Large Scale Central

Building the CR&N Deadline:July 2017

Think that’s a typo, “can’t” is probably what goes there…

Devon, is your deadline July 1 or July 31? I need to know when you have violated your contract.

Greg

Greg, I thought it was pushed back a month, so its in August sometime now IIRC.

And I know that was a typo. But it kant bee, cause Devon iz a writer. Bee ing dat he is a writer, he wood no how too proofreed.

It’s my fault. I haven’t been diligently helping him lately.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Ok to clarify the due date. I would have been the third Sat in July which would have been the 15th which was the club meeting. But I got bumped to the August meeting so thats August 19th. But to honor the title of this build thread and since my birthday is July 29 which is a Saturday I have set the first run for July 29th. I will be making a brisket in honor of the occasion.

Devon

Nice info … but how are you doing building the actual rail road?

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Devon

Nice info … but how are you doing building the actual rail road?

In a moment of weakness I will admit I am feeling a bit defeated. I am at a stall really. Our weather is really not being friendly at all. It will not stop raining. We had the rainiest march since like 1912 or some dumb thing. April isn’t much better. We get one day of sunshine during the week when I am at work and then it rains all weekend. I am feeling discouraged at the moment. It makes pouring concrete difficult, not to mention I don’t want to stand out in the rain. My son tried to move dirt but it was just so wet and heavy it was pointless. I though about laying track on the ladder I have down but I need to move so much dirt that I don’t want to worry about the track. Seems pre-mature.

So this weekend I am going to try an rejuvenate myself and get out there with a tarp and an umbrella and pour my cement regardless. I can also get a little more bench work done. I have an idea for where my ore bin will go that will be mostly made in the shop. basically make that in benchwork as well. I hadn’t thought about it until now but I could also be building my entrance fence and gate. So I think come rain or come shine I will have to get out there and get something done. I have some money scrounged up to get more textile fabric which I can lay down and get crushed rock for walk ways in the done sections. I also with that fabric can go back to wall building. So its just a matter of getting out in the rain and sucking it up.

Devon Sinsley said:

Ok to clarify the due date. I would have been the third Sat in July which would have been the 15th which was the club meeting. But I got bumped to the August meeting so thats August 19th. But to honor the title of this build thread and since my birthday is July 29 which is a Saturday I have set the first run for July 29th. I will be making a brisket in honor of the occasion.

Hey, you want to make an honorary brisket for being able to run a locomotive back and forth on 3 feet of track, who am I to argue?

Any excuse to male a brisket. I might make one this weekend as a sacrifice to the sunshine gods.

I just brought in about three yards of fill dirt. It is somewhat dryer than the stuff my son was messing with last weekend. I have the boys coming over to start haling it tomorrow. I will need to pour the rest of the ladder supports tomorrow to accommodate this. That I can do in the rain if I have too.

Bottom line I have to do something.

Devon Sinsley said: Bottom line I have to do something.

We have been saying that since page 1! Hmmm were on page 48

OK I had a good day on the layout today. First I caught a mistake. I made one two many bents and I am glad I haven’t poured the pad for it. So glad I caught that. Then I dug some post holes for the ladder supports and fit a section of ladder. I won’t pour them in until Sunday. I rounded up my son and his friend. I hired them for the summer to help me. I brought in 3 yards of dirt with a dump truck. They started moving it from the road to the back yard by wheel barrow while I built the rock wall. We built about 8-10 feet of wall. Tomorrow I have a club meeting but at some point I will have the boys back at it for a couple hours more of wall building. I figure I am going to need about 4-5 loads of dirt and a heck of a bunch more rock.

But with the boys help I think we will make short work of it.

I’m having a hard time believing what I ain’t seeing.

Sounds like you are making good progress, Devon. But you know the peanut gallery is going to want pics, as do I(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Ya, even though we get to see your smiling face tomorrow at the meeting, we still want PICTURES!! LOL

Sounds like you’re making some good progress Devon. Sure glad the sun came out for a while today and hopefully even more tomorrow for the meeting. I’m bring a train to run, I’m going through withdraws. I haven’t been able to get out on my layout with all this RAIN and fix the few little things so I can run. See ya buddy.

You all with get pictures Sunday.

Yeah I hope its nice tomorrow for the meeting. And then after. I feel like with the boys working I will get things done.

good luck, Like the sound of your progress! Getting closer to breaking ground here… well should say stacking retaining block walls.

So with the boys help, as I said we built about 8 more feet of wall/raised bed.

And I also got some more of the bench work frame work done yesterday.

I didn’t get around to pouring the ladder supports in. I am thinking I will do a bunch of cement work next Friday morning before the boys get home from school. I have a few bent piers to do. I have also decided to add some more bench work but not sure how that will play out yet where the house and the fence meet. There is a bit having to work in an orderly fashion so I don’t block myself into a corner. I also bought a new roll of geofabric so I can do more wall building and maybe even start doing the walk ways with gravel.

All and all I am motivated and feel good about the weekends progress. Still have a couple weeks vacation to use since I haven’t taken one yet.

WA Hooooo!

Looking good Devon. I like the rock walls.

Page 49…