So that switch is now out and in the shop being repaired. One thing I noticed is the cars that have not been weighted yet seem to be more susceptible to coming off. I have not got around to weighting all the cars yet.

All of this came about because I went home last night to run trains. I was going to use my log car to hold my camera and make a video. But this offending switch and that car just didn’t like each other. I ran all weekend with no issue with this turn out. But this car has much shorter/finer flanges on its wheels and was able to sneak through the gap that other cars and the loco had no problem with.

I will fix the switch before the weekend.

Devon, I made a wheel gauge, since when I started, I had very little practical information coming my way. Checking and properly gauging the wheels made a huge difference in reliability on my railroad. My track may have a few bad spots, but with properly gauged wheels, they are less of a problem. And over the years I have identified and fixed most of the track issues.

As for weighting the cars, I haven’t done that. My cars weigh what they weigh when I got or built them. Weight doesn’t seam to be a big issue, as long as I put the heavier cars up front, and the lighter ones toward the rear, kinda like the 1:1 guys do.

I got this drawing for a gauge from the Saskatoon Model Engineers, and I use it to set the gauge on all the wheels on my rolling stock.

Thanks Dave. Thats all good.

Well awesome day. A winner for the books. After a 10 hour day at work I came home went to Lowe’s and bought some plants for the RR. Came home trimmed them into trees and planted them. Was put till almost 9.

The best part is today was virtually pain free. As was yesterday. It feels great to be productive even if for one day. I will take some pics when it’s light.

Dang, you are doing RR stuff, I need to get off the dime!!! Glad you are feeling well!!! I will have some progress pictures on my post tomorrow I hope ! Now pictures of the plants please

Greg Elmassian said:

Those look fairly simple , you would think someone could make them since they cannot be a copyrighted piece. I guess it’s time to do a eBay or google search

Devon Sinsley said:

Well awesome day. A winner for the books. After a 10 hour day at work I came home went to Lowe’s and bought some plants for the RR. Came home trimmed them into trees and planted them. Was put till almost 9.

The best part is today was virtually pain free. As was yesterday. It feels great to be productive even if for one day. I will take some pics when it’s light.

That’s great news. I’m so happy for you. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I’m glad things are on the uptick, Devon.

So, is it done yet?